Bass Fishing the Missouri River (In Missouri)

So back story: I've pretty much strictly bass fished Missouri and Arkansas deep clear ozarks lake my entire life with a sprinkle of trout fishing the White/Norfork (generated) and Buffalo Rivers (natural), I'm originally from Mt. Home Arkansas, transplanted to Missouri in 1997 but continue to fish the Ozark lakes and a private community lake close to home (which pretty much goes dormant when water temps reach below 50).

In this area river jet boats are the ticket and something I have zero interest in BUT, I live 8 miles from the ramp on the Missouri River in Washington Missouri. I'd like to take advantage of the convenience of bass/hybrid/striper fishing close to home in the winter months with the lower boat traffic and cleaner water. I'm running a glass boat with prop outboard and frankly the Missouri River just spooks me in more ways than one. I've asked around for years and bass fishing this area of the river is a rarity or big secret, no, there's no clubs that bass fish it. I've seen some folks do it but this is really catfish country, I already chase bass and have no interest in cats. Bass fishing big rivers would be all new so any suggestions would help me out. Any one fish the Missouri River?

Yes, I know folks fish the Mississippi River for bass and do fair. I don't fish it cause I could do the same trip to LOZ or Twain travel wise.

No, I don't want to buy a jet rig. ;)

Any help would be great, thank folks.

2. Member
    I've heard of and seen some pictures of really nice hybrids taken from the Missouri. Large mouths have to be in there but I never hear of anyone fishing for them there. My son just moved to Wash,MO and was talking about going on the Missouri there too, but was pretty intimidated by the river and its current.

Never been, but watch out for wingdams. It looks like the center channel is pretty well defined though for barge traffic.

There are a couple creek arms that look like it could be decent, but I would imagine the water would be pretty shallow in them, hence the jet rig.

Good luck!

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Not your part of the river but one thing for sure is you go north of Sioux City Iowa and it is a completely different river. It’s clean and full of smallmouth, pike and largemouth. beautiful river up there
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    There is a ramp outside of Herman where the MO and Gasconade meet. Been a few year (10 plus) since I have fished that section but was some decent fishing in the Gasconade.

6. Member
    Do they have decent mapping out on it? Sometimes it places like that can be sneaky gems, hidden in plain sight type deals.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Yes, I've been researching em, it's not a locked river so it can be shady.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Do they have decent mapping out on it? Sometimes it places like that can be sneaky gems, hidden in plain sight type deals.

Fished that area a couple of times, it's just a longer run by water or road.

Quote Originally Posted by NattyLite View Post
    There is a ramp outside of Herman where the MO and Gasconade meet. Been a few year (10 plus) since I have fished that section but was some decent fishing in the Gasconade.