Transom mount transducer pics please

Need some help please ...

I have a 2014 521C with the side imaging transducer built into the bottom of the hull. My old Humminbird display is on its way out so I plan to install a Helix gen4 with side imaging as a replacement and will need to transom mount the transducer.

I'm looking for some:
    1) Transom mounted side imaging transducer pictures from 520 or 521 boats
    2) Pictures of transducer wire mounting on transom and wire entry into hull

Thanks!

2. Member
    i would consider doing a mount on the jack plate no holes in glass
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i would consider doing a mount on the jack plate no holes in glass
    Good idea, thanks for the reminder. I mounted it on a Bob's jack plate on my previous Z21. If anyone has a pic of transducer mounted on an Atlas plate that would be appreciated.

4. Member
    Remove the humminbird one and put it in the same spot. Thats what I did.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Wish it were that simple. As I mentioned in my first post, the original side imaging transducer is built into the bottom of the hull. See picture below. The new transducer is different and will not fit there.

I have a pretty good idea where to mount it on the Atlas jack plate, probably as far to the starboard side as possible. There is room to push it forward to the hull, or back toward the prop, and I would guess forward toward the hull would be better. Then there is the height which could be as close to the bottom of jack plate or dropped down. Probably where it is relative to the bottom of the hull matters most.

Since transducers can be fussy on their mounting locations, I'm asking for a few pics of one that is working well mounted on an Atlas jack plate from a Z520 or Z521C.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Power View Post
    Wish it were that simple. As I mentioned in my first post, the original side imaging transducer is built into the bottom of the hull. See picture below. The new transducer is different and will not fit there.

I have a pretty good idea where to mount it on the Atlas jack plate, probably as far to the starboard side as possible. There is room to push it forward to the hull, or back toward the prop, and I would guess forward toward the hull would be better. Then there is the height which could be as close to the bottom of jack plate or dropped down. Probably where it is relative to the bottom of the hull matters most.

Since transducers can be fussy on their mounting locations, I'm asking for a few pics of one that is working well mounted on an Atlas jack plate from a Z520 or Z521C.
    It is that simple mine was the same transducer that you have. Just unscrew it and it will come out. I will post a pic tonight I have all Garmin now.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    20231227_141610.jpg20231227_141247.jpgTransducer Shield & Saver on 10 " Atlass, Bird side imaging transducer. Have a puck transducer epoxied thru hull & y cable. Atlass slide does not block transducer with plate fully down, but very close. Might with a smaller plate. This is on a 521L. Went thru cap to run cable. Grey cable is for Atlass height guage added after I got boat. Clam under Power Pole lines is for Atlass cable & was done that way by Ranger. Pretty sure Huminbird has a thru hull transducer that would be a direct replacement for what H2Power has now.
    Last edited by Fishshooter; 12-27-2023 at 02:36 PM.

8. Member
    It is that simple mine was the same transducer that you have. Just unscrew it and it will come out. I will post a pic tonight I have all Garmin now.
    Thank you for that information. I will check back with Humminbird. It would be great if that is as simple as a swap out because the transducer built into the hull works really well and is out of harms way.

9. Member
    Fishshooter, thanks much for the pics. I was not familiar with the transducer shield and saver, looks like a good alternative if I can't get the direct replacement for hull transducer. I have a clam shell for the Atlas wiring, hoping I might be able to sneak in through there, otherwise I may have to add another. Much appreciated.

10. Member
    Fishshooter, thanks much for the pics. I was not familiar with the transducer shield and saver, looks like a good alternative if I can't get the direct replacement for hull transducer. I have a clam shell for the Atlas wiring, hoping I might be able to sneak in through there, otherwise I may have to add another. Much appreciated.
    No problem. Just be aware that 2d sonar may NOT work on plane from there due to water turbulence at high speed. That's why I have puck epoxied to shoot thru hull for high speed & y cabled to console unit.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    No problem. Just be aware that 2d sonar may NOT work on plane from there due to water turbulence at high speed. That's why I have puck epoxied to shoot thru hull for high speed & y cabled to console unit.
    I'm ok there, I have the puck transducer and y cable too.

12. Member
    My concern with the thru hull transducers is the shape has changed over time. My 2014 521C was built with a 999 SI unit and thru hull transducer, and I replaced the display with a gen1 Helix 10, the transducer remained compatible. Now I want the Helix 10 (or 12) gen4 which has a longer, skinnier thru hull transducer. Below are pics of the two different transducers. The footprints are different so I'm not sure a direct swap would work.

bass.man65, you are running the same model year boat, are these the two transducers you swapped out?

13. Member
    The top transducer was the one I had and is the same as yours. I added a 3/16 in piece under the mounting plate to cover the hole from old transducer. thumbnail_20231229_082422.jpgthumbnail_20231229_082459.jpg
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Thank you for the pics bass.man65! Do you know what model transducer is shown in your picture? It looks like the wire is routed externally. Also, what material did you use for the 3/16" piece?

Thanks agian

15. Member
    Thank you for the pics bass.man65! Do you know what model transducer is shown in your picture? It looks like the wire is routed externally. Also, what material did you use for the 3/16" piece?

Thanks agian
    That transducer is a UHD GT34 yes wire runs up through jackplate. Material is Black Marine board HDPE high density polyethylene. I buy it off ebay you can get many sizes you can use 3/16 or 1/4
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Me to.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

17. Member
    Just to follow-up ...

I copied Fishshooter's set-up, with a transom shield saver mounted on the jackplate, new clamshell egress in the splash well. I also mounted a new shoot thru hull puck transducer in the bilge area which has the chirp capability my old puck transducer does not have. I left the old puck transducer in the bilge area and the original in hull side imaging transducer also remains. With the older style transducers I can easily install an old legacy 999 SI display I keep as a spare should my new Helix 10 Gen4 fail. Good to have back-up plan.

I ran into a hiccup when my new unit was not displaying down imaging which I eventually determined was due to my old style splitter cable. It needed to be updated because pin-outs are different. And of course I missed HB's $500 rebate by 10 days.

Thanks very much for the help with your posts! Everything is up and running now.

18. Member
    Garmin GT54 transducer mount on 2012 Z119. I attached a before transducer mount and after it was mounted. I took a piece of plastic deck about 1.25" thick (Timber Tech) to make the mount and glued to pictured location with 3M 5200. Once I set the transducer position the depth finder will read at speeds of 65+. Cable entry is routed through the splash well drain. Hope this helps.
    2012 Ranger 119Z, Yamaha 200SHO
    1992 Ranger 374V, Mercury 175XRI