St John's river Places to stay in February

Hello Florida BBC folks. I currently live in Louisville KY and have just gotten to that next stage in life. My wife and i will be looking for a place to make our primary home in Florida. I fish way too much for her to stay married to me... but something keeps her around i guess. So for the ask..... Will be coming to Florida weeks 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 of February and have a place to stay with some friends in Astor on Lake George... Wife wants to see other parts of Florida as well so one week in Astor and one week yet to be determined.

Are there any places I should look at to stay for a week? We are not fancy folks so just looking for a place I can pull my boat to, fish a few days in the area and look around for a place to buy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    thats a tough ?. It really depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. Are you wanting something on the water or just close? The st johns river is a whole different animal fishing wise compared to rest of the state. I would check out areas around the Harris Chain. You can buy on the water or on the outskirts of towns it also has Mt. Dora which the wife may like. I would also check out Lake Kissimmee area not in kissimmee but areas like Kenansville which is out away from hustle and bustle and it's not a bad drive to headwaters/stickmarsh or even the big O. Lake Okeechobee is probably going to be the most cost effective of any place in florida but not much to do there than fish.
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    Merc 225 Pro XS

3. Member
    Palm bay ,Melbourne nice areas with good fishing ,headwaters ,the beach,great salt fishing right there

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassanine View Post
    Hello Florida BBC folks. I currently live in Louisville KY and have just gotten to that next stage in life. My wife and i will be looking for a place to make our primary home in Florida. I fish way too much for her to stay married to me... but something keeps her around i guess. So for the ask..... Will be coming to Florida weeks 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 of February and have a place to stay with some friends in Astor on Lake George... Wife wants to see other parts of Florida as well so one week in Astor and one week yet to be determined.

Are there any places I should look at to stay for a week? We are not fancy folks so just looking for a place I can pull my boat to, fish a few days in the area and look around for a place to buy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This is exactly what is killing Florida. We cant fit half the retired US moving here within our state. Its also why resident's born and raised here cant afford a home because every tom dick and hairy are buying everything. Please dont add to the problem of housing shortages, traffic jams, pollution, higher taxes and more retires by moving here. The more land they clear for people like you the more our state gets degraded and the worst fishing gets. The Florida Panther is one example of what is being wiped out by all this development from people like yourself wanting to relocate here. Its just the brutal truth. We dont have the room any more. We have been invaded to the point where we are like a pot of boiling water sitting on the stove boiling over and out onto the floor because capacity has been reached.

5. Member
    The Maulers back! You do whats best for you - can only live your life. Many fine areas in Florida to relocate to.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

6. Member
    I read the comment first and said it’s got to be the Manatee Mauler ! I get his point but I am not sure anything is going to stop people from coming to Florida…
    If everyone had this same energy to go after the boats poisoning every lake in your state it might be more valuable

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    This is exactly what is killing Florida. We cant fit half the retired US moving here within our state. Its also why resident's born and raised here cant afford a home because every tom dick and hairy are buying everything. Please dont add to the problem of housing shortages, traffic jams, pollution, higher taxes and more retires by moving here. The more land they clear for people like you the more our state gets degraded and the worst fishing gets. The Florida Panther is one example of what is being wiped out by all this development from people like yourself wanting to relocate here. Its just the brutal truth. We dont have the room any more. We have been invaded to the point where we are like a pot of boiling water sitting on the stove boiling over and out onto the floor because capacity has been reached.
    How do you really feel...urban sprawl is not just a florida issue.
    2019 Phoenix 920

Mauler should open a B&B. I could see him sitting there around a fire pit telling his guests how they are messing up everything and how it used to be. Then adding a get out of Florida fee on the bill. It could be like the B&B version of this place https://www.odditycentral.com/travel...with-that.html
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

9. Member
    It’s not like the man wants to relocate to a place that’s not for sale. Somebody has it for sale.
    2019 Phoenix 920

What area are you looking at outside of Astor?

Let us know where you’re looking and we can help recommend at place.

The Palm Bay / Headwaters would be a good option.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

can see it now CALLED MAULER'S BATES MOTEL

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
    can see it now CALLED MAULER'S BATES MOTEL
    With a big sign out front - 'NO you ARE NOT welcome here!"
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    And that sign will 100% drive customers to it, like a moth flies toward a flame.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

14. Member
    And NO Vacancy For Out Of Stater's.

15. Member
    The Maulers back! You do whats best for you - can only live your life. Many fine areas in Florida to relocate to.
    The mauler made it to around 2:10 today if anyone keeping track.

16. Member
    He posted something political, and it vanished within minutes. His profile said active for a while that happened so I have to believe he was given something of an opportunity to be cool about the post being brought down or he was being given the explanation as to why he was gonna be banned.

Maybe it was just the 7 day variety, and he’ll be back in time to tell everybody to go somewhere other than Florida for Spring Break.
    -David Daye

17. Member
    How do you band someone from having an opinion on a website?

18. Member
    There are fewer rules in the lounge, but the visibility is greater. Get caught breaking a rule, and then you have to explain for yourself. It’s happened to me before - being moderated - but how you handle yourself with the mod or site owner is usually what determines the outcome.

One is free to express any opinion they want, but they are not free from the consequences of that choice.
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    Click on the Lounge page & read message at top of page. Evident that rule was broken.

20. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    Matt must of made the cardinal sin of venturing outside of the Fl. forum. lol I learned that lesson long ago. Way to easy to get sucked down a rabbit hole if you enter "the lounge"