Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

What was your part time job in High School?

Probably somewhere along the way this has been a topic on the boards before.

I worked in a gas station on the highway (got a lot of stories from that job), then in a grocery store bagging and checking and hauling carts in from the parking lot, and in a factory working a part time night shift doing piecework assembling electric motors.

And when I was really young I did some work bailing hay and taking care of pigs on a pig farm. I also picked up a job putting new tin on some sheds for another local farmer. Oh, and I mowed some lawns too. And got another gig cleaning out old putty on windows and replacing it with fresh to seal it all back up.

Anyone else?

2. Member
    I was a caddy. And that paid for my college - yep, straight out of Caddyshack - I got the caddy scholarship. :)

I also painted my school in summers and cleaned a parking lot.

3. Member
    Worked at a gas station next to I-10. All the bikers heading to bike week was always a great time. And like you said. There’s a lot of good stories from working there.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

Drugstore stock boy... That's where I met my wife 40+ years ago

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAbassin View Post
    Worked at a gas station next to I-10. All the bikers heading to bike week was always a great time. And like you said. There’s a lot of good stories from working there.
    No kidding. That could be a complete thread on its own "Anyone work at a gas station on the highways? Lets hear the stories"

6. Member
    Mowed lawns and did yardwork for a bunch of older folks around town. On the winter weekends, I cut and stacked 4' wood with my dad. Sometimes he gave me a $1 for a full day of humping wood and piling brush. That's not an exaggeration, on a good day we'd have 10 cord or so stacked up and he'd give me a single dollar. And this was in the early 80's when a dollar didn't go very far. I'd look at him like WTF? I wasn't working for pay but I never understood why he bothered.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

I worked for my uncle at his upholstery shop from ages 14-17. I then worked in a butcher shop for several years starting at 17 years old.

Worked on offshore lobster boats.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Worked at a gas station and a auto parts store
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

10. Member
    Paper boy. Then gas station. Then 40 years at gas utility company.

11. dartag1829
    Started at my brothers gas station VW repair shop in 1970. Went from gas pumper to engine rebuilder. Used to make 200.00 a week cash which was a lot back then. Went to work in 1978 for GM. Retired in 2014. Funny only really had 2 jobs in my whole life.

12. Member
    12-16 I had a paper route, mowed lawns in the spring and summer then shoveled in the winter.
    16-17 I worked summer maintenance at the high school, put docks in and out our camp during a few weeks each spring and fall, then shoveled and mowed lawns
    17-19 worked as dishwasher at a local restaurant/bar
    19-23 worked at gander mtn
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Paper boy and lifeguard after I got into high school. The latter was the best job I've ever had.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Bagger at grocery store
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Worked in a paper mill as a laborer during the summer.

16. Member
    Worked in the towns furniture store. Small town family owned business. As part of the DECA program I got out of school @ 12PM. So I’d start at 1PM and work till 5PM. That and Saturdays would give me 24 hours @ 8.50 = $204 weekly. Since we were closed on Tuesday I’d work at our secretary’s husband gas station from 1PM to 8PM or 7 hours. Again at $8.50 = $59 so my total for the week was $263. Pretty good in 1972 for a 17yr. old. I’m 68 now and looking back I wish everyone had the opportunity I had at that age. The relationships I built with the towns business owners served me and taught me values we taught our kids growing up. I often refer to those times as back in the day. Regardless it was a glorious time.

17. Member
    Auto mechanic, we owned the shop.

18. Member
    Factory laborer in the summer and Christmas holidays.

19. Member
    Worked on a Dairy farm and tended for a Brick/Stone mason...
    Being overweight or needing to lift weights was never an issue...

20. Member
    Grocery store bagger/stocker
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast