Has anyone reshafted their steel shafted clubs with graphite shafts?

Thinking about it as I prep for carpal tunnel surgery with trigger finger release and ulnar nerve surgery upcoming on Monday. Other arm gets done a month later. Lots of golf swings and lots of casting and reeling has taken its toll. Still work out and pump the iron for flexibility and strength and try to improve wherever I can.

I like my clubs-taylorMade p-790’s but need to reduce wear and tear on the body whenever possible because I plan on a lot of rounds after this surgery. Friend has a newer set and his 7 iron has worn a spot out already. He looked at mine and was po’d as my showed not nearly the wear but we’re older and heavily used. So maybe I should try and keep those club heads and reshaft them with graphite.

just wondered if any of you older golfers have tried a switch on shafts and any tips you might have.

Thanks

2. Member
    Bearetta,

The first time I placed graphite shafts in irons was in my Callaway Apex CF-16 in 2017 when they were new. I went with the UST Recoil. Believe the model was 660 or 680 Stiff. I then swing weighted to a D0. I just got my 40-year anniversary present from my employer and I chose a new set of Callaway Paradym's. I ordered these irons with the Project X hzrdus gen 4 silver 75 graphite shaft.
    I say all that to say if you change out your steel shafts for graphite shafts you will more than likely have to measure and adjust swing weight in your present clubs to keep the same feel of the irons. Most all graphite shafts are not as heavy as their steel shafts. Not the case on all, but most. Some people say it doesn't matter, but I have been tinkering with golf clubs for 30 something years and I disagree. Example: The brand-new Callaway Paradym's were off up to .5 swing weight on the 5 iron through 52-degree wedge. I counterbalanced all the irons except the A wedge 2-3.5 grams.
    Graphite feels a lot better on joints for sure. I know materials in the present day irons are different than when we first started playing. They are not just chunks of forged metal, but I believe they are a lot better. I hit the ball just as far now as I did in my 30's. Accuracy ebb and flows with the day.
    Lots of solid data on the internet about your questions. Have a great day!
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenroadie View Post
    Bearetta,

The first time I placed graphite shafts in irons was in my Callaway Apex CF-16 in 2017 when they were new. I went with the UST Recoil. Believe the model was 660 or 680 Stiff. I then swing weighted to a D0. I just got my 40-year anniversary present from my employer and I chose a new set of Callaway Paradym's. I ordered these irons with the Project X hzrdus gen 4 silver 75 graphite shaft.
    I say all that to say if you change out your steel shafts for graphite shafts you will more than likely have to measure and adjust swing weight in your present clubs to keep the same feel of the irons. Most all graphite shafts are not as heavy as their steel shafts. Not the case on all, but most. Some people say it doesn't matter, but I have been tinkering with golf clubs for 30 something years and I disagree. Example: The brand-new Callaway Paradym's were off up to .5 swing weight on the 5 iron through 52-degree wedge. I counterbalanced all the irons except the A wedge 2-3.5 grams.
    Graphite feels a lot better on joints for sure. I know materials in the present day irons are different than when we first started playing. They are not just chunks of forged metal, but I believe they are a lot better. I hit the ball just as far now as I did in my 30's. Accuracy ebb and flows with the day.
    Lots of solid data on the internet about your questions. Have a great day!
    Thanks! That info is helpful to start my digging around on the subject. Feel and feedback is huge for me in golf. Just like a good fishing rod setup, your results on good product setup will improve with practice and quality gear. I have at least two months of rehab to read the internet! I appreciate your response WR.