Thread: DD214

DD214

I legally changed my first name after HD from Navy 1976. I’m striking out trying to get a copy through website. Is there another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Painter1 View Post
    I legally changed my first name after HD from Navy 1976. I’m striking out trying to get a copy through website. Is there another way?
    Let me do some research. The longer you've been out the more difficult it becomes sometimes.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Painter1, which website did you use originally? Did you use milconnect (milConnect (osd.mil) ? Or the National Archives (Request Military Service Records | National Archives ?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I only tried national archives. Thanks guys

I'll reach out to my POC at the VA for suggestions.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Painter1, are you getting any VA benefits or have you ever applied for benefits? If so, if you want to PM me your SSN and name (original) I can reach out to the VA to determine if they have a copy of it.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Email sent out. Our POC has an "Out of Office" reply through Jan 3, 2024, so I may not hear anything for two weeks.
    2016 Nitro Z21

I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter1 View Post
    Did you attempt to get it using your original first name?

Most states have Veteran Service Offices that can help you. This is what Alabama has: https://va.alabama.gov/claims-representation/

Good luck.

Ernie

I have resent the request.
    2016 Nitro Z21

PM sent.
    2016 Nitro Z21

12. Member
    Hope this got figured out. I thought you were able to request your DD214 through the VA? I have seen some links for it. I am not sure how long it takes, but I have seen the option for it.
    2021 Triton 19 TRX Patriot with 225 ProXS
    (2) Power Pole Blades
    Ghost, Ghost 360, Active Target, HDS Live

Normally you can. In his case he never filed for benefits so the VA does not have a copy in their records.
    2016 Nitro Z21

14. Member
    You can try your local VFW or American Legion and they may have a contact. I know our Legion has a contact to verify status for honor rights and grave markers. Maybe a contact like that could help.
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

15. Member
    +I went to the local VA office and they had mine in about 20 minutes after 43 years and qualifed for medical .

I'll always remember the great man who helped me get my DD 214 and file it with the County Clerk so I would always be able to obtain it. He helped me get my VA home loan.... A year he later died of injuries he received in the Murrah Federal Building bombing.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Good reminder about the county clerk. I had to pull mine out of the safe to get a veteran endorsement on my new drivers license today. I saw the recorders office stamp and I hadn’t thought about that in years.