Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

z20 thinking of going to lithium batteries question

i currently have a z20 250 4s.dual 10ft blades,36v trolling motor 4 led acid batteries. Thinking of going to lithiums,has anyone done this and is it worth the cost from a performace standpoint? Is a single 36v battery better than 3 12's?

2. Member
    Depends on the "performance standpoint" you are referring to. Speed or electrical power? The electrical power longevity is awesome, but you will need to change the way your boat is set up, and even then, it will probably lose speed.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    Depends on the "performance standpoint" you are referring to. Speed or electrical power? The electrical power longevity is awesome, but you will need to change the way your boat is set up, and even then, it will probably lose speed.
    sorry.yes i was referring to speed gain.

4. Member
    More likely to loose speed than to gain it. Holeshot will be better though.

5. Member
    I think I lost a little speed when I swapped mine over, but to be honest I so rarely have chances to run wide open with smooth water it is kind of hard to know for sure. That said, a MPH or 2 is totally worth the tradeoffs of having lithiums. It is really nice to not have to worry about batteries while fishing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    If you want to add weight fill your live wells. It will offset some of the weight.

I went to all lithiums, power is awesome. 125ah cranking and it runs 4 graphs, M360, M live, Bluetooth stereo, dual talons,live wells and after 8 hours only down to 60%. I didn’t loose any speed. 23p fury and I’m around 72 tournament loaded. Want a 24p fury.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

I just have never had a real issue with a lead acid battery. Sure they may fail faster or more frequently. I run 2 12s and a 16, ran livewells all day this weekend, as well as using the PPs a few times. No issues. All on an interstate AGM.

So if there is no speed gain why would anyone switch. I can understand the longevity issue.... and the price is getting close to making it worthwhile if u can keep your batts for 10 years.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I just have never had a real issue with a lead acid battery. Sure they may fail faster or more frequently. I run 2 12s and a 16, ran livewells all day this weekend, as well as using the PPs a few times. No issues. All on an interstate AGM.

So if there is no speed gain why would anyone switch. I can understand the longevity issue.... and the price is getting close to making it worthwhile if u can keep your batts for 10 years.
    im going on 3 years now with my 125AH cranker. Running all my electrical items off cranking battery. Honestly would have costed $300 plus to get the 80-90lbs X2 which may or may not last 3+years of constantly depleting. Along with my lithium trolling batteries, I saved 200lbs off the rear boat. Plus there is way more in bilge area for access to pumps and what not. I also like the Bluetooth connectivity to see what state of charge my batteries are all the time. With proper weight distribution and prop setup 3-5 more mph is achievable. I have probably 1-2” less boat in water for better super shallow draft. I am super please with my decision to go with lithiums. Maybe it’s ease of mind knowing batteries last all day or knowing I’m not lifting them out of boat every 2-3 years.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyboy View Post
    i currently have a z20 250 4s.dual 10ft blades,36v trolling motor 4 led acid batteries. Thinking of going to lithiums,has anyone done this and is it worth the cost from a performace standpoint? Is a single 36v battery better than 3 12's?
    Yes, go with the single 36v Battery.

We offer the 36v-60 and 40Ah

Call if you need some help with your system

Do the benefits of lower speed, shallower draft, and not having to hoist a battery every 2-3 years make the costs work. I dunno....I have 100% piece of mind my AGM can handle it, but it will need to be replaced under warranty in the next year at some point.

Now do I want lithium, yes. And I think the costs are getting reasonable, plus everyone wants them for some reason. so helps resale
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    I bought Lithium batteries simply because I don't like lifting heavy batteries every few years to replace with new. Folks who swap batteries every 3 years are spending the same money as Lithium in the long run (do the math). The question of do the benefits outweigh the cost relates to a lot of unneeded things we put on boats such as power poles, 4 sonar unit, etc. To each his own...

13. Member
    don't forget the big issue people don't like to talk about. Fire hazard. Lithium Pro burned a buddies boat, garage, jeep, 4x4 and more to a crisp 2 years ago. I would never have one unless garage was detached and would only charge if I was around. I would think 3 12's would be better than one 36 in the case of battery going bad. You could always put a regular 12v in to get by instead of waiting a week for a replacement 36. I've had enough friends and customers who've had problems with their batteries and/or chargers.

14. Member

i'm with ya,i run 1 pro guide 31 series and run everything with no issues. So it sounds like i have no benefit to spending $2500. I was wanting some speed.

15. Member

I had nothing but problems with my factory interstate agm. Multiple warranty replacements before I just got a lithium, and later went to lithiums for trolling. For me knowing battery charge percentage on my phone is a big peace of mind deal, and I love being able to do multi day trips without having to worry about charging batteries. They have a nice flat voltage curve, so you maintain full voltage on graphs even when the battery is getting low.

I totally agree that if you swap your boat every few years, or if you don’t fish often lithiums probably aren’t worth it. But if you plan on keeping them a while and fish all the time, it’s a great purchase. They are getting cheaper and cheaper too.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post

how does 1 36v trolling battery hold up?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post

Maybe someone can help me here. Making the jump to lithium as well. I like the idea of the 36V single battery for my Ghost. The concern is no backup if something goes wrong, is it worth having the redundancy of a second in parallel.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    Maybe someone can help me here. Making the jump to lithium as well. I like the idea of the 36V single battery for my Ghost. The concern is no backup if something goes wrong, is it worth having the redundancy of a second in parallel.
    Yes. Run 2 36v-40’s in parallel that way if there is an issue with one you can continue to fish.

would be glad to help

205-965-8436

Bill

Call Bill @ Impulse and he will get you set up right!

I have been running the 24v kit from Impulse since August of '22 and it's awesome! It came with a 12v 105 AH cranking battery, single 24v 60 AH trolling motor battery, single bank on board charger and the Impulse "charge on the run" converter. I rarely get below 60% on either battery even fishing full tournament days. I just fished an 8 hour club tournament where I only ran the big motor a short ways the whole day, livewells were running all day along with 3 Helix 12 graphs. When I got off the water, the cranking battery was at 64% and the trolling motor battery was at 72%. And it takes about 3 hours to charge both batteries back to full!

I did lose a little top end speed so I'm still working on weight distribution in the boat. I removed about 70 lbs of batteries when I switched so trying to get more weight to the back of the boat.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

20. Member
    For redundancy with the Ghost, I would get 3 12v batteries. Then if you have a problem with one you can simply switch over to 24volt on the Ghost and keep fishing. Then you only have to worry about replacing the one battery and not the whole 36v batt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast