1. Member
    Not braggin' but my tacklebox isn't Plano, Flambeau or Versus, it's MAERSK
    Proverbs 28:1

A lot of 3-4 inch swimbaits, and alot of hair/feather/rubber/silicon jigs

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post

4. Member
    I only bring seasonal tackle. However, I bring every season - winter, spring, summer and fall. I am a tackle doomsday prepper and my boat is my shelter. If the boat's floatation ever fails and I take on water I have enough crankbaits to keep the boat from sinking.

5. Member
    Seasonal for me, but that even turns out to be too much!

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My previous 80 mph rig is now a 70 mph rig.....

If I had to guess I would say a dozen rod and reels. As for tackle I definitely could fit all of the containers in a kitchen size garbage bag. I carry far less tackle than most people but I do have a variety that serves my style of fishing. In reality although I feel like I carry less tackle than most I could still trim down what I carry.

Too much!! LOL!!

9. Member
    Trying to carry less this year.

Headed to Chickamauga tomorrow with 1 box that has some jig heads for a small swimbait, blade bait and lipless crankbait.

10. Moderator
    My little 518 is pretty much packed to the brim. I fish withy 2 boys about every time it gets put in the water. So there is plenty for all 3 of us. We usually are all throwing something different until we get dialed in.

11. Member
    I carry way too much. When we were packing for our move to Kentucky, I was surprised at how much I offloaded.

12. Member
    To much for sure.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post
    That’s funny right there!

14. Member
    I wished I only carried just what I owned. I need to find some kids that like to fish and unload some stuff

More than I need. Think I have 10-12 3700 boxes, spinnerbait box, and 4 bags of plastics. Plus misc stuff in a hard storage box, and what is in the glove box. I really would like to get to carrying less. Usually I take out stuff I don't use in the spring, but I have a habit of adding stuff back with enough time.

Probably have 18 rods in the boat.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

16. Member
    More rods than tackle. 28 rods. 5 of those are spinning rods. A box with lead and hooks for t-rig, c-rig, dropshot. Another little box with shakeyhead, swimbait heads and Ned heads. Another box with cranks of various depths. A few poppers, walking baits, and prop baits. A bag or two of swimbaits, worms, craws. Couple spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. If I get low on whatever is working I've got plenty in the shop to restock. I pour all of my own lead stuff.

Many/most of you say that you carry way too much tackle, most of which you never use...not only never use on each trip but don't even use throughout the season.

Serious question: If you don't use all that tackle, why carry it? Is it a like a "security blanket?" Is it kinda like a tackle collection that you like to take with you and show off? Or, are you addicted to your tackle and you'd experience withdrawal if you left most of your tackle at home?

The reason I ask is because I used to do exactly the same thing...carry way more rods and reels and tackle than I could ever use in one trip, some of which I wouldn't use over an entire season. The reason I carried all that tackle was because I was completely and thoroughly convinced that for each day on the water, there was a "magical" lure...that one lure that would catch more fish than all of the other lures combined. And, I didn't want to risk the possibility that I would be caught on the water without that "magical" bait. Then, I heard a seminar by Gary Klein where he talked about how the 'secret or magical" lure syndrome was the downfall of most fishermen. Believing in "magical" lures kept their attention focused on their tackle (which is EXACTLY what tackle companies want you to do), rather than what really matters...the effect of seasonal patterns on the location of bass and how weather and water conditions affect their mood and activity level. This was also about the same time that I read the series of articles that Clunn did about seasonal patterns and read Rick Zaleski's book, "Advance Bass Fishing Techniques," which talked a lot about the environmental effects on daily fish behavior.

This is the point that I started culling tackle. I only kept the tackle that had proven itself over many years. The rest I sold at winter fishing swap meets. I also started only carrying the baits that were relevant to the type of fishing I was going to do on a given day on a given body of water. In the 15 years since culling tackle, I can not recall a single instance where I was out fished because I didn't have a particular lure...or at least one that I could borrow from a tournament partner. Now, I only carry 2 colors of jigs and plastic baits...black/blue and green pumpkin. I only carry about 6 spinnerbaits and about 12 vibrating jigs...half that hunt and half that don't in 3 sizes...somedays that makes a big difference. I only carry 5 frogs. My entire crankbait box contains 4 Rat-L-Traps, 5 Shad Raps, 3 jerkbaits, 6 D Baits, and 2 AC Shiners. Now, as I posted in another thread, I only carry 4 - 5rods and enough tackle to fill one of the plastic ammo boxes that Harbor Freight sells. If I "must" carry more tackle, I can get it all into one of the small soft tackle bags that B.A.S.S. gives away with a membership renewal.

These tools will get the job done...not only on my home waters, but anywhere I fish. I have found is that what's MOST important is finding fish based on seasonal patterns. Once I find them, depth is crucial. Once I think I'm fishing the right depth, then the action of the lure is most important. If I'm not catching fish, it's not because of the baits I'm throwing...it's because I haven't found them. Time to move and try other locations. Since I changed my perspective and culled tackle, I catch far more and bigger fish than before...not less.

Maybe this will help you beat your tackle addiction!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Too much most of the time. I'm a tackle junkie addict.

19. Member
    8 rods 5 boxes. I don’t usually do a lot of color changes (old eyes) and I ruined a new rod pulling it out of a Ranger rod tube. So that’s why only 8 now. I have an 18 foot boat.

20. Member
    My boat is my tackle storage. I fish a lot on the spur of the moment. I don't want to unload/reload tackle to go fishing. Therefore, I keep all I own in the boat. I will rearrange throughout the season for quick access to things to fit the moment and I do the same for tournaments. But I don't take anything out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast