2013 Mercury Pro XS 175 hp Question Please!

Just a day or two I was on a lake when I hit a small floater not any bigger than a small ball bat. I was moving at a slow speed of around 5-10 mph. I did raise the motor to look if there were any obvious concerns and saw none. I w heading to the ramp where I loaded the boat. I made a more in depth inspection of the motor and only thing I found was the small hole at the very the front of the lower unit above the lower unit gear housing area was stopped up with what appears to be wood. I think this small hole might be related to the speed port where water entering the hole determins the motor/ boats approximate speed. Would a easy way to remove this small amount of wood from this hole be to take a small needle and basicaly pry this wood out of the hole?
    Last edited by Speedboat; 12-31-2023 at 12:31 PM.

use a handheld pin vise with a small drill bit. With todays GPS we longer need pressure speedo systems, such pain to keep them clear.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    As I thought lpugh, I am not that sure that the wood in this speedo hole is from the instance I spoke of but at any rate the hole is stoped up. As you suggested I had planned to take a very small drill bit or a paper clip and work to clear the wood from the hole. Not though till the temps rise a bit, it's a little cool outdoors. Thaks again Sir!

4. Member
    lpugh I just used a very small drill bit to clear the bits of wood from the petot tube hole in lower unit housing. Now I believe I have knocked the connecting tube from petot hole to the speedometer off the petot. Question is will this allow water to get into the lower unit or should I not worry? Yhanks

5. Member
    No issue

6. Member
    Thanks, Savage, for your response. I thought this but just had to get response from someone smarter than me. I've got Humminbirds with GPS and that take care of my boat speed readings. Now I have my concern with pitot hole and tube taken care of guess it will be time to head to Badin and Circle Dr. in the morning. Thanks again Savage.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Great that you cleared the clog it is possible to trap water in the passages that can freeze and potentially cause a pesky little crack in the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor