agm batteries and 2 -strokes

1B865593 75 Optimax. I've just been given an Odyssey Extreme dual purpose battery. Is it safe to use this as a cranking battery on my Optimax? The recent comments about possible ignition damage caused by agm batteries has me concerned. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Absolutely no problem with using AGM batteries with your Optimax, as long as they're charged before heading out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Much appreciated!

4. Member
    For my 2012 75hp Optimax, it came new with a Deca Marine Master group 24 starting battery (lasted over 7 years) never had problems starting the motor, couple of years ago upgraded to a group 27 for piece of mind and bigger fishfinders. My Minn Kota 315D charger keeps all my Deca wet cell batteries fully charged, just check water levels once a month during the season. Extreme Marine keeps my motor humming.

5. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Only issue with this list is virtually all the listed batteries are group 31’s. Those are HEAVY. I’d love to find smaller battery that is hot enough to fire up my 2014 ProXS 175hp

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You might want to read through the entirety of Post #1 in that thread.

It's very difficult to find a Grp 24 or Grp 27 that's going to punch out what you will need for your Opti, PLUS all of your toys.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor