Johnson 115 hp, 60 degree, V4 - lifting engine

I need to lift my engine and move it enough to be able to remove the steering cable and replace it. I've read that this motor requires a special lifting hook / device that attaches directly to the crankshaft. My question is related to what it takes to access the crankshaft. I've attached a picture of the top of my engine. Do I need to remove the bolt in the center of the picture to expose the crankshaft? If yes, do I need to be concerned, when removing that bolt, about turning the crankshaft in a CCW direction and wrecking the impeller?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you look on each side of the block at the seam of the crank case you will see built in lifting eyes use a section of chain and run the links thru the loops and bolt the links together and use a bolt to make a loop in the center of the chain and lift away.

3. Member
    Great, exactly why I asked the question. Appreciate it, I'll take a look.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The port side is hidden by the starter but it is there.

5. Member
    I finally got an chance to remove the cowling and take a look. Attached are some pictures. I see no "loops", are you referring to the rollpins that are exposed when you pull the rubber mounts off?

6. Member
    Ignore the last post, I've looked on the top of the engine and found the two lifting "loops". See pictures. The one by the starter motor is much thinner material than the loop on the other side of the engine. Hoping they both are adequate for the lift job.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezm001 View Post
    Ignore the last post, I've looked on the top of the engine and found the two lifting "loops". See pictures. The one by the starter motor is much thinner material than the loop on the other side of the engine. Hoping they both are adequate for the lift job.
    I've lifted quite a few of them off over the years, they are more than adequate to use to lift the power head off.