RV battery question

Just hooked up a battery monitor that I got at Amazon. Ancel BM300 for those inquiring minds...
    Now the question...
    It has 2 group 24 interstates that are wired in series. (Guess I thought they would have been in parallel) Is being wired in series correct? Or should they be wired in parallel?
    Thank you for any advice/suggestions

2. Member
    Depends on what you want more of, amp hours or voltage. There's some youtube videos that should be helpful. From google: "Connecting batteries in series increase the voltage, however, connecting batteries in parallel increase the current or ampere hours. The overall power output of the series or parallel combination is determined by both its voltage and ampere hour ratings(capacity)."

I would double check that? It seems most the systems I have seen are 12V and not 24V, but I would check with the manufacturer or dealer for you camper to be sure.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I would double check that? It seems most the systems I have seen are 12V and not 24V, but I would check with the manufacturer or dealer for you camper to be sure.
    This. I have never seen or heard of any RV (motorhome, 5th wheel or travel trailer) wired for 24 volts.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    This. I have never seen or heard of any RV (motorhome, 5th wheel or travel trailer) wired for 24 volts.
    Fairly common for people with big solar systems to go 24V. Makes the interface to the batteries easier. Then they convert to 12V to run appliances.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OdingyNBugs View Post
    Just hooked up a battery monitor that I got at Amazon. Ancel BM300 for those inquiring minds...
    Now the question...
    It has 2 group 24 interstates that are wired in series. (Guess I thought they would have been in parallel) Is being wired in series correct? Or should they be wired in parallel?
    Thank you for any advice/suggestions
    Are they 6V or 12V batteries? 6V golf car batteries are very common in the RV world. Usually a GC in the model number, or you can count the vent caps/holes. 3 of them on a 6V battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    damn, had the two confused- my brain says series is neg-neg/pos-pos, parallel is pos-neg (2 different batteries.) the batteries are neg-neg/pos-pos so they are parallel
    dealer said it is a 12 V system so it is correct
    just a little backassward in my melon.....

Quote Originally Posted by OdingyNBugs View Post
    just a little backassward in my melon.....
    You ain't alone Brother!
    I did see where guys do have 24V setups for their solar system, but then there is addition equipment to knock it down to 12V when connecting to the camper!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I have a Pusher that I run 2 12v in parallel for the Engine/starting batteries and 2 12v in parallel for the House batteries. I used to have 2 6v in series for the house batteries but I wanted to use a Genius 4/15 to keep them charged and maintained when not in use so I switched to the 2 12's. Plus, I couldn't find any 6v maintenance free batteries. I got tired of the mess they leave and having to check them all the time !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents