Xr6 Bogging down after warming up

2000 Xr6 150 serial 0T103129

1st instance several weeks ago. Runs fine all morning. About 10:30 won’t get on plane, bogging down. 10 minute idle back to the ramp. Check the plugs and one of the terminals comes out of the ceramic and sticks in the wire. That must be it. Change the plugs. Take to the nearest ramp. Hops on plane 2-3 times. Load up and go on my way.

Take it out the next weekend, motor is fine until about 10 o’clock. Make a 5 minute idle through a no wake zone try to get on plane and bogs down. I am good way from the ramp so I say heck with it I’ll fish back to the ramp. 3 hours later I get back close to the ramp and decide to check it. Jumps right on plane. The motor starts fine even after I have the symptoms which leads me to believe it’s electrical and not fuel issue but I am in no way any kind of mechanic.

I have spark on all six. It looks weak to me but like I said I’m no mechanic. All the resistance tests are within spec on the stator. Is this something where I need to check after the symptoms arrive or am I way out in left field in my thinking?

thanks in advance

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your post to the correct (2.5L) forum.

Are you pumping your primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start? This is very important on this engine model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I do not. I did check it after it began having problems and it was firm.

I thought he said he checked the stator? I need to pay attention to which posts I'm reading at the same time.
    Last edited by silverbullet02; 11-23-2023 at 03:04 PM.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is a CDM ignition model with ICM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This is a CDM ignition model with ICM.
    My bad, I saw that but forgot by the time I finished reading it, lol.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

7. Member
    So this means it could not be the stator?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very unlikely- in most cases a failed stator results in no-spark (or intermittent complete loss of spark) on these models.

9. Member
    Ok, I am at my wit’s end. I have personally changed the following: plugs, coil packs, all fuel lines, bulb, fuel filter, pickup tube and anti siphon valve. The mechanic has changed the stator, both regulator rectifiers and fuel enrichment valve. I just returned from the river where I had the same problems. Does fine at first then surges, bogs down and won’t get on plane. The only thing I can think of that hasn’t been touched is the fuel pump and carbs. Guess I will take it back to the shop ����*♂️

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you tried a separate fuel tank and line, connected directly to the engine (yet)?

11. Member
    I haven’t. You thinking it may be the fuel?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Have you tried a separate fuel tank and line, connected directly to the engine (yet)?
    always eliminate boat and line assy as source first simplest fix
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    I know running on a remote tank would eliminate it, but could it be a vent problem? I do get gas coming out of the cap when I cut off the pump.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it "could" be. Again- the remote tank would eliminate it, letting you know the problem is either:

-In the BOAT fuel supply system

(or)

-Inside the engine cowling.

15. Member
    Update: I have been going at this a little at a time because I coach high school baseball and my daughter plays softball so my free time from January to May is extremely limited. Long story short I am still having the same trouble. I ran it on a remote tank and have replaced the following parts:
    Spark plugs, coil packs, pickup tube, anti siphon, bulb and all fuel lines, fuel filter, Ignition control module, stator, and both regulator rectifiers. Is the trigger the only thing left? It only does this after getting to temperature.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, the stator is NOT the only thing left.

Did you try isolating the engine from the boat's fuel supply system with a portable tank/line yet?

17. Member
    Yessir I ran it on a portable tank with the same results. The stator was replaced, I was wondering about the trigger.

What make and model of your battery and what the specs? Are the connections on the battery tight? How old is the battery? Has it been checked?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trigger is possible... of course, so is the stator (new doesn't necessarily mean "good").