Thread: Jaguar question

Jaguar question

I have noticed a few on here have left a Jag and went to a Puma STS. Main reasons? Ever miss your Jag? Thanks!

We will comment on the two (2) pro anglers that left Jaguar STS models and went to the Puma STS models. They were limited by the 250 limits for Bassmaster and MLF events. This season both have requested a move back to their Jaguar STS models. They like the floor plans and size of those boats.

3. Member
    Have had both and you can’t go wrong with either one. Jag is in a class by itself and no one can touch the combination of speed, size, handling and fish ability. I switched to the Puma for a couple of reasons:

I wanted to push 80 and I wanted something a little more nimble around docks and standing timber. Both ride, fish, and handle great!

4. Member
    Thank you. I have read about a few guys on here going to a Puma STS, and just kind of curious. Thanks for the responses!

5. Member
    I moved to a Jag from the Puma STS. The Jag is the pinnacle in the BCB line. It has amazing space both storage and fishing, more legroom than anything I’ve ever been in, and silky smooth ride. The motor selection determines the performance and I have been into the 80s with lots (1,700 rpm) to go while I learn the performance particulars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpeiserich View Post
    I moved to a Jag from the Puma STS. The Jag is the pinnacle in the BCB line. It has amazing space both storage and fishing, more legroom than anything I’ve ever been in, and silky smooth ride. The motor selection determines the performance and I have been into the 80s with lots (1,700 rpm) to go while I learn the performance particulars.
    Curious, what motor and prop are you running.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

V10 - 400R
    2024 model
    Ventera 27

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Curious, what motor and prop are you running.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    V10 - 400R
    2024 model
    Ventera 27
    Congratulations, sweet setup
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

9. Member
    Ha i bet that cat will run.

10. Member
    Yep! Let's see a pic!

Heritage, I’ve been meaning to answer this. I ran a 22 Jaguar sts with a 400 Verado for a year and a half. I currently have a 24 Puma sts 300 proxs. There were several reasons for my decision. First being I don’t typically keep a boat longer than 2 years. I like trying new models, features, and really enjoy designing the next color scheme. The endless “perfect” boat search (that we all know likely doesn’t exist)I’m gonna spew out some thoughts in no particular order here so excuse the haphazard writing. I will say that I REALLY liked my Jaguar and it was a hard decision whether to order another or try the new Puma. The Jaguar , for me, had a good floor plan and more room for storage than I could ever use. It’s nice to have spare room for things. I used the helmet compartment as a place for a spare change of clothes at the bottom and lined it with a kitchen size trash bag and used it as my trash receptacle. That really worked nicely. I got the Jaguar because I wanted the biggest and baddest. I came from a Sterling in 2017 and had two Allisons afterward that were more narrow at the bow. I missed the deck space up front and had been following Basscat for a while. After touring the plant and meeting/talking to Rick everything I had read about the quality of their boats, customer care, and Rick himself was confirmed ten fold. Biggest and baddest was confirmed the first time I took it out. Deeper V than I had imagined as well as the front deck size, and hauled everything into the low 80’s. It eats up chop and handles larger waves better than any other I have owned. I fish mostly river systems that empty out into large sounds that can get like the ocean. These sounds have many other rivers that, if you can reach , can be the difference of winning the tournament along with much less fishing pressure. That was another reason I chose the Jaguar. Ironically in my first event with it I found myself in a ultra low water situation and had trouble accessing some canals. For the first time I actually had to MUCH boat. Now this was a one off situation that I never encountered again. I didn’t do much long, sound crossing, running that year and ended up doing more river running. I felt like I wasn’t utilizing the boat for what it did best. With all the extremely positive feedback on the new Puma sts I decided to try it. Didn’t have to give up and deck width and I liked the look of the layout. Being able to have an 80mph boat is important for me and I felt like with the 300 it would be capable. I have only had the boat out 3 times but I can adapt to a different boat and figure out what it likes as far as settings/attitude/driving fairly quickly. So I feel I can give you some solid feedback. First time out was for break in, then practice, last was a two day event. I immediately noticed it was more nimble and quicker to respond to all things. As it would be as we are not comparing apples to apples. My impression is extremely positive and I don’t have anything I can say I do not like yet. I really like how it drives and handles. The Jag felt like a big high end powerful luxury car and the puma more towards a sports car feel with still a touch of luxury car to it.

To answer you last question, YES. My partner and I did manage to tangle up while both casting at the same time at apparently a bad angle. He said “ that wouldn’t have happened in the Jaguar” While undoing the mess and losing fishing time I did miss the Jaguar at that moment 22ft vs 20’7” got us just a little to close on that particular cast. Time will tell if there are more things I miss or not. Crossing a rough sound could be one situation. River running, being more nimble, the puma seems to have the advantage. For good reason as we are comparing two fairly different models in a lot of ways. Hope this helps in your search.

-Craig
    Last edited by white gambler; 12-03-2023 at 01:12 PM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

12. Member
    I really do appreciate the feedback! Thanks fellas.