Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weber kettle restoration

Found a neglected O code (1992) red Weber Master Touch kettle BBQ on marketplace last week.

Got to work to disassemble it and give it a thorough clean inside and out. Lid is faded but hey! Its over 30 years old! I don’t think it had been cooked on for many years. Overall it wasn’t actually as bad as it looked at first.

The cooking grill was beyond saving, very badly rusted. Replaced it this morning with a heavy duty new GBS grill.

Replaced all the retaining nuts for the bail arm as they were very corroded.

Razor scraper got rid of most of the burnt and caked on stuff inside. Then OOOO fine steel wool and Simple Green detergent did the job to finish the cleaning of the bowl and lid and give it all a good polish. The aluminium parts - ash catcher, legs and ash catcher bracket, got rubbed over with medium wet and dry paper then the OOOO steel wool and finally metal polish. My IT geek son printed me new white walls for the wheels on his 3D printer!

About 8 hours put into it all up.

I have put some plastic handles on it temporarily while I get some timber ones organised. There were no handles on it when I got it.

The lid thermometer unfortunately doesnt work. Will call Weber Australia tomorrow to ask if they have them available. Fingers crossed. I have seen then from US based ebay and Amazon suppliers but the postage they charge is a bit of a killer….. especially for something that is basically an ornament anyway.

Gave it its first run today to do a beef shin low n slow using a snake. I used chunks of lychee wood for smoke. Nice sweet light smoke similar to cherry. I like it almost as much as banksia seedpods.

I think the new red fits in well with the H code green!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-12-2023 at 05:46 AM.

Looks great! Hard to beat a Weber grill.

3. triton
    You got it looking brand new....great restoration job !!!!

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

4. Member
    Looks very nice.

5. Member

The original and still the best. There is beauty in simplicity. Well done
    Ranting incoherently

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Nice job

9. Member
    Nice

10. Member
    Nice!! The vintage Kettle collectors are wild, I'm a huge Weber fan and would see people on FB groups with dozens of vintage Kettles in all colors. I've got an EI code from 1997 that was my Grandpaw's.

11. Member
    Just a little Trivia, I have a red Weber from years ago that I won with a Pepsi bottle cap promo.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Just a little Trivia, I have a red Weber from years ago that I won with a Pepsi bottle cap promo.
    Is it the little Smokey Joe?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Is it the little Smokey Joe?
    The normal "common" size, I do not know the name.

14. Member
    Very nice resto and cleanup! It took me a long time to get a Weber Kettle. I didn't care for the space ship look at the time. Now I wish I had gotten one a lot sooner. It is such a versatile grill.

15. Member
    The enamel coating makes the main part of the grill last almost forever. New hardware and grates and they are usually good to go.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

16. Member
    Good job...

17. Member
    Thanks all. Happy with how it came up.

I now have 4 full sized Weber charcoal kettles, a Smokey Mountain, a Go Anywhere and a Smokey Joe (20 years old but new in box) that my son picked up at an Op Shop for me. Oh, and a Weber Family Q gas BBQ.

All get used except the Smokey Joe.

You are right, some of the vintage/rare models are highly sought after and go for crazy $.

I called Weber Australia today and they are sending me the thermometer: $20. Cool!

This red one now that its all sorted would probably sell for around Au$250 -$300.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-12-2023 at 06:16 PM.

18. Member

Job “Well Done”

19. Member
    I have several grills but will still use the Kettle ever once in a while. Hard to beat! Great job on the restoration!

20. Member
    I started with the EI code mentioned earlier, my parents let me take it from home when I moved up here. After that came a 26" Kettle, a 18" WSM, 14" WSM on clearance at Walmart, a 22" Master Touch, a 3 burner Spirit, a Jumbo Joe, a 22" WSM, and a 3 burner Genisis II.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast