Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quest or Instinct Questions

If you have any question about the new series Minn Kota troll motor feel free to ask. If I do not know the answer I will get it for you. I attended a Minn Kota training session and had a first have look at then.
    All of this series is much more beefy and in the case of the Ulterra easier to to a manual stow. All the new motors will take either 24 or 36 volt it is your preference. Please hold this to questions and not bitch sessions because they didn't do this or that.
    Fire away.
    Brad

On the Ultrex Quest is the mount for the 45" and the 52" the same length?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

On the Ultrex Quest is the mount for the 45" and the 52" the same length?
    No, the 52 is longer

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    No, the 52 is longer
    Thomas is correct the 52 inch mount is longer than 45 inch. just a little bit more information on the problems with the pivot bushings will probably go away cause they have completely redesign hte pivot point for the upper arm. they also have taken the inner arm and maded wider than the old stye.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Thomas is correct the 52 inch mount is longer than 45 inch. just a little bit more information on the problems with the pivot bushings will probably go away cause they have completely redesign hte pivot point for the upper arm. they also have taken the inner arm and maded wider than the old stye.
    Good deal !

6. Member
    At a distance the old Ultrex mount and the Quest mount look almost the same. Up close, you will see that they are very different. It’s wider, longer, and taller with stouter components including 2 gas shocks to aid in stowing and deploying. The shaft is also larger in diameter with 2 flat sides.

7. Member
    How does the Terrova lift assist work? Is it the same principal as the older style, or totally new? In comparison is it much easier to stow?

8. Member
    For your info the ultrex mount did not lay flat on the ground when stowed, the top half of it had a gap of about 3/4 inch. The quest does lay flat, so if you have a shroud or run your cables under the top half when stowed you will need a 3/4 inch to 1" spacer.

Phoenix boats sells a 3/4 inch one for $35.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    For your info the ultrex mount did not lay flat on the ground when stowed, the top half of it had a gap of about 3/4 inch. The quest does lay flat, so if you have a shroud or run your cables under the top half when stowed you will need a 3/4 inch to 1" spacer.

Phoenix boats sells a 3/4 inch one for $35.
    I made a 1/2” spacer for my Phoenix 920. Was more than enough to clear the bow panel shroud.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcpland1 View Post
    How does the Terrova lift assist work? Is it the same principal as the older style, or totally new? In comparison is it much easier to stow?
    They have eliminated the lift assist on the new terrova. It is easier to stow the previous models

11. Member
    As far as a cover goes. if you have a cover made to fit the old Ultrex, are you saying the quest will be taller and the head will stick back farther when stowed?

12. Member
    If you have any question about the new series Minn Kota troll motor feel free to ask. If I do not know the answer I will get it for you. I attended a Minn Kota training session and had a first have look at then.
    All of this series is much more beefy and in the case of the Ulterra easier to to a manual stow. All the new motors will take either 24 or 36 volt it is your preference. Please hold this to questions and not bitch sessions because they didn't do this or that.
    Fire away.
    Brad
    Do you know if they have changed the Ulterra Quest design so that it doesn't wear down the composite shaft like the original Ulterra does?

13. Member
    IYes. Uterra has been completely redesign. Your Ulterra is the only one that I heard of that affected the shaft.

14. Member
    Took my new Quest out for the first time yesterday. To say I'm impressed would be an under statement.
    Phoenix 919/Sho 225/solix 15s/ultrex/blades

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    As far as a cover goes. if you have a cover made to fit the old Ultrex, are you saying the quest will be taller and the head will stick back farther when stowed?
    Each case will be different. I reallcan't answer for youe case

16. Member
    is there any talk of of a DI only Quest? I get my side from my 360.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

17. Member
    They started limiting the number of options a couple years ago. Not sure why, but Quest does not have a DI only option but the brushed motors do. Brushed motors don’t t have an SI choice. If you want DI on quest you have to get the SI model. ??? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    is there any talk of of a DI only Quest? I get my side from my 360.
    The SI transducer option on the Quest has both DI and 2D as well as SI. I don't see them making a DI only option as it wouldn't save that much money and it would just add complexity to the manufacturing process... but that's just my opinion.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

19. Member
    All of the above are correct on the Di imaging. However, we were told by main Minn Kota that the new translucer they are using on the quest may or may not work with lowrance or garmin. As an added problem that I see if you choose to put a transducer external on the motor then you will have a problem because of the built-in transducer that comes with them. They said that the transducer is a third party transducer. So they have tried to contact those people and they have not returned any calls or answered any questions that Minn Kota had in the development of this troll motor.

All of the above are correct on the Di imaging. However, we were told by main Minn Kota that the new translucer they are using on the quest may or may not work with lowrance or garmin. As an added problem that I see if you choose to put a transducer external on the motor then you will have a problem because of the built-in transducer that comes with them. They said that the transducer is a third party transducer. So they have tried to contact those people and they have not returned any calls or answered any questions that Minn Kota had in the development of this troll motor.
    The manuals for Quest and non-Quest motors show the MKR-MI-1 and MKR-MDI-2 adapters. The transducer plug itself is the 14-pin that connects to a SOLIX/APEX. They only work with Humminbird units. The connection is no different than the older Minnkota built-in MDI and MSI models.
    The US2 83/200 kHz has been replaced by the HW transducer which has the 14-pin connector. A whole set of new adapters would be needed to make them universal.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast