SmartCraft Reading Problem

My SmartCraft Gauge was reading the incorrect trim level. After trying to recalibrate a few times I found the trim sender wire was broke. While trying to recalibrate I threw most of my readings off. I installed the new sending unit and the gauges are still not reading correctly and showing if the boat is in use. Do I need to reset the SmartCraft to factory reset? If so, will this restore the hours on the boat. It reads 1 hr when it should be about 900. Is there something else that could be wrong? Thanks for any assistance . 2006, 200 hp Mercury Opti Ser#1B274474

SmartCraft #1.jpegSmartCraft#2.jpeg

2. Member
    Engine hours can NOT be reset. The hours are stored in the PCM

3. Member
    Thanks for that info Savage. When I turn the power on the RPM, trim, speed (which typically does not work) and other readouts keep moving, Ex, the RPM goes up to 3000-4000 drops to zero and then back up. Do you know if I should factory reset or if there might be another problem? I don't guess I can create a problem by resetting to factory default?

4. Member
    Sounds like you are losing communication with the motor. Check all connections between the motor and the Smartcraft gauge. Look for a pinched/cut spot in the wiring. Make sure your connections inside the cowl and under the dash are clean and tight.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

5. Member
    Thanks FeFanatic, no additional cut wires and connections are all tight and clean. I think you are correct, it is not communicating with the motor. So, I spliced the wire on the prior sender and reconnected it. It gets no different reading from the old sending unit, new sending unit, or being disconnected.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger296TF View Post
    Thanks for that info Savage. When I turn the power on the RPM, trim, speed (which typically does not work) and other readouts keep moving, Ex, the RPM goes up to 3000-4000 drops to zero and then back up. Do you know if I should factory reset or if there might be another problem? I don't guess I can create a problem by resetting to factory default?
    I think you have set the instrument to Demo Mode.

Suggest you simply perform a Master Reset, then set up appropriately. Be very careful about turning things on that weren't on when it recognized the engine- as many of them may not even be present.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, thank you AGAIN! The reset worked as you expected. The gas used reset to zero, but I expect I can reset that once I run it again.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor