Thread: Black Eyed Peas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

2. Banned
    Yup and greens

I expected some varied responses to black eyed peas. I hated them when I was a kid. My mom and grandmother were both old school superstitious southern ladies. I thought the family was doomed if I didn't eat those nasty things on New Years Day. As an adult I have developed enough of a tolerance of them and also learned how to cook and season them so they're pretty good. Cooked with some ham hocks and green bean snaps in chicken broth they turn out okay. I'm going to grill some pork chops that came in the Omaha Steaks gift that my Bro-in-law gave us for Christmas. Just my wife and I, and I'm on Ozempic, so we don't require a lot of food. Sour kraut sounds good but my wife won't come within 10 feet of it...turnip or collard greens either.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    I’m in. For luck or money, I’m not taking any chances. If you know how to cook them, black eyes are delicious. Down here, we can make anything taste awesome.

5. Member
    For our family [down several generations] it’s always been pork and sauerkraut/cabbage on New Year’s. Nothing against any type of pea/bean. Put some smoked pork hock in with them and fine eating.

6. Member
    I will start soaking my black eyed this evening. I saved a ham bone to use for seasoning. Started smoking a Boston butt at 7:30am this morning. Collards, sweet potatoes and cornbread will be prepared as well for tomorrows New Years Day meal.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Member
    Tomorrows menu
    Ham
    black-eye peas
    Turnip greens
    and Cornbread.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Love black eyed peas! Would cook some up if I was home, but staying with a friend and she doesn’t have any. (And says not in her house!). Hope my luck doesn’t run out!

MIL makes cabbage and BEP.

Brings up a question…pretty sure I’ve only ever had canned BEP…do y’all actually make ‘em from the raw bean?

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    MIL makes cabbage and BEP.

Brings up a question…pretty sure I’ve only ever had canned BEP…do y’all actually make ‘em from the raw bean?
    You can find fresh black eyed peas in most grocery stores, especially this time of year...around here anyway. I don't use them because they cook so fast before you can really season them up real good and then they fall apart and turn into mush.

I use dried black eyed peas, NEVER canned. I do them just like I do pinto or navy beans; put them in water and bring it to a boil and then turn it off and let the soak for a hour or so....pour off the soaking water and cook them in low salt chicken broth. I say low salt because salt will make beans take forever to cook, add salt after the beans are cooked. I'll add some chopped onion and garlic and a scatter of fresh green beans and ham hocks. The store didn't have any fresh green beans this morning so I'll probably skip that this time...I don't eat any type of canned vegetable or fruit.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstick View Post
    Tomorrows menu
    Ham
    black-eye peas
    Turnip greens
    and Cornbread.
    Same here, but we always have some hog jowl or streaked meat fried in skillet.

12. Member
    For sure! My momma would disown me. Will have peas soaking tonight, and will have a big pot of Hoppin John cooking for dinner tomorrow. Served alongside a mess of collard greens and corn bread with some banana pudding for dessert.

-b-

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I like black eye peas, cornbread and jowl bacon with a big ol glass of buttermilk. I currently don't have a tradition of eating them on New Years. My mom eats cabbage and my wife use to do the black eye pea thing. We have stop it as a tradition. I think its because I got her to realize that eating a particular bean on particular day has zero effect on my outcome for a year. I do not buy into the whole "luck" think. I refuse to believe that superstitions alter my future.

greens n hopin' jon here

15. Member
    Anyone fixin some palm hearts?

16. Member
    Black peas and sausage and jalapeņo cheese cornbread in my house tomorrow. We don’t eat them for luck we eat them because they are awesome and it’s a family tradition.

Black-eyed peas with a little smoked rib meat
    Cabbage cooked in butter
    Homemade cornbread
    A 5lbs. Prime Rib
    A variety of frothy beverages
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Member
    No one eats stewed tomatoes with black eyed peas?

19. Member
    I do with turnip greens & sliced pork belly. Cornbread too.

Usually my yankee wife cooks (boils) corn beef and cabbage for new years. I tried three stores and couldn’t find a corned beef point.

So, I’ll be making black eyed peas with smoked ham hocks, double smoked/glazed spiral cut ham and corn bread.

Greens sounds like a good idea as well. So does a pot of hoppin John but as of now I’m invested in black eyed peas.
    Last edited by BigEasy; 12-31-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast