Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12/26 crazy day report!!

So my work is closed over the holidays (go back next Tuesday) We moved our last Christmas to this Saturday because of a few people under the weather…So I thought I would go fishing at a new lake in Missouri. This is when the fun begins. I was on the road at 6am there was a few flurries in the air. Stopped at the gas station in Vallisca needed a few snacks and drinks. When I came out it was starting to snow a little heavier. Kept pushing south, snow got way worse! Couldn’t see anything,road was white. Finally drove out of that right before Clarinda plus it was getting light so that was good. Turned west on highway 2 to head into Clarinda when I went over the bridge the trailer got a little Squirrley. Wow a little slick I guess. I noticed the road looked a little different too. Turned south again on 71 about halfway to Braddyville the boat and truck started sliding up a small hill!! My hart just about jumped 2 beats! What the heck is going on. I slowed down to 40mph and gave it a little gas to feel it out and yep solid ice on the road…. I was definitely nervous because of the trailer. I’ve driven on crappy roads many times (I’ve lived in Iowa my hole life) but NOT pulling a trailer. I stopped at the Trex on the border to gather my thoughts, looked at the radar on my phone ect. Thought if the highway is this slick what would the boat ramp be like? Is it steep and will I get stuck? Crap man what to do? I walked out to see what the highway felt like and it was a skating rink, I couldn’t believe it. I decided to head back to a lake I know and new I could get into. Made it to 34 and there was a few state truck out witch was good because 34 was slick too. Once on the water the fishing was great!! Jig was the best but jerkbaits, and blade did well too. Water has warmed up a touch I saw 41.7 once but mostly 41.4. It was a very fun day there was a couple white out snows Lol… got one big and three over 3lb and 20ish 14” bass.
    Super fun to be out this late and have a good day catching.
    IMG_3186.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg

2. Member
    Did some shopping today at Jordan creek and the Scheels guy said people are returning all the ice fishing gifts they got for Christmas Lol. Talk about busy good grief it was a mad house i could tell kids are on break they were everywhere….But man don’t adults have to work?

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Nice uns! You're a trooper.

I've had a boat trailer get squirrely on me coming over an icy bridge before. That was forty years ago. Have never pulled on ice again.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Nice uns! You're a trooper.

I've had a boat trailer get squirrely on me coming over an icy bridge before. That was forty years ago. Have never pulled on ice again.
    I’ll try my hardest to avoid pulling anything on slick roads!! That was not cool!!

5. Member
    Man am I jealous! Out of curiosity, which lake in Missouri were you planning to go to? And how big was the one you're holding in the first pic?! That's a very nice fish!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Man am I jealous! Out of curiosity, which lake in Missouri were you planning to go to? And how big was the one you're holding in the first pic?! That's a very nice fish!
    Thank you! That was a 5.78lb..Super fun fishing in the snow that day. But no fun driving on that ice. I was going to Patterson farm (Bilby) lake. The way it turned out I’m glad I turned around.
    I did make that trip later in the week and did not catch a fish there or mozingo.. the wind was really blowing that day and it made mozingo pretty rough.

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Bilby is one awesome pond. I was in a tourney where I had 20lbs but winner had 26lbs. I won another one there with 23lbs. I have also had and seen some pretty tough days there too. Only thing that sucks about that lake is long gravel road.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Bilby is one awesome pond. I was in a tourney where I had 20lbs but winner had 26lbs. I won another one there with 23lbs. I have also had and seen some pretty tough days there too. Only thing that sucks about that lake is long gravel road.
    Yea he got 26 pounds and got to the lake two hours late.
    John the Garage Doorman

9. Member
    It’s a neat lake that I’m learning about and going to try more in the spring. Does it have carp in it??

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Yea he got 26 pounds and got to the lake two hours late.
    I forgot he was in your boat John! I also forgot he was late. I thought I had that tourney won with over 20lbs! Nope
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    It’s a neat lake that I’m learning about and going to try more in the spring. Does it have carp in it??
    Can’t say Ive ever seen carp but even worse is it has a s**t load of snakes especially in west cove
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

12. Member
    Oh crap I hate snakes!! What are they just water snake? I might have to take some tree pruners. I don’t want them getting in the boat.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Oh crap I hate snakes!! What are they just water snake? I might have to take some tree pruners. I don’t want them getting in the boat.
    ”just water snake” are you crazy? all are deadly to me
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I forgot he was in your boat John! I also forgot he was late. I thought I had that tourney won with over 20lbs! Nope
    I struggled all day for 5 fish for 8 pounds. Think that was my worst day all year. Except Anita where 3 fish would get you 3rd place.
    John the Garage Doorman

15. Member
    LOL are you allergic to snake bites Jim?

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    LOL are you allergic to snake bites Jim?
    I just friggin hate them!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

17. Member
    Thank you! That was a 5.78lb..Super fun fishing in the snow that day. But no fun driving on that ice. I was going to Patterson farm (Bilby) lake. The way it turned out I’m glad I turned around.
    I did make that trip later in the week and did not catch a fish there or mozingo.. the wind was really blowing that day and it made mozingo pretty rough.
    I was wondering if it was Mozingo. My fishing buddy and I went to Mozingo two Springs ago and were pumped since we felt we were timing it just right and we always enjoy going to a new lake. We fished there for 8-10 hours and caught a whopping 3 bass, with the biggest being about 2 pounds. Talk about being disappointed! We left late afternoon and headed to lake Wapello, a lake we fish once or twice a year. Wound up fishing Wapello the next day and caught 40-50, so I’m still not sure what we were doing wrong at Mozingo. Doubt we’ll be heading back there anytime soon.

18. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I was wondering if it was Mozingo. My fishing buddy and I went to Mozingo two Springs ago and were pumped since we felt we were timing it just right and we always enjoy going to a new lake. We fished there for 8-10 hours and caught a whopping 3 bass, with the biggest being about 2 pounds. Talk about being disappointed! We left late afternoon and headed to lake Wapello, a lake we fish once or twice a year. Wound up fishing Wapello the next day and caught 40-50, so I’m still not sure what we were doing wrong at Mozingo. Doubt we’ll be heading back there anytime soon.
    two years ago there was no grass like it used to have and fishing really sucked. This year much different and still had lots of grass in December and we did very well. That lake is back!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

19. Member
    What are some of the better this to do at mozingo? I’ve watched some YouTube videos of guys fishing there and it looks like there in the backs of the coves. I’ll have to see if I can get back after ice out.

20. Member
    Red spinner bait on points is a productive pattern there.
    John the Garage Doorman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast