Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Hooked again and 2500 are onto something. I stated that one day im seeing the entire water column then next time out I'm missing the very top in a perfectly straight angled line from nearest to furthest away. The bug splatter thing may be it!! One time out a while ago and all of a sudden I'm noticing a ton of bugs spattered all over my bow units, consoles and motor. I'm gonna check that next time I get to the boat.

the other thing I'm gonna try is the angle offset. Never saw that option.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    Yet no one has said if they checked the angle of your TM shaft as most boats have a hooked nose. Level your TM and problem solved without angle offset.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    Yet no one has said if they checked the angle of your TM shaft as most boats have a hooked nose. Level your TM and problem solved without angle offset.

I will check that too. Again however, it doesn't explain why it was all this time then one day I notice it's not. Nothing hanged with my setup or my bow.

I greatly appreciate all the tips and advice but we're missing the point. All's fine.....then it's not. I will contact Lowrance to see if there is a problem with my transducer. THEN I'l work on all these other very helpfull tips!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I will check that too. Again however, it doesn't explain why it was all this time then one day I notice it's not. Nothing hanged with my setup or my bow.

I greatly appreciate all the tips and advice but we're missing the point. All's fine.....then it's not. I will contact Lowrance to see if there is a problem with my transducer. THEN I'l work on all these other very helpfull tips!!
    i have seen were bumping the transducer when in cover and have seen accidently bumping transducer when prepping boat to launch, hard to say but i have had mine to change angle then i did the rubber washer trick and ss washer to tighten nut and still have tension to rotate the transducer but clicks are very tight.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

5. Member
    yup, I did the rubber washer thing also.
    And I happened to notice on a fishing video the angler was talking about his lure and I could see over his shoulder the FF transducer was close to the surface of the water. He had it on a separate pole than the TM shaft.
    First off I washed it real good in case it was a bug splatter then I'm going to investigate more. Also check with Lowrance on whether or not it is something within the ducer itself
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Member
    I have been silent on your post as I am reluctant to make "guesses" when I don't fully understand all aspects of a problem, but I will suggest something I have seen with a friend's unit. The AT transducer sends out multiple beams that are stitched together to make a picture. My friend's AT for some unknown reason was malfunctioning to where not all the beams were being sent out, and then received, creating a situation like yours. In other words if the total picture is composed of 5 separate beams and one beam is not functioning, you get a blank spot where that beam's sector is designated.

In my friend's case, this is what we surmised with his transducer. Don't know if it was a software issue in his AT1 box, or a software issue in his LIVE, or a hardware issue with the transducer or box. He was ready to send his AT to customer service but we decided first to basically restore everything back to factory first.

What is really surprising in his case is that after a hard reset on his LIVE. and restoring defaults on his AT, it started working again sending out all beams and eliminated the bad sector and has continued for a year now.

Not saying this is what is happening in your case, or his fix will fix yours, but thought it was worth mentioning. I don't think using the offset makes sense for large adjustments. It would be interesting to look in the top left corner of your forward screen when on the water to see if there are 5 little beams showing in the top corner, or 4 when your unit isn't working properly.
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Marc
    Will a soft reset serve the same purpose or only the hard reset?

8. Member
    I posted with this same problem severla weeks ago. AT1 worked great. When I changed to AT2 I suddenly had this problem. I checked to see if my TM was level. It was. I clicked up one notch and the problem area disappeared but my top waters showed up in like the 2 foot deep portion of the screen. I clicked down one notch and I was missing more of the screen. It does seem like a geometry issue but I can't seeem to figure out what it is.
    One reason to believe maybe it was a TM level issue is, when you turn the TM to the left, the dead space is less. When you turn the TM to the right, the dead space increases. At this point, I am learning to live with it.

9. Member
    Marc, I can't thank you enough for offering up that explanation. This is exactly what I was looking for..............

"The AT transducer sends out multiple beams that are stitched together to make a picture. My friend's AT for some unknown reason was malfunctioning to where not all the beams were being sent out, and then received, creating a situation like yours. In other words if the total picture is composed of 5 separate beams and one beam is not functioning, you get a blank spot where that beam's sector is designated."

I'm gong to try to get on the water today and look for what you described in this quote below.......

"It would be interesting to look in the top left corner of your forward screen when on the water to see if there are 5 little beams showing in the top corner, or 4 when your unit isn't working properly."

I'm going to get on the water today and look for those "5 little beams" in the upper left hand corner as you described.

I'll have to do a search on doing a "hard reset" as I can't remember at the moment. This LIVE unit is new and dedicated to the AT so doing a hard reset won't loose anything .

And thank you for the clarity on using the "offsets" in a case like this where a large amount of screen image is missing.

Marc, you are valued on this forum!!

Craig

2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Marc, I tried the hard reset like described on your youtube video by holding down - and + at the same time and pressing the ON button. The unit booted up like normal and not reset to factory.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Did you hold them ALL down until the reset?

12. Member
    Marc, I tried the hard reset like described on your youtube video by holding down - and + at the same time and pressing the ON button. The unit booted up like normal and not reset to factory.
    Start with the power off. Be sure to hold down the + and - buttons and hold them down. Press the power button and release only the power button. Keep holding down the + and - buttons until you hear a beep. Then you can let them go. Good luck!
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedAgain! View Post
    Marc
    Will a soft reset serve the same purpose or only the hard reset?
    It is possible but the hard reset fixes a lot of problems a soft reset will not.
    ciao,
    Marc

14. Member
    ok I'll try it again. I may have let go the + and - all at the same time as power.

Oh and also I could not make out any significant beams to accurately count. There is only a tiny light cluster at the top "0" depth and cannot actually count anything. Too small to be distinguishable? Not unless you tell me how to make them big enough to count anything.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    ok I'll try it again. I may have let go the + and - all at the same time as power.

Oh and also I could not make out any significant beams to accurately count. There is only a tiny light cluster at the top "0" depth and cannot actually count anything. Too small to be distinguishable? Not unless you tell me how to make them big enough to count anything.
    Probably I can count my beams because I have a Pro 16. But they are tiny and clustered together at the top "0" depth. Try using a full screen if you haven't.
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    Yeah I have full screen dedicated on my LIVE 12
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    Well Marc, I did a hard reset and restore defaults on AT and still missing the first beam closest to surface. I'm not going to move the AT ducer up one click to compensate because that just putting a bandaide on it.

YOu think I should call Lowrance or do they prefer email
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Here is a pic of what I am referring to. The interference is clearly missing across the top of the image at an angle across the top.
    I have the AT ducer set at the correct notch for shooting forward.

I have it mounted on an All Sync . I do not remember seeing this missing portion until recently. And it wasn't until recently that i was able to get rid of interference by stopping sonar on side and down

I've heard mention of "crystals" in a ducer responsible for the entire image? Could this be the case?
    Take it off of stable mode [if its on] and change your offset angle mentioned in this thread. Settings / sonar / activetarget installation, adjust angle offset and save.
    Last edited by bb45; 11-29-2023 at 05:45 PM.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

19. Member
    Well Marc, I did a hard reset and restore defaults on AT and still missing the first beam closest to surface. I'm not going to move the AT ducer up one click to compensate because that just putting a bandaide on it.

YOu think I should call Lowrance or do they prefer email
    Call in the morning they are not as busy middle of the week. Ask for a Manager if are not getting anywhere.

20. Member
    So I filled out the email request for service and received a prompt reply requesting some photo's and other info. I am hoping that i can get it resolved in this manner. The tech appears to be asking all the right questions' and offerings suggestions for things to try. So far so good!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast