Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinnerbait Rod - Suggestions?

Thinking I might get a couple of dedicated rods just for spinnerbaits. I throw 1/4oz. to 3/8oz. baits. Looking for 6'10" or 7'0" rod. What are you guys using for throwing spinnerbaits?

TIA!

2. Member
    I used a Toadface for several years and liked it but last year I started using an ALX Rumble for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits and absolutely love it.

3. Member
    I’ve really liked the Levante Diablo specr but I want to say it’s 7’2”

4. Member
    843 MBR

Ark rods Tharp Series Grinder composite rod. Cheap and just about the best 3/8 oz spinnerbait rod I have used

They make several models in composite series

I throw mostly 3/8 oz and my SB rod is the G Loomis SBR812. I have two f them and bought both from BBC'ers here. I throw SB's probably 75% of the time I'm on the water. If they start hitting, I don't put it down. I have the maroon blank from yrs back. it's the best SB rod I've used and that's a long time. I'd look at the new SBR812, entry models from G Loomis, the expensive ones are not necessary for a moving bait. IMO I will add.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

7. Member
    I throw a lot of the zman sling bladez power finesse spinnerbaits in rivers. I really like the Shimano expride 610M for this. For the 1/4oz baits you really need something lighter than most traditional spinnerbait rods.

If you're an ALX fan, the Zolo Rosa is a great choice as well (although it's 6'9").

Lastly, and also 6'9", I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Daiwa Steez AGS Universal Light for this too. It's double or more of the other 2, but man thats a special rod for so many things.

The GLoomis IMX Pro Spinnerbait rod.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    NRX 843 mbr
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MH ModFast...and does well with larger lipless, topwaters, swimjigs, chatters, braid+leader or mono/copoly/fluoro.

FWIW, when I weigh my 1/4 and 3/8 spinnerbaits with trailers, the 1/4 come in just under 1/2 oz and the 3/8 are usually about 7/10, just under 3/4.

I am heading down this road too, not happy with any of my latest spinnerbait rod tests. I throw mostly 3/8 and 1/2oz, once in a while I'll throw 1/4oz and 3/4oz. I'll be following this closely.

12. Member
    Yeah it makes a huge difference what exact spinnerbait and trailer you throw. The zman slingbladez finesse spinnerbaits have smaller frames and smaller blades than most 3/8oz spinnerbaits. The megabass sv3 in a 3/8oz is a noticeably heavier bait for example. And inthrow mostly without a trailer so the lighter true medium power rods work well for me.

13. Member
    Falcon Cara Headturner is a fanatastic spinnerbait rod.

14. Member
    Zolo Dream all day!

The Megabass Destroyer P5 Blade is an excellent enthusiast level spinner bait rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    Falcon Cara Headturner is a fanatastic spinnerbait rod.
    That's what I was going to say as well....6'10" 6 power....Or Expert or Lowrider depending on budget. I have also used a 5 power 6'4" Falcon Lowrider Spinnerbait Special for over 20 years but they don't make those anymore.

After breaking 3 Shimano rods in a row, I'm buying NOTHING but FALCON from now on.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    I also use a Zolo Dream

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    843 MBR
    This right here. Glx is my choice.

19. Member
    FWIW on true weighted 1/4-3/8 + trailer...my Evola 7'0" Med Mod-fast is better than any rod I have ever owned or used, including MBR 842 GLX, MBR 843 IMX/844 GLX, Rebellion 6'10", etc.

YMMV...but I suggest you get an accurate total weight for the baits you intend to mostly toss along with consideration of the type line you will use. IMO a 6 power head turner Falcon is way too much power for a true(r) 1/4-3/8 spinnerbait, especially with lighter wires/smaller and lighter gauge hooks.

20. Member
    I still have and currently use when I use nite time spinnerbaits. Both are Allstars. A wr1 and a Zell Rowland special(original, before they changed it) Both are the best. Yes they are short rods for todays standard, but nonetheless great rods!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast