Thread: Tilt/trim issue

Tilt/trim issue

Fot 2003 50 hp mercury 2 stroke, finally got it back up and running. Now the having trim issues. Motor qill trim all the up but only about a fourth of the way down and stops. Motor keeps running but the outboard won't trim any further, I assume I can rule out relays since the Motor will move in both directions, checked fluid and it was full. I tried to lower it manually turning the manual release screw but still won't lower. I'm guessing the piston stuck somehow?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggestions:

1. Run all the way up to the stop, set latch, level boat, check fluid to make sure it's JUST TO the fill port (NOT spewing out). An overfull system may not run to full "down" properly.

2. If above is ok, run all the way UP, and check the tilt cylinder for any signs of warping or bend. Saran-Wrap on a straight-edge may be helpful (wrap the straight edge to prevent scratching the rod).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor