Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    dartag1829

Jacob Folts Elite Pro. Pretty honest video on being a pro.

Interesting video on his struggle to make it as a Pro. Almost feel sorry for the kid after watching it.

2. Member
    Brutal. Making 7K in sponsorship and continuing to fish the elites is tough decision. Don't know about him saying on the video that he hates guiding. Wouldn't make me too excited to book a trip with a guy that clearly isn't into it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Thanks for sharing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Brutal. Making 7K in sponsorship and continuing to fish the elites is tough decision. Don't know about him saying on the video that he hates guiding. Wouldn't make me too excited to book a trip with a guy that clearly isn't into it.
    I understand about the guiding thing. Have a good friend who guides full time. The stories he has about some of his clients and their abilities and expectations are hilarious but definitely tells me it's not something I would have patience for.

This was probably the most depressing 20 minute video I've seen in quite some time - this dude is the emo of fisherman. He openly states he hates dealing with people, that he probably won't do this for much longer and has basically sheltered himself from all social activities including proms, homecomings and other activities he enjoys... and wonder why sponsors won't give him any money???

Sad to say but he's a poor decision maker. He knows he has zero personality and knows to make a living in fishing you need to be able to influence people, yet keeps throwing good money after bad.

Unfortunately based on this video the lesson for up-and-comers is don't be this guy. Yikes.

6. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    This was probably the most depressing 20 minute video I've seen in quite some time - this dude is the emo of fisherman. He openly states he hates dealing with people, that he probably won't do this for much longer and has basically sheltered himself from all social activities including proms, homecomings and other activities he enjoys... and wonder why sponsors won't give him any money???

Sad to say but he's a poor decision maker. He knows he has zero personality and knows to make a living in fishing you need to be able to influence people, yet keeps throwing good money after bad.

Unfortunately based on this video the lesson for up-and-comers is don't be this guy. Yikes.

I replied to his video ( Old man talking here ). He stated what he needed to do now just do it. He even said " It isn't about catching fish anymore it's social media ". Work on your presentation skills. Wish him well.

7. Member

You are not wrong. If you were a sponsor and watched that video, would you want to invest any money into his career? Fishing has always been like this too, its nothing new. You are a salesman first and foremost, and if you can really catch them it's just a bonus.

Guys like this need to just get a regular job and fish regionally. I don't see the elites ever working out for that personality type unless all the sudden they become the second coming of KVD and start ripping off wins.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    I replied to his video ( Old man talking here ). He stated what he needed to do now just do it. He even said " It isn't about catching fish anymore it's social media ". Work on your presentation skills. Wish him well.
    Billy and Bobby Murray told me in the early 80's that there is a lot more money in talking about fishing than there is in fishing.

P01135809

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You are not wrong. If you were a sponsor and watched that video, would you want to invest any money into his career? Fishing has always been like this too, its nothing new. You are a salesman first and foremost, and if you can really catch them it's just a bonus.

Guys like this need to just get a regular job and fish regionally. I don't see the elites ever working out for that personality type unless all the sudden they become the second coming of KVD and start ripping off wins.
    My guess is he had a privileged upbringing - mom and dad supported him, encouraged him to chase his dreams etc etc but didn't give him the hard lessons in life. This video is exhibit A about his lack of awareness - #1 rule of marketing yourself is to NOT PUT OUT A VIDEO SHOWING HOW BAD YOU SUCK AT MARKETING!!

I'm sure he's a nice kid and could outfish most of us, but what he needs is better guidance in life. Go sell some windows or telemarketing to learn those hard sales lessons. Start being more social and outgoing. Try to be a happier dude and develop a gravitas in order to be more influential. Then once he's a little older and wiser give it another go.

OR maybe the lesson he learns is the best things in life don't always have to be chasing the grand dream. Make some friends, have some good times, meet a cute little girl and go start a family. I sense some depression setting in for this kid and he needs to watch out and not let it spiral out of control.

OR maybe the lesson he learns is the best things in life don't always have to be chasing the grand dream. Make some friends, have some good times, meet a cute little girl and go start a family. I sense some depression setting in for this kid and he needs to watch out and not let it spiral out of control.
    I’d say this will be the lesson many have to learn. It’s awesome to dream and to chase it, but part of growing up is realizing if it’s not meant to be that there are better things out there for you. If it’s depressing you and causing you to lose out on important life experiences then I would rethink my path in life. Life is too short to be chasing a “dream” that causes you to stress out and hate your life or keep you from having a family etc

My guess is he had a privileged upbringing - mom and dad supported him, encouraged him to chase his dreams etc etc but didn't give him the hard lessons in life. This video is exhibit A about his lack of awareness - #1 rule of marketing yourself is to NOT PUT OUT A VIDEO SHOWING HOW BAD YOU SUCK AT MARKETING!!

I'm sure he's a nice kid and could outfish most of us, but what he needs is better guidance in life. Go sell some windows or telemarketing to learn those hard sales lessons. Start being more social and outgoing. Try to be a happier dude and develop a gravitas in order to be more influential. Then once he's a little older and wiser give it another go.

You’re on the money with your take. My impression would be he’s holding on to something that has already let him go. Sometimes you have to take a step back and reevaluate where you’re at and where you’re going. He seems a little too concerned about what a “pro” fisherman is. If he’s a capable angler, which obviously he is, forget the elites and jump in some regional trails and have some fun and win a few dollars. True enough, you’d likely have to get a real job, but it sure as hell beats worrying about if you can pay the light bill while trying to live a particular lifestyle.

this 100%!

I feel bad for him. Unfortunately, a boring/bland personality is something not a lot of people care about. Now if the guy learned to tell good jokes at weigh in or chugged a beer out of a boot at weigh in, maybe he could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I’d say this will be the lesson many have to learn. It’s awesome to dream and to chase it, but part of growing up is realizing if it’s not meant to be that there are better things out there for you. If it’s depressing you and causing you to lose out on important life experiences then I would rethink my path in life. Life is too short to be chasing a “dream” that causes you to stress out and hate your life or keep you from having a family etc
    100%

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Cliff Pace comes to mind after wathching this video. Not the most outgoing or, talkative guy but, he's made it work with a rod & reel. He also has a knack for making very good wood crankbaits & made that work.

"Companies are not dishing out a lot of money for us".
    When I owned a tackle company, there was a never-ending stream of folks asking about getting free tackle, getting sponsorship... basically "What can YOU do for ME?".
    The only question an angler should be asking a sponsor is "What can I do for YOU?".

This guy admittedly brings nothing to the table that would make a sponsor consider having him on their team. No personality, no presence on SM, "quiet guy" which may translate to not very approachable by crowds at sport shows, tournaments, corporate presentations, etc. etc.

Granted it's a catch-22 scenario... you need to be winning money and be recognizable before sponsors start recruiting YOU, but it takes $$ to get to that point. He can either change who he is (unlikely), or change his profession as others have mentioned.

16. Member
    Dude needs to take the video down asap if he wants to continue on. He is in the wrong profession.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

17. Member
    Dude been living under a rock if he thought he could just go out there and catch fish and the sponsors would come calling. Social media and building your own brand isn't anything new. That was the whole point of the Elites when they started years ago.

18. Member

The thing about the sales type, is it's really hard to fake it. You don't see guys who are completely terrible at it completely transform into a killer pro staff guy who sponsors are bidding for. Kind of like trying to take a guy who can't hardly tie his shoes and put him in a trade, its just likely not going to work.

19. Member
    My opinion and I stand behind him.......

Guys, he is 100% truthful. He fished and earned his way to the highest level of fishing and still funds himself. Professional fishing and the system is broke all because of social media and patch pirates. When 100 guys can't make a damn good living at the top of the sport, the system is broke. It's a sad day when a novice angler with modern production equipment can generate more income that a top level angler.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint River Nut View Post
    My opinion and I stand behind him.......

Guys, he is 100% truthful. He fished and earned his way to the highest level of fishing and still funds himself. Professional fishing and the system is broke all because of social media and patch pirates. When 100 guys can't make a damn good living at the top of the sport, the system is broke. It's a sad day when a novice angler with modern production equipment can generate more income that a top level angler.
    The sport has a tiny audience. Sponsors are getting smarter. You have to move product, and the youtuber is going to move 100X what the anonymous fringe pro does. It's unfortunate, but nobody is entitled to earn a living fishing.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast