Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Either drive the trailer up on some 2x4's, or jack it up and set the frame on jackstands. Then use the trailer jack in front to get it level

2. Member
    And I worry about how windy it is what lure to throw. I need to take notes on this thread.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    I think he's saying he wants to get the plate level so he can set it at 3" below, "a recommended starting point", so he can then see what that looks like on his gauge while running....
    Yeah, jack it where you need to be. Small level on the plate and level pad and a tape measure, and a little math.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    The point is, with a Hyd plate, you dont need that measurement. You "set" it as you run the boat with trim on the engine and up/down on the plate. Read up on plates and understand what they are for.
    I disagree. You NEED to know prop to pad for safety reasons. I have a hydraulic plate and need to know when i get over 1 3/4” above the pad on my jackplate gauge. My boat runs best at 1 3/4” over but if I get to 2” above the pad then I am dead. Knowing prop to pad is critical when running!!!!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    I disagree. You NEED to know prop to pad for safety reasons. I have a hydraulic plate and need to know when i get over 1 3/4” above the pad on my jackplate gauge. My boat runs best at 1 3/4” over but if I get to 2” above the pad then I am dead. Knowing prop to pad is critical when running!!!!
    That is true with your boat, but not at all with a Ranger. And that isn't a knock on Ranger, totally different scenarios.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Starting point for what? If you have a hydraulic plate it won't make a difference how many times you measure it unless you want to leave it fixed and bolt it up.
    Like said lower the tongue till the pad is level and that might get you enough. If not put it up on jack stands.
    Most boats have a jackplate gauge and it is critical to know where your motor is when your running above pad. As stated in my post above, my boat runs best at 1 3/4” above pad but 2” above pad and I die so it is VERY important to know where my motor is prop to pad!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    That is true with your boat, but not at all with a Ranger. And that isn't a knock on Ranger, totally different scenarios.
    agree! I didn’t know what kind of boat he had.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    Most boats have a jackplate gauge and it is critical to know where your motor is when your running above pad. As stated in my post above, my boat runs best at 1 3/4” above pad but 2” above pad and I die so it is VERY important to know where my motor is prop to pad!
    This is the reason why he has to jack it up is to get level, right?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    This is the reason why he has to jack it up to get level right?
    sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that with a hydo plate it didn’t matter. My bad and yes you are right.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

10. Member
    sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that with a hydo plate it didn’t matter. My bad and yes you are right.
    I might of confused it more

11. Member
    Strange Question, why is it that important if you have a boat that will only run about 72 or 73?, no offense. But it depends on what prop and lower unit your running, too low, won't drive right, too high, no water pressure, which is not good, I would think 1/2" above or 1/2" below the pad would be fine. I'm not sure how much above the pad I'm running, I just raised mine until I ran about 15psi water pressure when running mostly wot

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    watch the videos--what plate do you have? 3 below is a great place unless you are are lithium then 3.5 to 4 below might be better--7-8 on atlas gauge
    It's an Atlas.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12