HDS Live 9 Interferrence?

Pretty sure I installed everything correctly. I am getting the vertical lines as seen in the pics. I assume this is some kind of interference.

The pics of my display were taken at very slow speed with the engine off and out of the water.

The unit is on the center console of my Grizzly 1860 powered by a dedicated battery.

I ran the transducer cable along with the other cables under the deck to the console.

Also, the transducer is below the sponson pods.

Any troubleshooting I can do before engaging Lowrance?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
    Lakeland, Fl

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I'm guessing the signal is bouncing off of those boxes (for lack of knowing what they are) extending off the back of the boat.

3. Member
    Roger that and it could be. Those are sponsons, adds a bit of flotation.

4. Member
    It could also be bouncing off of the motor itself when it is trimmed down/in. Notice it is picking it up from then left transducer element and the motor is to the left of the transducer. The transducer is also mounted below the sponsons so in theory it shouldn't be picking those up (but it is possible).

5. Member
    100% it’s the sponsons. The line itself tells you they are real sonar returns as opposed to electrical or acoustic interference. Not sure what you could do other than mounting the transducer on one of them.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    Yes. It is the sponsons. Just took the boat out. Had unbolted the transducer and lowered it deeper below the boat. Those hard returns went away. Another data point, we put the transducer in the water to the side of the boat to see what we would get. Clean returns. I'm certain the transducer is good.

Now, where to mount it? I have a call into Lowrance.

7. Member
    Can you mount the transducer same location only make it 12" from Prop Shaft right 12" Cannot tell how far over it is know. If you get out from under the overhang that should work as nothing for the signal to bounce off. Most transducers are mounted12" right for the least water and air turbulance. Add another transom block and test it I assume they are glue on. Good luck

8. Member
    Good point. I mounted it 15" right of the prop centerline. That was as far as I could get with the sponson there.

Funny thing was when we played with the transducer location this afternoon, we had to get it at least 5-6" below its current location so it would stop 'seeing' the left sponson. That's a problem.

9. Member
    Can you mount it on the back of one of the sponsons?

10. Member
    I think so. And I may end up doing just that. When we moved the transducer around this afternoon, we tried several locations including on back of the starboard sponson. But, we were holding the transducer by hand so, not the most 'scientific' method but we got similar interference. Which I don't understand.

That said, I worry about damaging the thing mounting it back there. I'm not the most graceful boat Captain. If I get my expensive lure stuck, me and at least a third of the boat (either end) are going in after it!

I'm in touch with a Lowrance technician now. I can't be the first to have this issue.

I'm thinking there is a a pole mounted option that will allow me to lower the transducer thus eliminating the interference. But, I lose any capability to use it at speed. That said, I ain't exactly getting ready for the pro circuit either. I may be trying to cram too much tech into my little boat. We'll see.

11. Member
    Check with the boat manufacturer and ask them.

Also Transducer Shield and Save in Alabama may have an idea or two.

12. Member
    The Transducer Shield is definitely something to consider. If you mount it on the back of a sponson, maybe make sure it is just a bit higher than the bottom of the sponson. This will give a little protection and should still work fine at idle speeds. When you think about it, it is about the same as mounting it on the transom.

13. Member
    In your case I guess the sponsoons underside is always in water? If so, you could consider flush-mounting the transducer under one of them. You will not get on-plane readings doing so though.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    The Transducer Shield is definitely something to consider. If you mount it on the back of a sponson, maybe make sure it is just a bit higher than the bottom of the sponson. This will give a little protection and should still work fine at idle speeds. When you think about it, it is about the same as mounting it on the transom.

The side image will be blocked by the motor based on the perspective of the pic.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    The side image will be blocked by the motor based on the perspective of the pic.
    I didn't consider that

16. Member
    When I took the pics of the interference, the engine was out of the water.

Just got off the phone with the folks at transducer shield. They're looking at my setup now.

Thanks for the input guys.

17. Member
    I would also call the boat manufacturer as kennybryan suggested above. They likely have been asked this many times before and developed a solution.
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Will do. They guys at the Marine center at Bass Pro Shops are pretty good. Will start there.