Thread: legend history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

legend history.

I'm thinking about buying a used boat. What's the history of legend boats?

2. Member
    Just another run of the mill cookie cutter with an exceptionally wet ride. Got bought out and shut down because their factory was worth more than their product.

3. Member
    Like many boats out there, the Legend hull is a splashed hull of sorts. I would not classify them as run of the mill however, I think the build quality is superb and better than most. The only models I understood you might stay away from were the first year V20 (2015's). They do have a tendency to be wet riding in a cross chop. Legend was purchased by JM (WRMG), and the factory used to build Triton boats... there was never any intent to maintain Legend production after the acquisition.

Personally I think they are unique and something much different looking than most bass boats out there. I've never received so many compliments with my previous two champs... and this boat is built a lot better than my previous two champs. Legend was a low production builder, no where near the production levels of Phoenix, Triton, Nitro, etc. I'd put them in a niche category of Ballistic, Basscat, Gambler, etc.... but not a go fast boat by any stretch.

Don't think the previous post lends much credibility to the brand, but most Legend owners love their rigs and have been very helpful with new owners.
    Last edited by jbabin76; 12-01-2023 at 01:47 PM.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    They seem to hold their resale value very well. I looked at them back in like 2005 or
    so. Seemed to be. Very well built with a lot of attention to detail. I’d own one for sure!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Just another run of the mill cookie cutter with an exceptionally wet ride. Got bought out and shut down because their factory was worth more than their product.
    My 519 I had was a wet ride. The 199 I’ve had is by far the best riding boat I’ve owned and I never get wet in it. I’ve had no reason to replace the boat. Had it 10 years and that model is still selling for more than I paid for it.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Hawk Boats, by John Storie (Champion founder) was purchased by Randy Qualls and became Legend. Hawk started in 97 and the last models were 2000. Legend's first year shows to be 2003 with the LE series (LE186, LE195 & LE21), which I would assume to be very close to Hawk although they didn't have a 186, they did have a Super 1950 and Super 2100. There is really no relation to the Viper/Cobra other than John Storie did some design work on those.

7. Member
    Bought my first one in 2007 it was a used 199. Sold it to buy the 211R I have been in since 2015 would buy another one if this one ever goes bad

8. Member
    Give Deans Top & Canvas a call for Legend Seats
    Mountain Home, Arkansas 870-425-6189

9. Member
    I'm looking to get a V20 down the road. Are you saying all of V20 have a wet ride or just the 2015's. What years had problems with hole shot and cracking in some areas? Any other pros and cons? Really love the look and layout of them!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    I'm looking to get a V20 down the road. Are you saying all of V20 have a wet ride or just the 2015's. What years had problems with hole shot and cracking in some areas? Any other pros and cons? Really love the look and layout of them!
    I would say that Legend boats in general have a tendency to be on the wet side depending on conditions. I haven't figured it out, but there is something in the design at the front of the hull that will catch and spray water up and over the gunnel.... not all the time... I think the key is getting the front up, which seems to take some work at lower to mid range speed. I'm new to Legend, just got my 2018 this summer so I'm still learning about the hull. It's very smooth riding and handles very well. A lot to like about the boat really.

On the V20, I would try to find a 2017 or 2018. There were some 2015's from my research that had some potential issues. That was the first year of production. There are probably some 2015's that are perfectly fine, but I would look at 2016 and above.

I love the storage of the V20, but don't like the extremely low gunnels... too afraid I would kick rods off the deck. So I limited my search to the 211.

11. Member
    Legend heritage goes back to the Viper/Cobra days. Where John Storie started building a new boat after his days of Champion. The agreement was that he could not produce another “wedge style” hull that would compete with the design of Champion. Thus he took a Ranger 488 series and started modifying it. He changed the bottom some along with the entry and the chines a bit and that became a Viper. The brand actually did quite well for a while. A few bad business decisions internally with a partnership and a bad run of a resin blend from a chemical company caused a huge number of hull and blister failures that plagued Viper to the point that it couldn’t recover so they ultimately closed down. John used the hull design to build a run of Fisher FX models and then the Hawk. Hawk eventually set up shop in Oklahoma and things didn’t go as planned and the tooling and a lot of the equipment was acquired and taken to TX for a short time and more modifications were made to the boats, then ultimately everything got moved back to a small shop in Midway AR and reconstructed as Legend. The 211 became the flagship of the company and performed very well for several years. Another new building was purchased in Midway and turned into a great facility/factory. In 2014 the decision was made to develop from the 211 Alpha the first “true wide body” front deck 20’ bass boat which launched the 2015 V-20. The V-20 became so popular for the company that the other models virtually dropped off of radar with their production numbers. In 2016 some wiring harness changes were made and some internal structure along with some lamination schedules were changed with the deck and parts of the hull. In 2017 there were some hull bottom changes to the V-20 to the chines going forward and part of the strakes. These changes did indeed help with some of the spray that tended to create a bit of a wet ride especially in a head on or quartering wind. Also in the the fall of that year the 2018 V-20 was conceived. More turn down of the chine “very slightly” occurred and a newly designed top cap was created. That boat stayed in production until WRMG/ Bass Pro shops bought the brand strictly for the purpose of using the facility to produce Triton boats and get them moved out of the Ranger production line. That marked the end of Legend.

12. Member
    How do you know all this? Former salesman for them?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbless View Post
    Legend heritage goes back to the Viper/Cobra days. Where John Storie started building a new boat after his days of Champion. The agreement was that he could not produce another “wedge style” hull that would compete with the design of Champion. Thus he took a Ranger 488 series and started modifying it. He changed the bottom some along with the entry and the chines a bit and that became a Viper. The brand actually did quite well for a while. A few bad business decisions internally with a partnership and a bad run of a resin blend from a chemical company caused a huge number of hull and blister failures that plagued Viper to the point that it couldn’t recover so they ultimately closed down. John used the hull design to build a run of Fisher FX models and then the Hawk. Hawk eventually set up shop in Oklahoma and things didn’t go as planned and the tooling and a lot of the equipment was acquired and taken to TX for a short time and more modifications were made to the boats, then ultimately everything got moved back to a small shop in Midway AR and reconstructed as Legend. The 211 became the flagship of the company and performed very well for several years. Another new building was purchased in Midway and turned into a great facility/factory. In 2014 the decision was made to develop from the 211 Alpha the first “true wide body” front deck 20’ bass boat which launched the 2015 V-20. The V-20 became so popular for the company that the other models virtually dropped off of radar with their production numbers. In 2016 some wiring harness changes were made and some internal structure along with some lamination schedules were changed with the deck and parts of the hull. In 2017 there were some hull bottom changes to the V-20 to the chines going forward and part of the strakes. These changes did indeed help with some of the spray that tended to create a bit of a wet ride especially in a head on or quartering wind. Also in the the fall of that year the 2018 V-20 was conceived. More turn down of the chine “very slightly” occurred and a newly designed top cap was created. That boat stayed in production until WRMG/ Bass Pro shops bought the brand strictly for the purpose of using the facility to produce Triton boats and get them moved out of the Ranger production line. That marked the end of Legend.
    THIS

14. Member
    Every one I know that bought a V 20 has since sold them.
    Every one I know with a Alpha series has kept them.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Every one I know that bought a V 20 has since sold them.
    Every one I know with a Alpha series has kept them.
    Sir I was fortunate enough to get one of the last 2018 built and can assure you that I will not be selling mine. I have had plenty of offers and plenty of compliments everywhere I've been. I will also add when the pond gets rough, I haven't been passed although I have noticed a lot of the name brand boats fading in the distance
    2018 Legend V20
    Mercury 300R

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old hurst View Post
    Sir I was fortunate enough to get one of the last 2018 built and can assure you that I will not be selling mine. I have had plenty of offers and plenty of compliments everywhere I've been. I will also add when the pond gets rough, I haven't been passed although I have noticed a lot of the name brand boats fading in the distance
    Does your 2018 have the wet ride being described on the earlier year models? Anything you dislike about it?

17. Member
    If you're quartering and have the nose planted the wind will sometimes blow the spray. I've found if you keep the nose up your fine. I haven't been in all the brands but my fishing partner has been in most and says it's as good as them. I don't know anything about the earlier models but when I ordered mine they had a 17 and 18 and I liked the console on the 18 better. It has a little back wash if you sit down fast and has way too much storage for tackle addicts like myself I would be glad to talk more or take you out for a ride if you get down to north FL. Just PM me.
    2018 Legend V20
    Mercury 300R

18. Member
    Thanks for the information and the offer! I will keep you in mind if I'm ever down that way.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    THIS
    I won't be selling my 2018 V20, so now you know a couple guys that won't

20. Member
    I won't be selling my 2018 V20, so now you know a couple guys that won't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast