Thread: Options??

Options??

Looking for some knowledge and advice, our soon to be new neighborhood will be located on a brackish river so I'm leaning towards a saltwater boat (cc or flats) outfitted with an appropriate sw troller, I will be chasing bass also (in the river and nearby lakes), what are my options for running a bow graph? I hardly ever see them on the inshore boats, but after so many years of bass fishing I can't imagine not having one and the sw trollers are a lot different than what I'm used to....

Any suggestions??

2. Moderator
    The biggest difference I have had to get used to is in salt most don't use a foot control pedal. They typically all just use the remote. It takes some getting used to but is doable. With an appropriate mount you can run any kind of bow graph you would want. I think not a lot of people have them because they are sight fishing or fishing very shallow.

After fishing in a few different ones now the biggest complaint I have for a CC over a bass boat is the rod lockers. Not sure why CC boat mfg's can't make a rod locker similar to a bass boat. They are all smaller and put the tubes in them which is a pain to get rods in and out of.

That said do you plan to go offshore or near shore or get in a choppy bay? If not you can use a regular bass boat in brackish water with no issue. Just rinse it really well when you pull out.

Welcome to the area! You might have to do a little digging but I feel like at least once a winter the guys on the Eastern Current Podcast do an episode about boat choices. Wilmington/WB/Sneads Ferry guys. Really good content besides that, too. Maybe charter a trip with someone and see how they outfit their stuff and why.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

4. Member
    Thanks guys, very early in but looking at an Excel BayPro 183, right size and more of a traditional bass boat style layout, there will be no offshore.

Hey RDS, how is Sutton Lake when it comes to bass fishing??

I don't recommend lipping those Sutton lake Bass!

Sutton Lake Gator.jpg
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    Thanks guys, very early in but looking at an Excel BayPro 183, right size and more of a traditional bass boat style layout, there will be no offshore.

Hey RDS, how is Sutton Lake when it comes to bass fishing??
    Most of the time it’s really good. But then for a few week stretches it just turns off and makes you question yourself lol. You can’t run across the middle, you really need to follow the channels; lots of stumps still just below the surface.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    Most of the time it’s really good. But then for a few week stretches it just turns off and makes you question yourself lol. You can’t run across the middle, you really need to follow the channels; lots of stumps still just below the surface.
    You tackle the lake in your yak?