Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matt Robertson off-season compared to Jacob Foutz

After the Jacob Foutz thread with the video of his thoughts about being a professional angler I just had to post this. While the rookie was making his woe is me video Matt was in Maine for a week and fished 2 separate tournaments. He posted pics and results after both events and he also made a video while there catching smallmouth on Ugly Stik rods which is his main sponsor, in other words he was working not sitting on his butt complaining.

For those that don't know, Matt is putting on a "free no entry fee" team tournament on Hartwell in Dec. Only catch is that you have to be wearing some of his "on em" apparel to participate. First place is $2k and I expect there to be a huge turnout based on all the online chatter about it. I know Matt's antics and language bother some people but the dude works hard to get his brand out there. This tournament he's putting on is a perfect way to do that, plus his videos highlighting his sponsors. Matt unlike the kid, knows there is no off season. He's up north in Nov working on his smallmouth skills and putting out content.
    Anyone here going to fish his Hartwell tournament?

Screenshot_20231109-132220_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109-132912_Facebook.jpg

https://fb.watch/ocTtdGbY4y/?mibextid=CDWPTG

https://fb.watch/ocTBPRYE69/?mibextid=ZbWKwL

2. Member
    That's a great idea to get people to buy your stuff and pimp for your sponsors.

3. Member
    Matt also worked as a machinist grinding 80+ hour weeks for years as he was starting his career out. That dude knows how to work. You can look on Foutz's guide trip availability and the dude won't even book out weekends when a big percentage of potential clients are going to be available to work. Just on different planets when it comes to work ethic.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Fishing is like Racing, 1% is going to make a living doing it and the rest are hoping not to go broke to bad..

5. Member
    80+ hour weeks for years is tough. Glad he is putting out content. The world needs more content.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

You gotta want it. This generation wants everything given for no work. Quit be lazy!!

7. #FRB
    Matt seems like a good hearted and hard working guy. Would love the opportunity to fish with him one day.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Yea, but does Matt know it’s duck season?

9. Member
    Been very busy at work, haven’t had time to come here and read, so I missed the Jacob Foutz video. I’ll look for it.

That said, I had to Google Jacob Foutz to see who he was. I follow the Elite trail, and honestly had no idea who he is.

I admittedly don’t agree with some of what Robertson does, but good for him having a strong work ethic. That quality seems to be missing in many these days.

10. Member
    I wonder why he did it on Hartwell and not Ky. Lake

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Matt seems like a good hearted and hard working guy. Would love the opportunity to fish with him one day.
    ME TOO !!!

12. Member
    His viewership is up 3500% over the last few days. Highest percentage increase on any fishing videos in all of youtube.
    Marketing genius

13. Member
    Matt Robertson also has his own image, as sort of the good old "trailer park trash" fisherman. He acts like a country boy and fishes with Ugly Stiks so he appeals to a whole new audience. On top of that he is a really good fisherman and seems like a fun person. That attracts a lot more sponsors than another young college champion with a boatload of big screens who looks just like all the others and doesn't want to have to deal with people.

Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    Matt Robertson also has his own image, as sort of the good old "trailer park trash" fisherman. He acts like a country boy and fishes with Ugly Stiks so he appeals to a whole new audience. On top of that he is a really good fisherman and seems like a fun person. That attracts a lot more sponsors than another young college champion with a boatload of big screens who looks just like all the others and doesn't want to have to deal with people.

Robertson is a marketing genius. He knows exactly what he is doing. He gets "it" and he is living his dreams out. He ain't afraid to get out there and work his ass off to get it.

Its a platform not a job. You get to use for what you want. I imagine making it to the elites is part of the journey, making money while doing it is the biggest part. I'm sure Foutz understands that now and he knows he has to change. Reality is you have to have a personality that attracts people to you, and be marketable. I think that is what attracted alot of former elites to the MLF, guaranteed money they did not have to work for.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    I think BR200 and I might fish it. I will have to see if BR200 can fish or if he is ineligible since he is Matt's boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Robertson is a marketing genius. He knows exactly what he is doing. He gets "it" and he is living his dreams out. He ain't afraid to get out there and work his ass off to get it.
    Exactly and this tournament he's putting on is brilliant marketing wise.

He is good at marketing and moving product. He is showing value to his sponsors and moving product. He is able to show his value to his sponsors. Like him or not people know his name.
    Team Enigma Fishing

He is Matt. No act. He is who he is. He has always been passionate about his fishing for as long as I’ve known him. He understands what it takes to pursue your dream and is not afraid to work to achieve it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose720 View Post
    That's a great idea to get people to buy your stuff and pimp for your sponsors.
    Isn't that his job?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast