Impeller Maintenance

I live in the Phoenix area and have a 2021 Tracker with a 115 pro XS motor. The motor has only 55 hours on it as I dry dock it at a local lake and use it about 15-20 times a year for bass fishing.

I have been doing an oil, fuel filter and gear lube change annually the last two years myself. For this coming year, I am contemplating having the impeller changed in addition to the previous mentioned service. I was told that even though the engine only has 50+ hours, it is a good idea to change the impeller every 3 years because of the hot Arizona summers. Can a few of you comment on this?

Also, as I do not have enough confidence to change the impeller myself, I went to a local 5 star service shop for Mercury engines to get a quote. They quoted me $740 taxes and supplies included to do the impeller, oil change, fuel filter change, gear lube and other lube. Does this sound reasonable?

Looking forward to all yyour replies.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Ultrex 80lb 52” iPilot Link
    Bow Mount Humminbird Helix 10
    Cockpit Mount Humminbird Helix 9
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

2. Member
    That sounds ridiculous.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That sounds ridiculous.
    The price is ridiculous or needing the impeller?
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

4. Member
    I had my impeller changed out at three years as a precaution. The old impeller still looked great. Changing the impeller only I was charged +/- $250.00 three years ago. Afterwards I checked a youtube video on doing the change. I'll do my own next time.

As for your $750.00 quote? No way IMO. Sounds like $200 in supplies (max) + $550 labor.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You want to change the impeller. The vanes take a set and no longer extend like they should so the pump loses volume.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    The price is ridiculous.

7. Member
    That is way too much money for that job. I would recommend changing the impeller every few years. For the most part it’s cheap insurance. Not at that price though. I do my own and it usually cost me less than $100

8. Member
    I went to another local shop yesterday.This one had almost all 5 star reviews over the years. I also talked to an oldtimer who takes his boat there and talked about the quality of work. The shop owner quoted me $550 to put a new water pump kit on which includes the impeller. He also said he would run a full diagnostic on the engine to get a baseline along with checking out the trailer including greasing the bearings and other parts if needed, battery maintenance and other small maintenance items. He said I did not need to do any of the fluids since there has been only 25 hours since the last fluid change.

I know $550 also sounds high but maybe this is the price out here in AZ.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

9. Scraps
    Not a bad DIY thing to try. I just did my 200 and it was easy. My labor time sounds like what they’re charging you not the time of a pro mechanic. Soup to nuts this a 1-2 hr job. Last one I paid for was $225.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Yes, I change mine every 3 years, it is an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I had my impeller changed out at three years as a precaution. The old impeller still looked great. Changing the impeller only I was charged +/- $250.00 three years ago. Afterwards I checked a youtube video on doing the change. I'll do my own next time.

As for your $750.00 quote? No way IMO. Sounds like $200 in supplies (max) + $550 labor.
    Labor charged is usually $110/hr or more these days. A 5 hour job is pretty normal too. If you read the actual required work for a 3yr/300hr maintenance, it is more than just fluids and impeller.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I did all of the 3yr maintenence on my 115proxs myself. Under an hour job. Drain the oil, while it's draining take care if the top end stuff. Drop the lowerunit change the impeller, put it back together and refill the lower unit. Under an hour. Should be the minimum hour labor charge and then parts.. use quicksilver save the $$$. Shops are using expensive merc parts.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    I did all of the 3yr maintenence on my 115proxs myself. Under an hour job. Drain the oil, while it's draining take care if the top end stuff. Drop the lowerunit change the impeller, put it back together and refill the lower unit. Under an hour. Should be the minimum hour labor charge and then parts.. use quicksilver save the $$$. Shops are using expensive merc parts.
    You should start a business servicing boats.

14. #FRB
    It's an easy job to do on that motor and honestly really hard to screw up in my opinion. The hardest part is huffing the lower unit back into the hole it came out of. Really helps if you have a second set of hands even if it's just a small kid or significant other to get bolts started and/or hold the unit upright while you do the impeller replacement. Something I finally learned to do is put the motor in gear before removing the prop so you can spin the shaft with the prop to line the splines up easier when putting the lower back in its place. Trust me, the splines will fight you more times than not if you don't do this.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.