Thread: Racing Fuel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Racing Fuel

Just stopped for gas at a Sunoco station in Ohio. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen 110 octane at the pump. For those interested it was $9.99/gallon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    Seen that at a few gas stations that are close to the local dirt tracks. I’ve also seen what I believe is pure ethanol for IMCA modifieds . It’s a really sweet smell when they are racing.
    Last edited by Doorman1; 11-13-2023 at 09:21 AM.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Member
    It’s a sure sign that a race track of some kind is close by.! Several stations in my area have racing fuel.! I live real close to an active drag strip and small airport.!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    We’re on US 35 just west of Pt. Pleasant. I’m sure there’s a track somewhere nearby but I don’t know where.

5. Member
    Q16 is about $24 per gallon now along with C16. Methanol is normally what is run but IMHO it doesn't smell very good unlike 110 and 114 fuels. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    If you're not running Oxygen sensors, I get C110 at a local airport.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Just stopped for gas at a Sunoco station in Ohio. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen 110 octane at the pump. For those interested it was $9.99/gallon.
    Cannadays in Boones Mill used to carry it, don't know if they still do. Franklin County Speedway is not that far from there, I guess the guys that race there were the ones buying it.

8. Member
    Not a bad price, pay more than that for VP racing fuels.

We always ran methanol instead of racing gas when my son and I raced.

10. Member
    I used to run that all the time in my Yamaha YZ 250's. A gas station up the road from us sold it for a few years then it disappeared and our local motorcycle shop started selling Sunoco 110...same stuff basically.

11. Member
    Wonder how it would work in my Opti Pro XS?

You can find the lower octane racing fuel at a bunch of stations around here. There's also a ton of race tracks too. $9.99/gal is about average for pump fuel around here. Now the C23 I run in both my Camaro and Mustang is $150 per 5 gallon pail, never mind just a couple years ago it was $95 a pail. So yeah $9.99 would be heaven.
    USMC Vet!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OconeeMike View Post
    Not a bad price, pay more than that for VP racing fuels.
    No doubt lol
    I remember paying 10+ for gt105, c14 c16 15 years ago at thr track...then i got smart and bought drums from VP and or torco back then
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    You can find the lower octane racing fuel at a bunch of stations around here. There's also a ton of race tracks too. $9.99/gal is about average for pump fuel around here. Now the C23 I run in both my Camaro and Mustang is $150 per 5 gallon pail, never mind just a couple years ago it was $95 a pail. So yeah $9.99 would be heaven.
    Wish you were closer, could save you at least $25 a can. CJ

15. Member
    Boy, you wouldn’t want to spill much of that!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Wish you were closer, could save you at least $25 a can. CJ
    Yeah that'd be nice. Right before the price jump I went down south to a race and they had it for $135 a pail, guess nobody in that area runs it and they hadn't ordered any in awhile. I bought every jug they had but I'm getting close to being out.
    USMC Vet!

I guess I’m the only old timer who remembers when Sunoco sold their 110 octane gas at all of their stations. That’s all I ran in my V8’s that required premium fuel back in the day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Member
    I used to pay around $5 per gallon for it when I raced oval dirt cars. I also used some aviation fuel in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Boy, you wouldn’t want to spill much of that!
    Man you got that right, you also have to be cognizant of how much you run the motor. In other words you just don't go out and fire it up just because you want to hear it run, LOL.
    USMC Vet!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Yeah that'd be nice. Right before the price jump I went down south to a race and they had it for $135 a pail, guess nobody in that area runs it and they hadn't ordered any in awhile. I bought every jug they had but I'm getting close to being out.
    I haven't checked but I am almost out of c16. I will ask about c23 4 you. Maybe my distributor has a contact in your area. I was shocked when I saw the size of his storage area full of racing fuels. He had 2 fresh pallets of q16 regular last time I was there, along with a bunch of barrels. Not normal for q as it does not like air. Cj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast