Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Firsr day of med school

2. Member
    I would love to send that to my oldest son who's a doctor and Lieutenant Colonel in the USAF reserves.

3. Member

4. Member

5. Member
    My Family Doc of over 30 years just retired and started his own practice that does not take insurance. Now you can file you own claims but he charges a flat monthly amount nothing more or less. It don't really work for me but he's a great guys so I asked him if I could just pay him cash for services rendered? He comment shocked me a little.

He said no because then it would be just like normal and the only why he makes money is by getting patients to come back. Very true.

6. Member
    I would bet all my doctors took a class like that.

7. Member
    https://students-residents.aamc.org/...re-s-breakdown

With an average of 200K in loans to become a doctor they cannot work for free. I know what the payments look like on the 100K in loans we pay out of this house for my wife's doctorate. The loans have been at 6.9% ever since Congress voted in ACA. The extra interest was supposed to help subsidise young peoples insurance. We all know what a fiasco that turned out to be. While the meme is funny it doesn't show the reality of the cost of being a primary care doc and running a business.

So True

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    My Family Doc of over 30 years just retired and started his own practice that does not take insurance. Now you can file you own claims but he charges a flat monthly amount nothing more or less. It don't really work for me but he's a great guys so I asked him if I could just pay him cash for services rendered? He comment shocked me a little.

He said no because then it would be just like normal and the only why he makes money is by getting patients to come back. Very true.
    My Doctor is getting ready to retire and is thinking of opening up a concierge service. Instead of 2,000 patients he would have 500 that would pay $3,500 a year to have access to him. He would not deal with health insurance. He said that this would work for wealthy patients that have a variety of illnesses.

10. Member
    So true

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    https://students-residents.aamc.org/...re-s-breakdown

With an average of 200K in loans to become a doctor they cannot work for free. I know what the payments look like on the 100K in loans we pay out of this house for my wife's doctorate. The loans have been at 6.9% ever since Congress voted in ACA. The extra interest was supposed to help subsidise young peoples insurance. We all know what a fiasco that turned out to be. While the meme is funny it doesn't show the reality of the cost of being a primary care doc and running a business.
    I believe medical cost is a LOT more than 200K because it was about 225K when my son went to medical school in Syracuse, NY over 15 years ago. However he didn't pay a dime.........YOU guys did........LOL..........true.......he snagged one of the 125 yearly USAF Medical Scholarships when he graduated from a undergraduate school that he was also on a scholarship to attend.

Actually he was sworn in as a 2nd Lt when he got his USAF Scholarship, so he was being paid to go to medical school back then. When he graduated from medical school he removed his graduation gown and was in full dress uniform when a USAF Major stepped on the stage to swear him in as a Captain. A REAL PROUD day for mom and dad.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I believe medical cost is a LOT more than 200K because it was about 225K when my son went to medical school in Syracuse, NY over 15 years ago. However he didn't pay a dime.........YOU guys did........LOL..........true.......he snagged one of the 125 yearly USAF Medical Scholarships when he graduated from a undergraduate school that he was also on a scholarship to attend.

Actually he was sworn in as a 2nd Lt when he got his USAF Scholarship, so he was being paid to go to medical school back then. When he graduated from medical school he removed his graduation gown and was in full dress uniform when a USAF Major stepped on the stage to swear him in as a Captain. A REAL PROUD day for mom and dad.

Kudos!!

That is the average debt, not costs. I agree the 8 years plus can cost a LOT more!

I am retired USAF and at one time recruited physicians for the Air Force. My territory was half of the state of North Carolina, I was geographically separated stationed in Raleigh N.C. and then Nashville TN. Believe it or not getting people to even apply for the HPSP Scholarship your son took advantage of was a challenge. the first challenge was academic and getting into a qualifying school. The next challenge was students did not want the service obligation. I left the military in 1999, but no doubt the situation has gotten even tougher.

13. Member
    There was a TV series way back when called The Paper Chase about first year Harvard Law school. I was in law school at the time (not Harvard) and my mother and I watched the first episode where the student shows up on the first day of class unprepared. The professor “shrouds” him which means the student will never be called on. My mother asked if this really happened. I told her Mom, if getting shrouded meant you were never called on everybody would be waiving their arms shouting Shroud Me, Shroud Me.

14. Member
    I think all my doctors have took classes on that. Even though they have God complex, and act like after they do a procedure you are going to be healed. Then when you tell them you are not, they act like you are crazy and become grouchy. My young pain management doctor is a real Azz. But the only other one my insurance will allow to use has a worse rating.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 12-10-2023 at 03:04 PM.

15. Member
    Azzaro?

16. Member
    This was my Doc and neighbor for years, a Icon in Ky with the KDFWR. https://nkytribune.com/2020/02/dr-ja...way-at-age-92/

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Azzaro?
    Freaking phone changed it, and I didn't catch it. I put Azz. Instead of using another word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    There was a TV series way back when called The Paper Chase about first year Harvard Law school. I was in law school at the time (not Harvard) and my mother and I watched the first episode where the student shows up on the first day of class unprepared. The professor “shrouds” him which means the student will never be called on. My mother asked if this really happened. I told her Mom, if getting shrouded meant you were never called on everybody would be waiving their arms shouting Shroud Me, Shroud Me.
    That show nearly scared me away from law school LOL. It always amuses me how little law shows have in common with the actual practice of law.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post

That 225k amount is just for the education and doesn't include the cost to start a business or buy in to a practice. My medical school cost me about 300k in loans then another 680k to buy in to a practice. I pay over 100k per year in loan repayment.

I would venture to say that med school and associated costs would easily reach close to a mil if not more for the whole shebang.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast