Thread: Rod building

Rod building

Hey guys, I want to attach a hook keeper to a couple of rods. What type of glue or adhesive should be used?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Thread would be the best way, could wrap it like a rod guide. Plenty of videos on how.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Member
    On baitcasters, just drill a hole in the trigger.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Thread would be the best way, could wrap it like a rod guide. Plenty of videos on how.
    Wouldn't you need an adhesive to seal it?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Thread would be the best bet. I would recommend to use rod building thread, size D would be the easiest to use.

youll need a stand (don’t need anything fancy for very infrequent repairs, even a wooden one with felt to protect the rod, or could be as simple as a cardboard box with notches cut in)

something to add tension to the thread (simplest would be a heavy book and run the thread through it)

2 part epoxy (I like threadmaster high build for quick stuff, here’s a link to a syringe kit that would be enough to basically do 4 full bass rods but is the cheapest option: https://mudhole.com/collections/thre...ed-syringe-kit)

cheap hobby paint brushes.

There’s a lot of videos on YouTube that can talk you through it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Go to Mud Hole videos and it will show you how to wrap a guide and a hook keeper. I like to use wraps around my bait and have drilled holes through the trigger on the handle on some rods I built. I am disappointed with that as it’s hard to wrap my baits. I am going back and putting conventional hook keepers back on them. You can order hook keepers cheap from Mud Hole or you can make your own out of thin cotter pins.

7. Member
    Got it, thanks guys.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    2022 Falcon F195

I make them from a paper clips, set them on the rod with a small spot of super glue, and wrap with sewing thread (several layers and extend beyond the keeper.) After wrapping, apply fingernail polish to the thread. Let it dry, then continue adding coats. The thread will absorb the polish and eventually it will create a nice smooth finish. Buy the fingernail polish that has the color as the other wraps on your rod or that you like. Never put hook keepers below the reel, as some mfgs do (????) - I guarantee that one day you will pick it up and get a handful of hooks.

I have done many eyes, tips, and hook keepers like this and have never had one come off. I have rods that were repaired 35 years ago like this and components are still tight.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

10. Member
    Just get some Fuji EZ Keepers

11. Member
    If it's a good rod and you want a pro look, then find a rod builder near you. He might charge around 15 dollars per keeper, but it will be perfect.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S