Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New tournament permit regulations

Weigh-in and Special Use Permits

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission issues fishing tournament weigh-in and special use permits for each NCWRC Boating Access Area (BAA) to ensure that only allowable activities occur and that multiple large events do not occur at any site, thereby helping to manage congestion and user accessibility. These permits are issued at no fee and mailed to the permit holder.

BAA Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Permits will be issued when the requested boat numbers are less than 80% of a requested BAA's trailer space capacity except between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Applications received between Memorial Day and Labor Day permits will be issued when the boat numbers are less than 60% of a requested BAA's trailer space capacity. The applications can be submitted for no more than 90 days in advance. All tournaments require a BAA permit regardless of the number of boats. Permit applications must be submitted online and at least ten days in advance.

We will no longer issue blanket permits (L15). You must apply for each event date.

Special Use Permit applications are issued for activities other than fishing tournaments, such as tents, construction, and triathlons, which are issued on a case-by-case basis. The applications can be submitted for no more than 90 days in advance. Permit applications must be submitted online and at least ten days in advance.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    So what are the consequences for an example, if, an 8 boat club tournament shows up to a ramp without a permit. It happens multiple times a year when a large tournament has a permit.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

3. Member
    Thank you for the info update. That will change the way we schedule. We always vote next location at each tournament.

4. Member
    Liberals at their best.

5. Member
    Found out about this late last year when trying to finish up a couple schedules. They're just now going public with it. Wonder how MLF is going to go about getting permits now?

I can see the positives and negatives from this. As long as they don't start charging for permits I'll deal with whatever. I have a feeling that day will eventually come.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

6. Member
    Any permit requests that were sent in before November still fall under the old rules. Wildlife told me that the L15 permits were no longer allowed because they had no record of who was fishing where and there have even been reports of fights between clubs at some of the ramps.
    Tommy Stewart
    2007 Ranger 521VX
    Lunkerlure@msn.com

7. Member
    I guess NC is turning into a communist state like the rest of the north, this is sad. This will almost put an end to tournament fishing in NC. I don't remember seeing this come up for vote or public discussion. Is there anything we can do now?

Wildlife is full crap, there is a fight at Falls lake ramps just about every Saturday/Sunday in the summer and it's not the bass fishermen but all the drunks that have been driving around on the lake all day. Maybe we should ban all the drunks?? I've lived and fished tournaments in NC all of my life and I have never heard of a fight at a boat ramp involving tournament fishermen. True I've not been at all of them but again I've never even heard of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerlure View Post
    Any permit requests that were sent in before November still fall under the old rules. Wildlife told me that the L15 permits were no longer allowed because they had no record of who was fishing where and there have even been reports of fights between clubs at some of the ramps.

8. Member
    I wonder what the penalty is for no permit.

9. Member
    In Mo it’s 50 hours community service for the person/persons hosting the event and a $100 fine. But let me say I bet everyone of you on here who wants to host a tournament can get the permit. I always say in Mo so please forgive that as I know I live here. The cost is Free for the Midwest. I would hope there is no cost in NC.

10. Member
    I agree with you 100% about who and what the actual problem is. I also spoke with the Army Corp of Engineers about getting a permit for Poe's Ridge at Lake Jordan. They still grant them for the winter months and weekdays but no longer for the weekend starting in mid April through Labor Day. Their reason for this was that the ramp parking lot becomes too crowded during the Summer. I don't understand why they can't have the same 60% capacity rule like wildlife does? Pretty much sounds like rules are being implemented to benefit the pleasure boaters.

Quote Originally Posted by jnaumuk View Post
    I guess NC is turning into a communist state like the rest of the north, this is sad. This will almost put an end to tournament fishing in NC. I don't remember seeing this come up for vote or public discussion. Is there anything we can do now?

Wildlife is full crap, there is a fight at Falls lake ramps just about every Saturday/Sunday in the summer and it's not the bass fishermen but all the drunks that have been driving around on the lake all day. Maybe we should ban all the drunks?? I've lived and fished tournaments in NC all of my life and I have never heard of a fight at a boat ramp involving tournament fishermen. True I've not been at all of them but again I've never even heard of one.
    Tommy Stewart
    2007 Ranger 521VX
    Lunkerlure@msn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerlure View Post
    I agree with you 100% about who and what the actual problem is. I also spoke with the Army Corp of Engineers about getting a permit for Poe's Ridge at Lake Jordan. They still grant them for the winter months and weekdays but no longer for the weekend starting in mid April through Labor Day. Their reason for this was that the ramp parking lot becomes too crowded during the Summer. I don't understand why they can't have the same 60% capacity rule like wildlife does? Pretty much sounds like rules are being implemented to benefit the pleasure boaters.
    I agree that it sure appears that these rules are being implemented to benefit the pleasure boaters. I mean, since the Army Corps of Engineers charges per vehicle to park at Poe's Ridge, why else would they care who is paying the parking fee? Who benefits more, a small bass club who takes the time to get the permit and pay for the parking spaces or a bunch of jet skiers and wake boaters?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    I agree that it sure appears that these rules are being implemented to benefit the pleasure boaters. I mean, since the Army Corps of Engineers charges per vehicle to park at Poe's Ridge, why else would they care who is paying the parking fee? Who benefits more, a small bass club who takes the time to get the permit and pay for the parking spaces or a bunch of jet skiers and wake boaters?
    How would letting bass tournaments, just tournaments not ever dudes just fishing, have 60% of the parking capacity be a rule made to benefit pleasure boaters. Sounds to me like these rules are aimed at preventing tournaments from filling a parking lot and not leaving room for anyone else. How is that a bad thing?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by jnaumuk View Post
    I think you are overreacting a bit. Not sure how making sure a public resource is available to all is communist. And no, this will in no way put and end to tournament fishing in NC. That statement is way, way over the top. As to what you can do now, I guess you can try to come up with a reasonable argument for why tournaments should get preferential treatment at ramps.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I think you are overreacting a bit. Not sure how making sure a public resource is available to all is communist. And no, this will in no way put and end to tournament fishing in NC. That statement is way, way over the top. As to what you can do now, I guess you can try to come up with a reasonable argument for why tournaments should get preferential treatment at ramps.
    Maybe the answer is as simple as shortening tournament hours.
    6:00am to 12:00pm? It allows for the quality hours for fishing, but should alleviate some of that early afternoon backup, not to mention all the bass guys are off the water prior to the drunks arriving.
    Just a thought from a non-communist former Northguy

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    6:00am to 12:00pm? It allows for the quality hours for fishing, but should alleviate some of that early afternoon backup, not to mention all the bass guys are off the water prior to the drunks arriving.
    ONE- no tournament has EVER blasted off at 6am Its still dark.
    TWO- The First time I’m told “weigh in is at 12:00” will be the first time I ask for my money back and go fishing for fun that morning. I think its bull shit that we have to weigh in at 2 in the summer!

The back ups and controversies will happen no matter what anyone changes. It’s part of the attitudes that people carry these days. Patients is always a must and If you need to leave quickly you better load it up 30 minutes early.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

16. Member
    Personally I think there should be no permits required at all on public water using a public ramp. Public water/public ramp should be open on a 1st come 1st served basis for everyone, tournament or not. If you have a tournament or are just normal boating, you get to a ramp and it's full you move to another ramp or another lake. Everyone has a right to the access. Show up to the Wrightsville beach public boat ramp at 11am on a Saturday in the summer and see if you get a parking spot. No one is guaranteed access on any day at anytime, it's just not possible.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEZER View Post
    ONE- no tournament has EVER blasted off at 6am Its still dark.
    TWO- The First time I’m told “weigh in is at 12:00” will be the first time I ask for my money back and go fishing for fun that morning. I think its bull shit that we have to weigh in at 2 in the summer!

The back ups and controversies will happen no matter what anyone changes. It’s part of the attitudes that people carry these days. Patients is always a must and If you need to leave quickly you better load it up 30 minutes early.
    Sunrise 6/20/2024
    6:01 am
    First light 5:30

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    How would letting bass tournaments, just tournaments not ever dudes just fishing, have 60% of the parking capacity be a rule made to benefit pleasure boaters. Sounds to me like these rules are aimed at preventing tournaments from filling a parking lot and not leaving room for anyone else. How is that a bad thing?
    It is a bad thing because now the tournaments are being singled out and denied access. Poe’s Ridge was never allowed to exceed 50% capacity for tournaments, the other 50% was open for the general public. On top of of that, the average on a tournament day was about 25%, leaving 75% for the general public. No one should be denied the opportunity to utilize the resource, but now the tournament anglers are made to be outlaws.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    6:00 AM is to early to start is it is dark and noon actually seems to be a peak time of activity. I think that is when a lot of pleasure boaters show up.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Member
    My small club has a new member who is a former game warden. According to him, he has spoken with current wardens and the penalty for having a tournament without a permit is $250 per boat. Our club applied for and has received permits for our first two tournaments. We have discussed other options such as using non wildlife owned landings or weighing in on the water to avoid this situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast