Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 Triton TR 196 value?

I am going to look at an 04 Triton TR196 with a Mercury 200 EFI 3.0 on it. The boat looks like it's in great shape, but it only as a 24v Fortrex Trolling motor, 2 10 year old 8" Lowrance HDS unit, no jack plate, no power poles, and just a single axle trailer. According to the NADA it is worth about 14K, I understand that NADA values can be low but he has it listed for 21K and is willing to come down on it some. I was thinking of offering him 16-17K for it, does that sound like a fair deal if it is in good shape and everything is working?

2. #FRB
    I don't think you're too far off on what you're wanting to give. As long as it's a creampuff that's been babied I wouldn't worry about the extras it DOESN'T have. You'll want to doll it up your way anyway just like most everyone else. That 24v Fortrex will move the boat fine in most reasonable conditions. That's all my friend's Champion 196 has on it since new in 01 and he only cusses his 80# Maxxum in really bad wind when I can punch right through the same wind with the same size trolling motor on my boat. Like I said, as long as the boat is in really good shape the rest can be dealt with over time. A boat in really good shape with outdated electronics and minimal options is way better than a fully loaded boat that's been beat to shit by a high strung guy slamming energy drinks.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    my 2000 stratos had a 24v maxxum and I loved it. i sold two boats that age a yr or two ago (stratos-basscat) both for 14k. the stratos had a ficht that still runs great today. the electronics were better and the rig was a garage queen. with all the upgrades
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I don't think you're too far off on what you're wanting to give. As long as it's a creampuff that's been babied I wouldn't worry about the extras it DOESN'T have. You'll want to doll it up your way anyway just like most everyone else. That 24v Fortrex will move the boat fine in most reasonable conditions. That's all my friend's Champion 196 has on it since new in 01 and he only cusses his 80# Maxxum in really bad wind when I can punch right through the same wind with the same size trolling motor on my boat. Like I said, as long as the boat is in really good shape the rest can be dealt with over time. A boat in really good shape with outdated electronics and minimal options is way better than a fully loaded boat that's been beat to shit by a high strung guy slamming energy drinks.
    I agree, what electronics and trolling motor it has is not a big deal for me, I just don't see 20K of value in it as is.

5. Member
    $14k is all I'll offer

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    $14k is all I'll offer
    With the EFI (which loves gas), I agree.
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wash-n-lures View Post
    With the EFI (which loves gas), I agree.
    I would rather have the EFI than an Optimax.

Stay away from a poptimax. EFI's can last a long time. If it's always been stored inside, liable to be in great shape. That old of a boat left outdoors would require replacing pretty much everything. You can look at skeg and hull and pretty much tell if she's been taken care of....$16-$17K offer sounds reasonable. I would not offer $20K for that old of a boat no matter what shape it's in.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

My current rig is a 2004 TR196DC with 200 Optimax, loaded with lithium batteries, talons, and three 12 inch electronic units etc.. My boat has less than 150 hours on the engine and has been garage kept all it's life except when I have had it out on the lake. If this one you are looking at is anywhere near the shape mine is in, I personally would not let mine for for anything less than $25K with all the accessories, and nothing less than $20K without them. With the prices on new boats today, a used boat in excellent shape should drive a much higher price than just a few short years ago in my opinion. Also, why would anyone want an old EFI engine verses a DFI? Those old EFI engines were latent with starting issues and other problems. I personally would not want to go back in time to the old technology.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    My current rig is a 2004 TR196DC with 200 Optimax, loaded with lithium batteries, talons, and three 12 inch electronic units etc.. My boat has less than 150 hours on the engine and has been garage kept all it's life except when I have had it out on the lake. If this one you are looking at is anywhere near the shape mine is in, I personally would not let mine for for anything less than $25K with all the accessories, and nothing less than $20K without them. With the prices on new boats today, a used boat in excellent shape should drive a much higher price than just a few short years ago in my opinion. Also, why would anyone want an old EFI engine verses a DFI? Those old EFI engines were latent with starting issues and other problems. I personally would not want to go back in time to the old technology.
    Never had starting issues with an EFI, carbed motors yes, but the EFIs have always fired right up for me. With an EFI you have no $1500 compressor or $600 oil pump to go bad, and no oil tank in the way either if you delete the oil system and premix, parts are cheaper and they are more reliable. I have an Optimax now and it has been a great motor but they can get expensive in a hurry.

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I would rather have the EFI than an Optimax.
    Me too. I'd be willing to pay more for a boat with a good EFI.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    $15K cash tops. Its overpriced at anything over 18K with the outdated accesories, single axle, no PP etc. Think of it like a car that old with no blue tooth capability, almost a dinosaur really.

13. Member
    Nothing wrong with a Optimax. 15 k the boat would have to look like new. 24 volt system would make me keep looking.

14. Member
    Sporty hull & a very nice fishing platform. I fish tidal rivers 50+ days a year & a 24v TM has been more than enough on my TR196.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Optimax. 15 k the boat would have to look like new. 24 volt system would make me keep looking.
    24v on a 19 footer plenty in Ohio area
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    24v on a 19 footer plenty in Ohio area
    There have been times where a 24v on my 17.5' boat wasn't hardly enough.

17. Member
    80 lb ultrex on a 518 ranger plenty motor

18. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Never had starting issues with an EFI, carbed motors yes, but the EFIs have always fired right up for me. With an EFI you have no $1500 compressor or $600 oil pump to go bad, and no oil tank in the way either if you delete the oil system and premix, parts are cheaper and they are more reliable. I have an Optimax now and it has been a great motor but they can get expensive in a hurry.
    My EFI 200 had a starting issue I was able to easily fix. My friend had a 175 EFI that he never could completely pin down the problem but keeping it trimmed up some while fishing and running 87 e10 through it helped a lot believe it or not. Would fire right up when cold but after the first run unless you had the warmup lever in EXACTLY the right place on that 175 you were in for a fight. Acted like it was heat soaking.

I'd still take an EFI over an Optipop.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

19. Member
    Insist on a compression check. Remove any transom saver and with then grab the lower case and pull it back and forth to check for excessive transom movement. Also have a small pocket knife with a pointed blade, poke it in the floor areas of the cockpit to see if its has any rot. Check the rear compartment to see what it looks like. If its dirty and messy, bad sign. While in there, look for any cracks around the edges and bottom of the transom area or transom/stringer joints. Check the trailer wheels for excessive bearing play. (grab the top of the tire and shake it in and out, if it wiggles much, worn out bearings or bearings needing grease/adjustment. Check the welds on the trailer frame for cracks. If the boat appears like its just been "buffed out", its a red flag for me. Look at the wiring, if its messy and jumbled up, another red flag. If all is good, 16k tops.

20. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    A boat in really good shape with outdated electronics and minimal options is way better than a fully loaded boat that's been beat to shit by a high strung guy slamming energy drinks.
    This has got to be a finalist for BBC quote of the year!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast