Oil leak at casing

Hello. I have a 1998 Mercury 225 EFI on my bassboat... I walked past it the other day in the garage and seen oil on the back of the casing. I know sometimes unburned gas appears on the outer casing after idling but that's not what it is this time. There's more of it this time and the boat hasn't been ran since this appeared. I pulled the hood but couldn't see where it was coming from. I store the motor in the down position. Bad seals somewhere? Pic attached

IMG_20240102_161947789_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by wjhuskey; 01-02-2024 at 06:39 PM.

2. Member
    I have a '06 225 Opti and I've noticed the same thing. No idea where it's coming from.

3. Member
    In both cases, need to pull the cowl and side chaps to locate leak source.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 got a bad leak , check bleed hoses also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +2

Did you perhaps fog the engine?

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +2

Did you perhaps fog the engine?

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    No I didn't fog engine.
    Serial # 0G68-2033