Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ranger RT198P hull welds failing?

Looking into getting a newer boat within the next year and Have been looking at either the Ranger 198p or Tracker 195. I like the size, layout and fit and finish of the Ranger 198 better however one thing that really concerns me is I have read several different places where the welds on the bottom of the hull have failed. I know some Tracker 195s have had issues with the transoms cracking but so has Ranger and every other brand of welded aluminum boat at some point, the transom cracking isn't nearly as big of a concern to me as the welds on the bottom of the hull failing, I haven't heard of that problem on the Tracker 195. Below are a few links about what I am talking about. A cracked transom is much easier to fix in comparison, also it seems like the Tracker due to having more of a V in the hull does better in rough water. I would be buying used a few years old so I wouldn't have a warranty either.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1068148
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=999201

In my opinion EVERY Manufacturer of a welded aluminum boat will have some issues. In fact, EVERY manufacturer of ANYTHING, will have issues. So, I recommend you lists the wishes you want in a boat, then start searching.
    Sure a Vee Hull will cut through better than a flat front. When I was shopping the Tracker had wood in it. (Don't know if they still do?) I did not want carpet, so I looked at the G3, Xpress, and the Ranger. There were many reasons FOR ME, why I picked the Ranger over the others.
    What is a better pickup, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, ....
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    I am in the market myself for something similar. Yes the new Trackers still use wood for the bow deck and main floor, back deck is all aluminim, but the wood wouldn't be a concern for me. I have a Tracker that is almost 14 years old and the original wood deck and floor is fine, not soft spots or anything and it would probably last another 10 years. The Ranger RT198 is nice but the biggest issue for me is it is almost 20 ft long but only has a 150 hp motor on it, I would like to find an older one with a 150 Yamah SHO on it so I could flash it to a 230hp. I have heard about the hulls cracking at the bottom also, that would be a big problem for sure. Also the nice thing about the 198 is it has a pad hull but it seems like a 150 doesn't hardly have enough power to keep it on pad, especially when loaded heavy.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 12-03-2023 at 03:26 PM.

If I was looking at a mod v type tin boat I wouldn’t buy either one of those. Try to find a Gatortrax or Xpress. Both are built better.

5. Member
    I've had zero issues with my 2020 RT198p and the 150 is PLENTY of power to keep it on pad. It's no speed demon. Fully loaded - crappie AND bass gear, 3 - 31 series AGM batteries, 4 - 12" graphs, MEGA 360, etc - it's a 50-52 mph boat. If you want something faster then by all means get something with more HP, but to say the boat is underpowered or can't get on plane (ridiculous) is just not true.

6. Member
    Both 198p's in our club had hull failure one was the older design and one was the new bass pro design. Old failed in the keel ,new in the transom. The old one they won't warranty the new they did. Our big lake gets ridiculous with wake boats and skiers in the summer now and both boats showed damage after the summer tournaments. My 195 tracker so far hasn't had damage yet but I don't have the 150 on the back either. If I had to do it over with how busy our lake gets i would have a fiberglass. If I could stay off that lake I would stick with my 195.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelkris76 View Post
    I've had zero issues with my 2020 RT198p and the 150 is PLENTY of power to keep it on pad. It's no speed demon. Fully loaded - crappie AND bass gear, 3 - 31 series AGM batteries, 4 - 12" graphs, MEGA 360, etc - it's a 50-52 mph boat. If you want something faster then by all means get something with more HP, but to say the boat is underpowered or can't get on plane (ridiculous) is just not true.
    On plane and on pad are two different things, from what I have read they don't really get on pad until about 55 MPH.

8. Member
    Read and ownership experience are two different things. My boat won't run 55 loaded like it is. Bare bones, it'll push 58-59...the way I have it loaded, 52 max. Either way, it gets on "pad" in the low 40's

Read and ownership experience are two different things. My boat won't run 55 loaded like it is. Bare bones, it'll push 58-59...the way I have it loaded, 52 max. Either way, it gets on "pad" in the low 40's
    Fully agree. As you can see I too have 3- 31 AGM batteries, Two Talons, Jack Pate, Fully loaded with gear and with 1/2 fuel load I can top out at 54.2 mph and on PAD.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    Robert and Kris, you gotta let the haters hate or they may lose their minds. Never owned nor driven the boat but dumping on it... come on.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

11. Member
    JW, fair enough ...for the money, I think the 198 is great boat. Irritating when folks bash it..

12. Member
    That's good then, just going by what I have read on here and in the Facebook group. Many people have had to grind the welds down and install a jack plate to get good speed out of them. Also what advantage does having a pad on that boat actually give you? The Tracker 195s don't have a pad and they will run 60 MPH.

13. Member
    I'm no boat engineer or architect so I can't answer that question. I can, however, compare the 188 (non-"pad") version - which I previously owned - to the 198p ("pad") version. Completely different ride. The 188 would not lift, could barely trim it without it porposing. The 198 will lift, even at lower speeds, and takes rough water much (MUCH) better than the 188. It's a completely different hull - in design, construction and performance.

Finally, not knocking the Trackers - I grew up in a boat dealer family that sold Tracker products for over 20 years - but there is no comparison between those two boats. Much like it's not fair to compare a 198p to a Vexus, Avid, or Xpress...the 198p is not in the same class as those boats..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaddic View Post
    If I was looking at a mod v type tin boat I wouldn’t buy either one of those. Try to find a Gatortrax or Xpress. Both are built better.
    Those are pretty much non existent around here, never seen a Gatortrax at all, and have seen one Xpress in the past few years. 90% of the Aluminum boats for sale around here are Trackers or Rangers.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    Both 198p's in our club had hull failure one was the older design and one was the new bass pro design. Old failed in the keel ,new in the transom. The old one they won't warranty the new they did. Our big lake gets ridiculous with wake boats and skiers in the summer now and both boats showed damage after the summer tournaments. My 195 tracker so far hasn't had damage yet but I don't have the 150 on the back either. If I had to do it over with how busy our lake gets i would have a fiberglass. If I could stay off that lake I would stick with my 195.
    Hearing stuff like that is what worries me. I looked a 2019 RT198P the other day that the dealer was asking 30K for, I would be keeping it a long time, a decade or better like my current boat and I would hate for something like that to happen. My old Tracker handles rough water very well for what it is, I don't run wide open when it's rough but it does good if I keep it around 30 MPH, and I have never had a problem with the hull. I would hope that the Ranger holds up the same over the years. Does anyone know what the hull warranty is on the Ranger and if it will transfer to the second owner?

16. Member
    Attached is the 2019 warranty statement. It says, "For the second North American retail purchaser (ifapplicable), if properly transferred in compliance with the transfer requirements set forth in this document, the limited warranty period for StructuralHull Defects in the external structural hull welds runs for five (5) years from the date the limited warranty period began to run for the first NorthAmerican purchaser."
    Attached Files Attached Files

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotAW4 View Post
    Hearing stuff like that is what worries me. I looked a 2019 RT198P the other day that the dealer was asking 30K for, I would be keeping it a long time, a decade or better like my current boat and I would hate for something like that to happen. My old Tracker handles rough water very well for what it is, I don't run wide open when it's rough but it does good if I keep it around 30 MPH, and I have never had a problem with the hull. I would hope that the Ranger holds up the same over the years. Does anyone know what the hull warranty is on the Ranger and if it will transfer to the second owner?
    I bolded the most important part of what will keep an aluminum boat trouble free for a long time. This is also why I don't agree with the "used is best and buying new is for suckers" group. Sure, there are telltale signs that will tell you if a boat has been abused but there are also points of failure that you won't know about until it's too late. When you buy used you have to hope you left no stone unturned and the previous owner isn't doing a really good job at hiding the ugly truth. Most seem to get lucky but some end up spending way more on a used rig OVER TIME than they would if they had just bought new to begin with. I know people that I wouldn't buy a used boat from even if they were practically giving the boat away. They run them into the ground and then do everything they can to hide what's really going on from potential buyers. Then there are people I would pay top dollar for their very used boat because I know they take care of their stuff and have patience and common sense when running the conditions.

As for the RT vs Tracker, they're VERY different boats as far as I'm concerned. Trolling motor down I'd take the RT every time. Running down the lake the Tracker looks like it would have a softer ride in the swells that will make you remember them the next day. The good and bad with the Tracker is it sits like an old Champion in the water. The ride is soft but they spin around like a top in any kind of wind.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I bolded the most important part of what will keep an aluminum boat trouble free for a long time. This is also why I don't agree with the "used is best and buying new is for suckers" group. Sure, there are telltale signs that will tell you if a boat has been abused but there are also points of failure that you won't know about until it's too late. When you buy used you have to hope you left no stone unturned and the previous owner isn't doing a really good job at hiding the ugly truth. Most seem to get lucky but some end up spending way more on a used rig OVER TIME than they would if they had just bought new to begin with. I know people that I wouldn't buy a used boat from even if they were practically giving the boat away. They run them into the ground and then do everything they can to hide what's really going on from potential buyers. Then there are people I would pay top dollar for their very used boat because I know they take care of their stuff and have patience and common sense when running the conditions.

As for the RT vs Tracker, they're VERY different boats as far as I'm concerned. Trolling motor down I'd take the RT every time. Running down the lake the Tracker looks like it would have a softer ride in the swells that will make you remember them the next day. The good and bad with the Tracker is it sits like an old Champion in the water. The ride is soft but they spin around like a top in any kind of wind.
    Good summary, I think when I buy my next boat, I will look hard at the Xpress and Avid. The Gatortrax is likely out of my price range. I will say this and it is only an opinion, I have owned two older Ranger fiberglass boats (currently have a 99 model) and I would feel a lot better about buying a Ranger product if they were still being manufactured under the former ownership/management.

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Good summary, I think when I buy my next boat, I will look hard at the Xpress and Avid. The Gatortrax is likely out of my price range. I will say this and it is only an opinion, I have owned two older Ranger fiberglass boats (currently have a 99 model) and I would feel a lot better about buying a Ranger product if they were still being manufactured under the former ownership/management.
    Both Avid and Xpress seem like fine hulls. I like the Xpress better because the top cap has bedliner material on it. Fun to drive too but that's also why I'm probably going to put a hotfoot and blinker trim on mine this winter because the hand throttle is too low and forward to drive it the way I want to drive it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Banned
    Had a 198 it was a good rig

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast