Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chatter Bait rod material?

So, i have been throwing a Jackhammer on a St. Croix Mojo solid glass rod. I feel like my hook up ratio is low. What is everyone’s preference for a chatter bait rod and why? Looking for feed back on Solid glass vs half glass half graphite vs graphite. Thanks.

I fish 2 rods. Cashion Icon Chatterbait Rod and NRX 853c

Both have been money for me up to 1/2oz. Both are graphite

I purchased a NRX 883C last year and was very disapointed as this rod was designed for chaterbaits
    Last edited by Mr.Bass; 01-06-2024 at 01:06 PM.

3. Member
    My favorite chatterbait rod is an ALX Rumble which is a graphic rod with a glass tip section.

4. Member
    What line are you using, and typically what size chatters and how do you fish and retrieve the chatters?

My chatter bait rods that worked very well vary depending on the size and weight of the chatter/trailer as well.

For all around with 30lb braid + leader for 3/8-1/2,
    I haven't fished a better rod than the Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming. For 1/2-1 oz, same type line, I prefer my Otterod custom MHX 907CB. For smaller 1/4 I like a 6'10" med power/mod-fast in a shorter length with 8lb CXX...the rod that I used most was the Legit Design Wild Side 6'10" Med/Mod-fast.

So many other rods as well, including a sleeper in the Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MH/Mod-fast, braid+leader, or fluoro/non-braid works just fine with this Rod's taper and power.

My favorite chatterbait rod is a Shimano B 7’2” MH Glass.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    What line are you using, and typically what size chatters and how do you fish and retrieve the chatters?

My chatter bait rods that worked very well vary depending on the size and weight of the chatter/trailer as well.

For all around with 30lb braid + leader for 3/8-1/2,
    I haven't fished a better rod than the Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming. For 1/2-1 oz, same type line, I prefer my Otterod custom MHX 907CB. For smaller 1/4 I like a 6'10" med power/mod-fast in a shorter length with 8lb CXX...the rod that I used most was the Legit Design Wild Side 6'10" Med/Mod-fast.

So many other rods as well, including a sleeper in the Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MH/Mod-fast, braid+leader, or fluoro/non-braid works just fine with this Rod's taper and power.
    I am using the Target Crankster 6’10” solid glass Mojo. Running 12# floro with 3/8th jackahmmer chatter baits. I am pretty sure the evergreen rods are solid glass like the St. croix. I just wonder if the Solid glass rod is to limber and maybe I should go with a half and half rod for a little more power on the hook-set . I feel like the St. Croix Glass rod is as good a glass rod product wise as there is. Thanks for the reply.

7. Member
    Never been a big fan of glass rods. I like fishing braided line and really slamming the hook home and feeling like I get a solid hookset. I used a 6'8 MH F for years, but started using the St. Croix legend tournament bass rip-n-chatter with the Iact glass. It's 7'2" Heavy power moderate action and it's easily the best chatterbait rod I've ever used. Solid hookset, plenty of power to pull fish out of the grass, but a really nice soft tip that gives the fish time to get it and feels really nice fighting the fish also. Rarely miss or lose any on it.

I throw bladed baits, buzzbaits, and large spinnerbaits on a St. Croix 7’0” MHMF Legend Tournament Sweeper Spinnerbait rod. It’s the best all around rod I’ve ever owned. And perfect for chatterbaits.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I throw chatters on a MH-Fast in open water and a MH-mod-fast (composite) in grass.

A full glass rod with a jig hook likely won't do so well.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I am using the Target Crankster 6’10” solid glass Mojo. Running 12# floro with 3/8th jackahmmer chatter baits. I am pretty sure the evergreen rods are solid glass like the St. croix. I just wonder if the Solid glass rod is to limber and maybe I should go with a half and half rod for a little more power on the hook-set . I feel like the St. Croix Glass rod is as good a glass rod product wise as there is. Thanks for the reply.
    The Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming is a JDM rod that is the workhorse series...it is glass scrim perhaps, and likely mid-high modulus graphite...it is night and day difference versus Evergreen North American rods.

This is the Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming and Brett Hite on Toledo Bend...he uses it for bigger topwaters, for which it also excels, as well as lipless and buzzbaits and bigger squarebills and cranks.

If I were to consider a glass rod with braid + leader, for 1/2 -1 oz, it would be the Rebellion 7'4" Heavy Glass.

I keep reading about and hearing the pros talk about only fishing a chatterbait on a glass rod. I fish crankbaits on a glass rod and tried using one for chatterbaits with disastrous results...way too many lost fish. I switched to my standard spinnerbait rod and solved the lost fish problem. One other thing that I found the pros recommend that my experience disagrees with. They use reels with high gear ratios. I tried that and got tons of short strikes. I switched to a standard 5.1:1 crankbait reel and solved the short strike problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Never been a big fan of glass rods. I like fishing braided line and really slamming the hook home and feeling like I get a solid hookset. I used a 6'8 MH F for years, but started using the St. Croix legend tournament bass rip-n-chatter with the Iact glass. It's 7'2" Heavy power moderate action and it's easily the best chatterbait rod I've ever used. Solid hookset, plenty of power to pull fish out of the grass, but a really nice soft tip that gives the fish time to get it and feels really nice fighting the fish also. Rarely miss or lose any on it.
    St. Croix makes one of those in the Mojo series. I think I am gonna go with that rod and swp to braid with a floro leader. What brand and test braid and floro do you use? Thanks.

13. Scraps
    Maybe like suggested step up into a heavier action. Can find last year’s Legend series around here for 20% off. A couple of those rods in HVY would be perfect for chatterbaits. I use a couple Powell composites that feel more like graphite than glass but fish like glass.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    While it looks like you are going to go with the Mojo rod, a couple others would be a Phenix X Series and the Fitzgerald All Purpose composite 7'3" heavy.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    While it looks like you are going to go with the Mojo rod, a couple others would be a Phenix X Series and the Fitzgerald All Purpose composite 7'3" heavy.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
    Those are all great rods and I am glad to have gotten the feed back on rods and what actions, powers and line to use, But, I have a large stable of St. Croix Mojo's and I like to keep my rods as close to the same feel as possible. As far as I know St. Croix only has one Glass blank they use. The heavier action Mojo is right up my alley. I feel like going to a heavier rod with braid will definitely make a difference.

16. Member
    Yeppers that works...so long as it fits the end user's purpose and intentions.

17. Scraps
    Those are all great rods and I am glad to have gotten the feed back on rods and what actions, powers and line to use, But, I have a large stable of St. Croix Mojo's and I like to keep my rods as close to the same feel as possible. As far as I know St. Croix only has one Glass blank they use. The heavier action Mojo is right up my alley. I feel like going to a heavier rod with braid will definitely make a difference.
    I really like the style blank tapers St. Croix uses, true parabolic, moderate tapers for moving baits.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    St. Croix makes one of those in the Mojo series. I think I am gonna go with that rod and swp to braid with a floro leader. What brand and test braid and floro do you use? Thanks.
    I think the mojo is straight glass and not iAct glass which is a glass blend. Still going to be a good rod and the 7'2" Heavy moderate should fish similar. Might just be a little heavier and less sensitive the LTB model. I don't usually use a flouro leader unless I'm in crazy clear water. Straight braid for me 30-40lb usually. I like to take a black marker and just make sure the last 3' or so is really black.

19. Member
    NFC Xray NEO (I think it's Zentron glass), NFC Delta Hybrid 7106 (Zentron) or Hydra FL4 (ALX Toadface).

20. Member
    Probably caught more chatterbait fish on my Loomis frog rod than any other. Don’t like it for frogs. It also is a great
    6” swimbait rod.
    But now using Dobyns Champion 736 cb for main chatterbait rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast