Garmin Transducer Recommendation

Hey Guys. I am switching from 100% Lowrance to 100% Garmin Echomap Ultra units. I have installed a GT-54 on the trolling motor and bought a GT-56 for the transom. Will the GT-56 maintain depth readings consistently for me while on plane if placed correctly on my Nitro Z9? If not, what in hull transducer do I need? Will i need an adapter for pin count? Thanks for the input.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Excellent choice in unit for the swap over.......You could put the GT56 on transom and get a reading IF in the sweet spot and done correctly but if you are willing to go another route, i'd suggest to go with the GT8/GT36 combo.....same as the GT56 just separate ducers so you can put a shoot thru......if you buy this combo (in link below) it will come with a everything you need.....keep in mind that the GT8 still needs to be place in the correct place to have good readings.....

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/735593
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    ^^^This^^^

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

4. Member
    I have the gt8/gt36 combo also , its the way to go on a bass boat
    mount the gt36 on a jack plate if you have one

gt8 does 2d sonar when on plane
    gt36 does clearvu and sidevu equivilent to 56 for sidevu
    gt56 does all three but will not work with the gt8 and Y adaptor
    gt54 does all three but sidevu not as good as 56 or 36

Too bad you bought the 56 already , wont work as well on a pad - step hull
    Maybe you can return it , it costs about the same as a combo
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Excellent choice in unit for the swap over.......You could put the GT56 on transom and get a reading IF in the sweet spot and done correctly but if you are willing to go another route, i'd suggest to go with the GT8/GT36 combo.....same as the GT56 just separate ducers so you can put a shoot thru......if you buy this combo (in link below) it will come with a everything you need.....keep in mind that the GT8 still needs to be place in the correct place to have good readings.....

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/735593
    ^^^This, and then put the GT56 on trolling motor.

6. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I suspected I would need a shoot thru hull for consistent depth.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    ^^^This, and then put the GT56 on trolling motor.
    How do you put a 56 on TM, I was told by several Garmin people it doesn’t fit. That a GT54 is the biggest transducer it can accommodate

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoPro View Post
    How do you put a 56 on TM, I was told by several Garmin people it doesn’t fit. That a GT54 is the biggest transducer it can accommodate
    What trolling motor??? I had on on my Ultrex......had to make a few cuts in the plastic bracket to make it work but no issues......

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    What trolling motor??? I had on on my Ultrex......had to make a few cuts in the plastic bracket to make it work but no issues......
    Fits my Fortrex as well...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

10. Member
    I see Garmin is making the 56 a built in on the Kraken , wonder how long before they integrate it on the Force . Maybe they`ll sell it as a new nose for the Force as an up grade . I've kept a 54 from buying graphs in case I damage the one on the Force and need to replace it .
    Not sure I`d see a benefit to a 56 on the Force anyway , I use the signal from the 36 on the jackplate for side scan on bow graphs . 56 doesn't really have a benefit for sd sonar does it ?
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayaemer View Post
    Hey Guys. I am switching from 100% Lowrance to 100% Garmin Echomap Ultra units. I have installed a GT-54 on the trolling motor and bought a GT-56 for the transom. Will the GT-56 maintain depth readings consistently for me while on plane if placed correctly on my Nitro Z9? If not, what in hull transducer do I need? Will i need an adapter for pin count? Thanks for the input.
    With todays mapping and GPS, I'm not sure of any benefit to reading depth on plane. If worried about shallow water or obstructions, by the time you see a problem it would be far too late.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There are alots of lakes that are not mapped at least the ones i fish.....but yes, if your going fast, it may be to late......

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    With todays mapping and GPS, I'm not sure of any benefit to reading depth on plane. If worried about shallow water or obstructions, by the time you see a problem it would be far too late.
    Never really thought about that , feel like I`m kind of naked without some reading of depth . May be an age thing , I`m used to seeing it , have forever. Can you sue the guy that surveyed the lake for mapping if you hit something
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon