Anyone dealing with both these Glaucoma and Diabetes at same time

Had a cornea eye transplant few years ago and now have to deal with this (Glaucoma and Diabetes) in my left eye, anyone having similar problems? Currently taking four drops a day trying to get it under control, vision is really starting to bother me. I see my Cornea Dr in Cape next week.

2. Member
    Dang hope and pray you feel better Rodney.

3. Member
    Only diabetes here and that is plenty.

4. Member
    My buddy who I worked with for 30 years and grew up close friends has that plus something called Fukes Dystrophy . He has it rough!

5. Member
    I have glaucoma and pre or almost diabetes. They caught mine pretty early and with drops my pressure has been stable 12 to 17. 3 weeks ago I went for annual and pressure in right eye was 29. He has prescribed another drop and said something about potential Lazer surgery? I just wonder if my elevated sugar levels are causing eye pressure to increase or if it just decided to get worse.

My mother had glaucoma and fukes dystrophy. She had it rough. Tubes were placed in her eyes to relieve pressure then a staff infection got in the right eye and just about went blind. Rough rough. I'm 50 and unsure about the future of my eyes.
    Good luck to you

6. Member
    I don’t have diabetes but do have glaucoma. I had a cataract removal and the next day the Doctor examined my eye and said the pressure was up to 40. I am going back this afternoon to see him. I hope that pressure has gone down because I have to have a heart cath in the morning. If I had known about all of this I would not have had my cataract procedure . The heart Doctor called me that afternoon to tell me he didn’t like the results of the heart monitor I had worn for two weeks. When you have multiple things going on it definitely makes it more difficult.
    Remember if you have glaucoma be careful about cataract procedures as the swelling will increase the pressure.
    Good luck to you!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post
    I have glaucoma and pre or almost diabetes. They caught mine pretty early and with drops my pressure has been stable 12 to 17. 3 weeks ago I went for annual and pressure in right eye was 29. He has prescribed another drop and said something about potential Lazer surgery? I just wonder if my elevated sugar levels are causing eye pressure to increase or if it just decided to get worse.

My mother had glaucoma and fukes dystrophy. She had it rough. Tubes were placed in her eyes to relieve pressure then a staff infection got in the right eye and just about went blind. Rough rough. GI'm 50 and unsure about the future of my eyes.
    Good luck to you
    Sorry to hear it Sean. Holler at your boy if you have any nutrition questions for diabetes.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

8. Member
    My MIL has Fuchs and it has left her legally blind after many surgeries. Stay on top of it Rodney!

9. Member
    Sorry to hear about the nasty issues. Diabetes is the worst one but glaucoma really hinders lifestyle. Father in law had glaucoma and lived with it for a few years until he passed and was still able to drive. His key was listening to the Ophthalmologist.

10. Member
    Rodney, I do not have any input on your situation. My Mother and Grandmother both were blind before they passed away.

Best wishes for you and your medical teams.

My Mother had many surgeries and participated in a couple experimental surgeries/studies at the UAB Eye Foundation. When she passed away, the Eye Foundation came to the Funeral Home and removed her eyes for further study.

After one of her emergency surgeries, the Dr (probably one of the top 5 Glaucoma Doctors in the world) came out to talk to us. He emphasized how critical it is to get our eyes checked every year.

I was already doing that, but I will not miss a year, knowing early detection is so important.

Again, best wishes as you deal with these issues.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post

My mother had glaucoma and fukes dystrophy. She had it rough. Tubes were placed in her eyes to relieve pressure then a staff infection got in the right eye and just about went blind. Rough rough. I'm 50 and unsure about the future of my eyes.
    Good luck to you
    I had tubes implanted two years ago in my left eye, pressure was running 26-29, after they did it went down until my 6-month visit, then it was back up. The last visit it was high again and my vision sucked. He prescribed some drop made with my blood, but they had problems getting someone to take blood. It's a outfit out of North C, hopping my Dr can arrange to try it again. This blood drop thing was going to be 600.00 which insurance did not pay for, these other four drops are very pricy also. Maybe my Dr will have something up his sleeve, at this point i need it.

12. Member
    Just got good news after seeing the ophthalmologist this afternoon. A week ago after Cataract procedure my pressure was 40 plus. After a week of eye drops it was down to 18.
    Now I am hoping for good news tomorrow about the results of my heart cath procedure I am having in the morning.

13. Member
    I have glaucoma and had surgery on both eyes in 2020 to remove cataracts and improve my eye pressures. Been through several eye drops to keep the eye pressure down to the mid teens and the current one appears to work okay. Lost a lot if vision in my left eye, to the point that if my right was as bad as the left, I'd be unable to drive but the right is working to make up the difference. The eye drops that I'm on are not cheap, 600$ until I hit deductible then about 250$ but you can't put a price on your vision..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I had tubes implanted two years ago in my left eye, pressure was running 26-29, after they did it went down until my 6-month visit, then it was back up. The last visit it was high again and my vision sucked. He prescribed some drop made with my blood, but they had problems getting someone to take blood. It's an Rodney outfit out of North C, hopping my Dr can arrange to try it again. This blood drop thing was going to be 600.00 which insurance did not pay for, these other four drops are very pricy also. Maybe my Dr will have something up his sleeve, at this point i need it.
    Rodney my MIL's doctor in Louisville told them to check every port when they are cruising. They just got back from one cruise and are going on another for three weeks in late Jan. They know where every little po dunk drug store is in most ports. They load up on scripts if the elpharmacio has em. Some of those eye drops are expensive even with insurance.

15. Member
    Just had them check me again this morn for Glaucoma . Pressure still high but has come down lil bit from 2 mos. ago. Want to check me again in 4 mos. I also have diabetes . I go to VA so at least all these test are not costing me anything . Did have to have laser surgery in one eye for a torn retina , basically they welded the tear shut . Still have flashers and floaters in one eye . Pretty scary stuff , dont want lose my eyesight !!!
    Last edited by okiebass; 12-01-2023 at 01:15 PM.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    I hope your eye appointment went well Rodney!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I hope your eye appointment went well Rodney!
    Glaucoma test showed it was worst, but my eye pressure was setting at 15 which is near perfect. He put me on another drop at 720.00 per month, seems like it's helping some also. Decided to try the blood serum thing again where they take blood, send it off to NC and make eye drops for my left eye only. This is about 600.00 for eight virial's, last thing to try to slow it down some. He did say that diabetics did not have anything to do with my eye problems. Hope everyone else gets a better report who is battling this stuff like i am.

18. Member
    Glad the doc found meds and hope you get relief. It took me 7 months to get my A1C from 6.8 to 5.5. It’s like we got nothing but time in retirement.

You can look up prescription drug plans until Dec 7th with the name of your drops and ensure you’re on the best plan available in 2024. If you have a MAPD the same Medicare rule applies. But, those drops can be pretty expensive no matter the plan.