Rimfire scope 50'

Okay ive been sucked into this indoor rimfire shooting. The CZ I have came with a Leupold scope which I cant adjust the paralax out of at 50'.

School me on rimfire scopes and what I might need. There are some old men and need an A$$ kicking. LOL kidding.

2. Member
    I would wager an airgun scope might have the adjustments for indoor shooting. With that said if your technique is good it is probably not a big deal if yours is set for 50 yards. Sounds like you should pose this question to those old men that have been there done that.

3. Member
    Some of my scopes have an adjustable parallax. The Burris I have on my 17 HMR magnum is adjustable from 7 yards to infinity. It's a 4.5X-14X. The 2X-7X I have on my 22 Magnum is set at 100 yds I believe. Most rimfire scopes are set at 25 yds I believe. Burris did make a compact rimfire/airgun scope with an adjustable parallax at one point in time. Not sure what the power was on it though.

I have a compact UTG Leapers Accushot in a 3x-12x-44mm with adjustable parallax from 10 yds to infinity on a pcp air rifle that does me well.
    Last edited by BrianKF; 12-26-2023 at 09:39 PM.

4. Member
    How much you looking to spend?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    How much you looking to spend?
    As little as possible but as much as needed. :)

Im more just curious what specs I really need to look for. Never really thought about it to be honest.

We shoot a lot of long range and I shoot a Kahles on everything buttttt I really like a Vortex Strike Eagle that my buddy had for his Vudoo so I bought one. Even though they are more for long range they have a thin cross hairs and dot to me. We not only shoot 50/100 groups but we “try” to reach out to 400-500 or so with these 22s so I like alot of adjustability. I got mine on sale for about 400-500 bucks. We also have a couple Arkens in our group. They are reasonably priced.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Okay ive been sucked into this indoor rimfire shooting. The CZ I have came with a Leupold scope which I cant adjust the paralax out of at 50'.

School me on rimfire scopes and what I might need. There are some old men and need an A$$ kicking. LOL kidding.
    What you need to do is figure out how to put a double peep set up on there. Then show them how its done with out a scope.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    What you need to do is figure out how to put a double peep set up on there. Then show them how its done with out a scope.
    I am actually surprised that is not the sighting system of choice for that discipline. I do 90%+ of y shooting with irons. A lot with peeps and some with double peeps. I rarely use a scope anymore but when I do it feels like cheating. I have become a much better marksman by getting off the bench and not using scopes.

Of course I can shoot better with a scope but my abilities increased drastically by removing that crutch.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    the "head"guy who apparently used to compete at a very high level does just that

10. Member
    Take a look at this scope........

https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-Sport-O...st_sto_dp&th=1
    Last edited by Fireball; 12-28-2023 at 06:38 AM.

I have a model 75 Winchester with the Redfield double peep sights. Multiple rear peep aperatures and different front post sights. You can set it up to best fit what ever fits you or the target configuration.

12. Member
    Vortex viper pst is worth a look.

13. Member
    Not to disparage the info being offered up here, I would suggest you check out Rimfire Central. Maybe post this Q in the appropriate forum and see what they suggest to pair with your rifle. You might also be able to pick up a good rimfire scope in the classifieds if someone is trading up.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

14. Member
    The scope you may be looking for, may not be one currently manufactured. Look used/ classified in the specific area and you may find what you are looking for.... The 24hourcampfire forums has a similar interest crowd

I have an older setup from 70s/80s , Anshutz rifle, Leopold scope ( straight 20X, if I remember correctly with set parallax adjustment marks similar to modern variable scopes) also 2 sets of peep sights

15. Member
    Yeah, I dont know how that indoor thing is set up so hard to give advice, my experience is more hunting and practical precision steel targets.
    The only thing I can say is that when we shoot 22 matches we often have a “KYL rack” (“know your limits”) at close range-25 yards or so, sometimes even less. These are a horizontal rack with 3 or 4 or 5 hanging targets that get progressively smaller. For close range 22’s it’s usually a 3/4” target, then 1/2”, then 3/8”, then 1/4” which is basically caliber-diameter. What I will say about these is that if your scope wont adjust parallax down to this close range, the error can be enough to cause misses on the smaller targets. This is positional shooting so its easier to introduce parallax error, but at least here it does matter. So if you are trying to be very precise I would just say to get a reliable scope with a reticle you like in the magnification range appropriate for how you’ll use the rifle—just make certain the scope will parallax down to 10 yards or so. Thats all a rimfire scope is, is a scope with a parallax setting that allows for closer range.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    The scope you may be looking for, may not be one currently manufactured. Look used/ classified in the specific area and you may find what you are looking for.... The 24hourcampfire forums has a similar interest crowd

I have an older setup from 70s/80s , Anshutz rifle, Leopold scope ( straight 20X, if I remember correctly with set parallax adjustment marks similar to modern variable scopes) also 2 sets of peep sights
    Yeah a couple guys run those rifles and I remember one mentioning using a fixed power scope.

17. Member
    Made me do some searching, here's a 24x like my 20x

https://pre64win.com/products/leupold-24x-target-scope

18. Member
    Try browsing through here, same link, just the start of the section for scopes and ect Vintage Weaver T series, like a T-36 seem to be popular in that world as well. I inherited my setup I've never fired it.

https://pre64win.com/collections/scopes-mounts?page=1

19. Member
    Ran across this article and got to screwing around with my scope. I think I have it worked out where my paralex goes low enough but is still adjustable. try at your own risk.
    -----------------
    I've posted this before, and there has been a considerable discussion on it also, so it's worth repeating here.

There are some scopes that the objective lens (the lens opposite the eyepiece) is held in adjustment by a threaded ring on the outside of the scope bell. If you look at Nikons, Leupolds, Tascos, Simmons, and many others (Burris being an exception) you will see the approximately 1/4" ring on the bell of the scope.

If you were to go to Sears, as I did, and buy their small strap wrench, the one with the rubber strap, and use that strap wrench to loosen that ocular ring, you could remove it. Underneath you would find the lens carrier itself, which is threaded and this is how the factory adjusts parallax, by turning this ring in or out to the appropriate parallax adjustment.

To adjust the parallax, you must decide on a distance, once done, mount the scope on a solid rest. You could simply lay it on a bench, anything so that it doesn't move. It must be pointed at an object that is the same distance you would like the parallax set at, say 60 yards, for a .22. Look through the scope at the object and move your head around. You'll see that the object tends to move while the crosshairs remain steady, that is what parallax is. Turn the lens carrier in or out a turn, and check again. When you can look through the scope and the crosshairs remain on target no matter how you move your head around, you've got it set. Now all you have to do is tighten the adjustment ring you removed with the strap wrench and you're done.

No mailing the scope, no fees and no you're not going to let the nitrogen out of the scope as long as you don't take the lens carrier completely out of the scope, it's sealed with "O" rings.

I've used this method, which is exactly what the factory does, on all of the scopes listed above, even the Leupy VXIII and the adjustment rings are never really that tight, it's just you need the strap to get a decent hold on them. With this knowledge, you can play around with whatever parallax distance you think might work and change it at will.

This one would be a good choice:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlon...iation=1891356

And it is on sale currently.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS