Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I think you should look at a Vexus that Bunch Marine in Tennessee has for sale... A 2021 AVX 1880 model for about 30K asking price. They make a fine boat.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I think you should look at a Vexus that Bunch Marine in Tennessee has for sale... A 2021 AVX 1880 model for about 30K asking price. They make a fine boat.
    Only has a 115 on it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotAW4 View Post
    Only has a 115 on it.
    That boat will run 50 or a little over.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 115. It would be a better boat long term than either of the two you asked about. If you want a good boat with a 150.... look at a BassCat.

A lot of hull problems with aluminum boats are EXACTLY what you are looking at.... putting a 150 on an aluminum hull. Be careful what you ask for. I have been around them for 50 years. Do what you want.... it's your money. If you JUST have to have a 150 on an aluminum boat - go with an Xpress....or pay for something like GatorTrax...

Some people never learn.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 12-10-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    RT188

4. Member
    That boat will run 50 or a little over.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 115. It would be a better boat long term than either of the two you asked about. If you want a good boat with a 150.... look at a BassCat.

A lot of hull problems with aluminum boats are EXACTLY what you are looking at.... putting a 150 on an aluminum hull. Be careful what you ask for. I have been around them for 50 years. Do what you want.... it's your money. If you JUST have to have a 150 on an aluminum boat - go with an Xpress....or pay for something like GatorTrax...

Some people never learn.
    Already got an aluminum boat with a 115 on it. I want one with a 150 at least, I didn't know Basscat made aluminum boats. So far I have 0 used Xpress and Gatortrax boats with 150s for sale within a 200 mile radius.

5. Member
    Having had both a 2020 aluminum ranger and now a 2022 aluminum lund, I'd take a look at what lund has to offer. In my experience there is no comparison between them when it comes to quality, the lund wins hands down.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

6. Member
    Already got an aluminum boat with a 115 on it. I want one with a 150 at least, I didn't know Basscat made aluminum boats. So far I have 0 used Xpress and Gatortrax boats with 150s for sale within a 200 mile radius.
    I know BC does not make aluminum boats.... my point was that if you are going to hang a 150 or bigger on it and do not want to buy a premium boat with thicker aluminum hull.... buy a glass boat... Get a good uaed glass BC..

But hey...like I said... your money. I would not own a Tracker because of a lot of things including wood in the boat. I also would hesitate on Ranger since Johnny bought and moved the plant.
    RT188

7. Member
    Don't let the wood deck on the Tracker scare you, mine are 14 years old and still in great shape. The back deck is aluminum.

8. Member
    I know BC does not make aluminum boats.... my point was that if you are going to hang a 150 or bigger on it and do not want to buy a premium boat with thicker aluminum hull.... buy a glass boat... Get a good uaed glass BC..

But hey...like I said... your money. I would not own a Tracker because of a lot of things including wood in the boat. I also would hesitate on Ranger since Johnny bought and moved the plant.
    Most 150hp rated glass boats don't have the deck space that the aluminum ones do. Wouldn't a 2019 model Ranger be before they moved?

Most 150hp rated glass boats don't have the deck space that the aluminum ones do. Wouldn't a 2019 model Ranger be before they moved?
    Yes That boat would have been made in Flippin.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Look at both aluminum and glass. Don't be afraid to buy either. Get what you want and don't let anyone talk you out of it!

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

11. Member
    I think they moved operations in 2021. My 2020 was built in Flippin

12. Member
    SeaArk BC 190.

Rated for 175HP Built like a tank. Im sure they are expensive but If I wanted 150HP in a Premium Aluminum rig, you better be checking out SeaArk boats.

13. Member
    My neighbor has a smal Sea Ark crappie boat with a 60 hp motor.
    It’s a really well built boat.

14. #FRB
    I feel like a lot of the problems with higher powered tin rigs is people tend to drive like idiots in rough water. I know it can be hard to contain yourself when in a tournament and/or jacked up on energy drinks. Your boat is a tool and if you take care of your tools they will take care of you. I own an Xpress with a 115 on it and it seems to be a very well built boat but I still baby it in rough water. With a 150 or above I'd lean more towards fiberglass especially considering how much the nicer tin rigs cost these days. I bought my Xpress because I didn't want to constantly have that monkey on my back telling me to wipe my boat down because it's carport kept and not garage kept. Still can't deny the fact most tin rigs have more front deck space than their glass counterparts.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member

Some of the bad welds on a pre Johnny Morris ranger

image000003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    I remember in 2015-2016 when most on here told me to buy the Ranger or Triton aluminum because it was a better boat than the Tracker. I chose my Tracker because it was a hair cheaper and it looked like it would ride a lot better when my home lake did what my home lake is known for (getting nasty). Wasn't long before reports were rolling in about the Ranger RT having QC problems but not much in the way of the Tracker. I'm not saying one rig is better than the other because how a boat is treated has a lot more to do with how one holds up than anything else in my opinion. The RT does look like it has a harder landing than the Tracker hull in rough water which could contribute to welds failing. Just remember that when the boat flexes those welds are being stressed just like everything else and they'll eventually fail. But if the weld is bad even the most careful people can have issues.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. Member
    This whole myth of Ranger RT aluminums having lower weld quality or more failures after JM bought Ranger than before is just that... a myth. Also a myth is that the welds are worse on 2021 and newer model years after moving the production from Flippin to Springfield. There are well-documented instances of weld failures on this site and others of RT boats from all model years. If it is on the boat you own, it is one too many failures.

What percentage of weld failures on any one model year of a boat is low or high is a matter of opinion. Is 1% of all boats made that year having a weld failure high or low? And over what span of use? You decide... and you will have to do so without knowing what the fleet failure rate is. Compound this decision with the fact that older model years have been in service longer than newer model years... duh!... and the stress and fatigue of welds and any failures increase over time.

You would need to know how many failures happened in say the first 5 years of ownership of one model year compared to another model year. Good luck with that.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I feel like a lot of the problems with higher powered tin rigs is people tend to drive like idiots in rough water. I know it can be hard to contain yourself when in a tournament and/or jacked up on energy drinks. Your boat is a tool and if you take care of your tools they will take care of you. I own an Xpress with a 115 on it and it seems to be a very well built boat but I still baby it in rough water. With a 150 or above I'd lean more towards fiberglass especially considering how much the nicer tin rigs cost these days. I bought my Xpress because I didn't want to constantly have that monkey on my back telling me to wipe my boat down because it's carport kept and not garage kept. Still can't deny the fact most tin rigs have more front deck space than their glass counterparts.

Been checking out the H18's online at Weidas marine myself, I really like the looks and the fact that they come rigged with Yamaha and seadek standard. They look like really well built boats. and nice looking trailers as well.

19. Member
    The Xpress is a fine boat. They have local dealers in my area. I would definitely own one. I like my Ranger, but the Xpress is one of if not the best aluminum bass boat option at it's price points.

20. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    This whole myth of Ranger RT aluminums having lower weld quality or more failures after JM bought Ranger than before is just that... a myth. Also a myth is that the welds are worse on 2021 and newer model years after moving the production from Flippin to Springfield. There are well-documented instances of weld failures on this site and others of RT boats from all model years. If it is on the boat you own, it is one too many failures.

What percentage of weld failures on any one model year of a boat is low or high is a matter of opinion. Is 1% of all boats made that year having a weld failure high or low? And over what span of use? You decide... and you will have to do so without knowing what the fleet failure rate is. Compound this decision with the fact that older model years have been in service longer than newer model years... duh!... and the stress and fatigue of welds and any failures increase over time.

You would need to know how many failures happened in say the first 5 years of ownership of one model year compared to another model year. Good luck with that.
    People just like to blame Johnny for everything bad even when in some cases he might be making things better, some cases worse, but haven't looked into it much if any so just speculation on my part.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast