Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toilet wax ring ?

Well it looks like I will pull the toilet. When flushing there is water seeping around the rear. When replacing the wax ring it requires pulling the toilet. I've done it before and didn't like it. I have a few questions.

1) Are all wax rings alike ? The cheapest OK or no ?

2) Do you pull the toilet bowl and tank intact as one unit, or separate the tank first to make it easier to handle ?

3) If you remove the tank from the bowl , do you install a new rubber seal between the tank and the bowl or just use the existing one ?

Thanks,
    Steve
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    Remove the bowl and tank in one piece.
    Not a lot of difference in a wax ring, some are thicker if you need that.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

1- There are quite a few different types of wax rings. You got a normal wax ring, a wax ring with horn, and there are thick wax rings. There are also foam or rubber wax rings which are generally used with wall mounted toilets but not always. For your toilet you will most likely just use a normal wax ring, if the closet collar is below the tile you can use two normal wax rings or a thicker wax ring.

2- When I pull a toilet, I leave the tank attached to the bowl. Been a plumber for 25 years. Sure it could be easier and lighter to take the tank off for a novice. Either way is fine.

3- In general, I will not replace the seal between the tank and bowl. Sometimes you will have to replace that seal but not normally.

I would recommend using a shop vac to suck all the water out of the bowl before taking the toilet off. Set the toilet on a piece of cardboard. Clean the old wax off the closet collar and the bottom of the toilet before resetting the toilet. Make sure your closet collar is not cracked before resetting the toilet. I would recommend replacing the old water supply line for piece of mind. A braided toilet supply tube is fine. Turn the water off at the angle stop for the toilet.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

This is what I used last time I replaced the toilet
    71xdp8rQJLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

5. Member
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-Pe...826X/206393853

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmas...0P24/205762183

Look at the wax-free or encased-wax versions. For homeowner installation, I think they are better options.

It is critical to have a solid flange. Many times, the flange has deteriorated and the bolts no longer hold the toilet firmly to the floor.

Uneven floors can create rocking of toilet.

Look at overall condition of floor and flange, before reinstalling toilet.

6. Member
    When you're buying that ring, you may want to pick up some of the plastic wedges to shim the toilet, if the floors not flat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basfish View Post
    I second this. Wax rings are old school.

8. Member
    I dont usually suck the water out ,I shut water off flush then pour some water out of bucket it will make it flush almost empty

If you take the tank off make sure you put it back on so it doesn't leak or you will have water coming through the ceiling in your living room.

10. Member
    My last 3 or 4 have been with one that is Green and very soft , no wax . Can’t think of the name.

11. Member
    My last 3 or 4 have been with one that is Green and very soft , no wax . Can’t think of the name.

12. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    This

13. Member
    Steve,

Be sure to get some of this and use it. Oatey Liquilock 6 oz. Toilet Water Solidifier Gel (2-Pack) 31419-1 - The Home Depot You will not have any water spillage when you remove to toilet.

James

14. Member
    Turn water off. Flush it hold handle down. Then dump another bucket of water into bowl. That will get most of the water out. Piece of cardboard in the tub. Lift the whole toilet into the tub. If floor height isn’t right you might need a thicker wax ring. Or wax extension.

15. Member
    I used this in my camper. Worked fine. I installed a new toilet in our middle cabin and just used a wax ring. When using a wax ring be sure to set the toilet on and don’t move it around if possible. It might not seal properly if you do.

16. Member
    Take your time snugging up the nuts, Tighten some,let it settle, and tighten a little more until done. too fast and you will break the flange. I will set on it to help.

17. Member
    Standard wax rings are fine, but the foam option a few people have mentioned is also a good option. The wax rings that have the plastic cone formed into them are not ideal. The concept is the cone is supposed to help ensure its centered in the opening and make for a better seal, but in reality, all they do is restrict the opening from the toilet to the flange. If the toilet will be used by a frail old lady, you'll be fine. But if you're regularly honking out some serious logs, you don't want anything to restrict the opening of the flange/pipe.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    If the toilet will be used by a frail old lady, you'll be fine. But if you're regularly honking out some serious logs, you don't want anything to restrict the opening of the flange/pipe.

19. Member
    Sounds like lots of honking happening.................lol!

20. Member
    I've done several toilets and I've used this as well. Easy peasey even if you have to turn the toilet a bit. Never had one leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast