Anyone in Stewart's Draft Va?

Plan on driving from Tennessee to St Lawrence River in June, coming up I81. Looking for safe hotels to spend the night as it's about halfway. Any recommendations?
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

2. Member
    Did you mean Stuarts Draft, VA? Stuarts Draft is a little out of the way if you are going up I-81 and there are no hotels there. If you are on I-81 just go a little further up the road to Staunton, VA. There are more options for hotels right of the highway or further into Staunton itself. Someone from there might pipe in with a recommendation on hotel, but I believe that most of the ones in the Staunton area would be safe.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
    Did you mean Stuarts Draft, VA? Stuarts Draft is a little out of the way if you are going up I-81 and there are no hotels there. If you are on I-81 just go a little further up the road to Staunton, VA. There are more options for hotels right of the highway or further into Staunton itself. Someone from there might pipe in with a recommendation on hotel, but I believe that most of the ones in the Staunton area would be safe.
    This ^^^

Define safe? Virginia isn't Somalia so you're not going to get stabbed or carjacked in the parking lot. Washington DC OTOH...

5. Member
    look at hotels in Waynesboro or Staunton

I'll shoot you a PM
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Stuarts Draft is basically a small town in between Waynesboro & Staunton. Waynesboro has nicer places to stay than Staunton, but it's a tad out of the way as you'll have to get on I-64. Staunton is about 10 miles north of Stuarts Draft
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

And is Stuarts Draft really halfway? I don't believe you're too far from Knoxville and that's about a 5.5 hour drive for me.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    The only places along 81 I've stayed overnight is Fishersville/Stuarts Draft (Hampton Inn I think) and Winchester (Red Roof Inn or similar) but that was long ago. Neither was bad as I recall and my recollection of Fishersville was actually pretty good. However, I travel 81 a LOT and stopped in every notable city/town along 81 in VA for gas, lunch/dinner, or some reason or another to go there (I lived in VA for decades). I have never seen an area I would absolutely avoid. The only place I consider avoiding is Roanoke only because it is one of the largest cities along 81 in VA and there may be a better chance of taking an exit that could lead to a sketchy area or at least high traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    And is Stuarts Draft really halfway? I don't believe you're too far from Knoxville and that's about a 5.5 hour drive for me.
    McMinnville is about 2:15 to 2:30 from Knoxville depending on where you are going.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Are you towing a boat? When we used to take I-81 from the St Lawrence to Texas towing a boat, we would stay in the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express in Woodstock, VA. They had good parking lots for a vehicle with a trailer. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Staunton as well but never had a trailer but it would have been a tight fit. In general, Holiday Inn Express have bigger parking lots that are more trailer friendly than Hampton Inns typically do but use Google satellite view to verify.

We still make the trip between the St Lawrence and Texas but we no longer take I-81. Crap roads, few alternative routes if caught in an I-81 accident, very hilly (but also very scenic), tons and tons of trucks on those hills, 65 MPH limits in PA and NY and other things. We now cut across NY on the Thruway at Syracuse and then onto I-71 to start heading west and south through Columbus, Dayton and Indy. It's shorter, flatter, faster speed limits, cheaper gas and far more hotel and food options. There are much better ways than I-81 to get to the SLR from the Nashville area.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 01-03-2024 at 01:43 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Many thanks for your help guys. Meadows, replied back.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

Sent a text if your number hasn't changed
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)