Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kllr bee

Would Venom Vents void Mercury warranty?

Just watched video about Venom Vents and they make a big time difference on excelleration and top speed on a 450R that was tested on. Would adding Venom Vents void a Mercury warranty seeing that all it did was increase airflow? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee
    Last edited by kllr bee; 01-04-2024 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Misspelling

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    Just watched video about Venom Vents and they make a big time difference on excelleration and top speed on a 450R that was tested on. Would adding Venom Vents void a Mercury warranty seeing that all it did was increase airflow? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee
    Not really sure, BUT altering the carbon foot print from the original design on a Mercury, other than for specific race purposes, could be a federal crime! (according to Mercury & EPA)

3. Kllr bee
    Do you work for the EPA? I think increasing air flow would help a motor run leaner and more fuel efficient than the stock configuration. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

4. Member
    The canned response from Mercury is that a product is not approved for use with their motors, because they have not tested it.
    Of course they never will test it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    I think increasing air flow would help a motor run leaner and more fuel efficient than the stock configuration.
    In a carbureted model, perhaps.

In an EFI model, the greater the amount of air into the motor the greater the amount of power that it can produce. The ECU will sense the greater amount of air and then increase the amount of fuel accordingly. And at very high power levels the motor is made to run with an even richer air/fuel mixture.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post

In an EFI model, the greater the amount of air into the motor the greater the amount of power that it can produce. The ECU will sense the greater amount of air and then increase the amount of fuel accordingly. And at very high power levels the motor is made to run with an even richer air/fuel mixture.
    The Mercury system doesn't work that way. There is no O2 sensors to mesure the air/fuel ratio and adjust for it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    The Mercury system doesn't work that way. There is no O2 sensors to mesure the air/fuel ratio and adjust for it.
    almost sure the 4 strokes have o2 sensors?

https://parts.promarineusa.com/produ.../1/1/8M0142695
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post

Yes, I was thinking of the 2 strokes.

9. Kllr bee
    The computer is designed to take the air intake and match with fuel output and be efficient. More air and more fuel makes more fun efficiently. Look the product up and watch the video. Those intakes make a big difference.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

10. Member
    Boy for that much they better do something 1500 for a couple plastic vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    No 02 sensor needed. Manifold pressure and air temperature are the basic determinates of fuel scheduling.

12. Member
    Can't speak for Mercury's but I can't recall any Yam four stroke using an 02 sensor.

A few Yam two stroke models did but they were somewhat problematic. Sensor would get clogged from oil in the exhaust.

13. Member
    I know guys down here on the Texas coast are running a door that replaces the stock one with a scoop and they are seeing up to 8mph and 3-600 rpm increase. Benefit with this one is you don't have to cut up your cowling its just 4 bolts to replace the door. The company is called Rockbottom designs on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by zyphyon View Post
    I know guys down here on the Texas coast are running a door that replaces the stock one with a scoop and they are seeing up to 8mph and 3-600 rpm increase. Benefit with this one is you don't have to cut up your cowling its just 4 bolts to replace the door. The company is called Rockbottom designs on facebook.
    Sorry-----Have to throw the instant replay flag on that one.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyon View Post
    i would have to see a legit video and data on this one! so merc doesn't allow their engine to run to full potential by design? the small hp v-8s are choked down with a throttle body but 250 and up should be wide open?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    i would have to see a legit video and data on this one! so merc doesn't allow their engine to run to full potential by design? the small hp v-8s are choked down with a throttle body but 250 and up should be wide open?
    Yes, that's how most outboards are the same block for multiple different HPs and the are restricted down depending on what HP they are rated at.

17. Member
    A lot of interesting responses on this, but the only guy I want to hear from is mysteriously staying silent on this!
    Pool 10

18. Member
    He has several videos on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094757504593
    I'll say that's their claim is up to 8mph that could be a stretch, however I do know that it has increased my partners boat by about 4 mph and 400 rpm on a flats boat.

Oxygen sensors are rarely used for fuel trim at Wot on any engine. Startup and Wot is ran in speed density
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post

Actually, this statement is flawed. Exactly HOW will the ECU sense the greater amount of air, by which sensor and under which PCM Calibration Table will those multipliers be located?

According to the Warranty Manual, Pages #6 - #7, that would adversely affect coverage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast