2001 196 Champion Elite

I think I have my Tachometer going out. Is there anywhere I can get a OEM tach? 200 hp Optimax motor. Thanks! 2001 196 Champion Elite.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    On the side of the tach will be the mfg part number usually stamped in black ink. The manufacturer's name will also be on it somewhere. Google the mfg and that part number. I know the Mtn Home boats used Teleflex Red International then Red Domed International later on. Teleflex sold to Veethree Instruments. Your 2001 would be at the beginning of the Genmar boats, so it is entirely possible they changed with the ownership. My 07 has Faria and 08 & up had Actia. When you find out what it is, you can contact Mark Talbert at C&O Marine in White Bluff, TN. He may have an OEM tech. https://www.teamcandomarine.com.

3. Member
    Thank you! Much appreciated!

4. Member
    If you lay under the dash with a flashlight, find the back of your tach and note the number/setting its at, take a screw driver and move the dial back and forth about 6-8 times and return it to the number it was at. Sometimes this will clean the contact and you will be good to go.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    If you lay under the dash with a flashlight, find the back of your tach and note the number/setting its at, take a screw driver and move the dial back and forth about 6-8 times and return it to the number it was at. Sometimes this will clean the contact and you will be good to go.
    I read something to that effect and did that today. Will be going out tomorrow to see if it works! Thank you for your reply!

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Something else to check is the voltage regulator. On the Merc EFI I had a while back, they had 2 voltage regulators. The tach was tied to one of them (gray wire if memory serves). My tach would drop bout 400 RPM running across the lake and I could tell by the sound of the outboard it wasn't the engine slowing down, nor did my speed drop off. I took the tach lead off of the VR it was on and moved it to the other VR and that fixed the tach issue. Mercury recommended replacing both VRs at once, so I did that. Just another idea before you go looking for a tach.

7. Member
    Thanks will check that out next!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    On the side of the tach will be the mfg part number usually stamped in black ink. The manufacturer's name will also be on it somewhere. Google the mfg and that part number. I know the Mtn Home boats used Teleflex Red International then Red Domed International later on. Teleflex sold to Veethree Instruments. Your 2001 would be at the beginning of the Genmar boats, so it is entirely possible they changed with the ownership. My 07 has Faria and 08 & up had Actia. When you find out what it is, you can contact Mark Talbert at C&O Marine in White Bluff, TN. He may have an OEM tech. https://www.teamcandomarine.com.
    TX Champ! Do you think this Tachometer from Great Lakes Skipper would work? VeeThree part # 1103816-BP25?? THANKS!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    When I bought my 198 the tach was showing 800 rpm without the engine running. The above fixed it.

Ronnie
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
    When I bought my 198 the tach was showing 800 rpm without the engine running. The above fixed it.

Ronnie

Something else to check is the voltage regulator. On the Merc EFI I had a while back, they had 2 voltage regulators. The tach was tied to one of them (gray wire if memory serves). My tach would drop bout 400 RPM running across the lake and I could tell by the sound of the outboard it wasn't the engine slowing down, nor did my speed drop off. I took the tach lead off of the VR it was on and moved it to the other VR and that fixed the tach issue. Mercury recommended replacing both VRs at once, so I did that. Just another idea before you go looking for a tach.
    Voltage regulator was the problem with mine. You could see through the clear potting on the back that it had a short.

12. Member
    Went out yesterday and after taking the advice from STLBassBuster, my tach is working normally!! I adjusted the settings dial back and forth about 6 times and reset it back to its original setting, which was 6P. Worked as advertised and was really close to my smartcraft digital rpms. Thanks to all who replied!

This is what happened to me about 14 years ago. I just replaced one regulator cuz I wasn't smart enough to think to do both at once. but....I have had no issues this many years later. tried the trick that worked for you with no luck. Glad it worked for you, way cheaper!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    This is what happened to me about 14 years ago. I just replaced one regulator cuz I wasn't smart enough to think to do both at once. but....I have had no issues this many years later. tried the trick that worked for you with no luck. Glad it worked for you, way cheaper!

15. Member
    Does the settings dial need to be moved back and forth while the engine is running or can I do it with it off?
    My tach is jumpy as well
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

This method fixed the tech for my Yamaha. I did not have the motor running when moving the setting. Just take a photo of where it is when you start so you make sure to return it to the correct setting
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    Does the settings dial need to be moved back and forth while the engine is running or can I do it with it off?
    My tach is jumpy as well
    I made the adjustment with the motor shutoff.As illinfish said, remember where the dial is set at before you begin, then rotate dial 6 to 8 times back and forth and put back in starting position. Mine was set to 6P. Good luck!

18. Member
    Thanks Champ 2001 and Illinfish
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI