Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Old age and 40 yrs tourney fishing taking it's toll

Getting old is not for sissies...lol venting believe me that is a true statement I have some arthritis and I'm 71 yrs old , been battling a sore neck since aug and now my right wrist has a problem with the subsheath tendon acu or something .Going to surgeon today for reading of MRI on neck and can't see my hand dr till dec 20th .I only take tylenol for pain and tried different creams but none seem to work...lol thank God it's the off season right now fish when the weather is decent but won't push it so I'm ready and back to shape when the season restarts..lol thanks for letting me vent...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. dartag1829
    yep 68 here. Just finishing Rotator Cuff PT. Have not fished at all since Aug. 21. Plan is to fish in January when I get to Florida. Not rushing it. Around here I switched to Tuesday morning derbies a couple years ago. One is a Senior Series which if fun. Bunch of Old guys fishing. Let the kids beat it out on the weekends. Keep at it.

3. Member
    There is no substitute for youth.

4. Member
    Twitch, I feel your pain.

Chronic back pain makes it tough to fish all day now.

I am thankful to still be able to go at all. 79 and counting.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

73 with psoriatic arthritis and spinal stenosis. Terrible back pain, mostly between the shoulder blades, after any kind of activity requiring the use of my arms. I'm already on the strongest dose of Naproxen and Plaqunil along with Humaira. Cooking, tying jigs, fishing, puts me into some eye watering back pain. Prednisone helps but it can't be taken long term. Doc told me to take one the night before a fishing trip and another then next morning then no more for a week. That gets me through about half a day of fishing but I was suffering by the time I quit for the day, My family doc wants me to go for epidural steroid shots and I'm really against that stuff. My rheumatologist said I should go straight to back surgery and get the laminectomy....and I said, "NO NO NO!
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    It sucks ---havnt fished in months , both wrist are shot . Did the EMG test on them last month. No Carpal Tunnel , crap i was hoping that what it was because they could fix that. Doc said it is Arthritis .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Twitch......Theres an off season? Those Cape smallies are calling you!!!!

8. Member
    Almost 68. Been flat on my back and not being able to fish much sucks.Bone on bone and pinched nerve L2-3 Going in next Wednesday for lumbar fusion. Hopefully back fishing in February

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Twitch......Theres an off season? Those Cape smallies are calling you!!!!
    That last one I posted in the New england forum on monday nearly tore my wrist off ...lol need a break or something we shall see

70 and still fishing strong but I can certainly empathize. I have to be careful as I fish pretty intensely and tend to ignore aches and pains. I've had stop using braid completely except on the froggin rod. Braid on spinning rods would mess up my elbows every year. One upside of the winter season up here is that the body gets a break and a chance to heal. That could be the only upside.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    It sucks ---havnt fished in months , both wrist are shot . Did the EMG test on them last month. No Carpal Tunnel , crap i was hoping that what it was because they could fix that. Doc said it is Arthritis .
    That sux. What did the doc recommend for it?
    Had mine a week ago and he says “moderate” carpal tunnel. My arms fall asleep and my fingers are stiff and sore. I am trying the wrist wrap gloves and excercise. I tried wrist wrap gloves from Walgreens and they didn’t really help. I found my old wrist wraps given to me by the therapist who fit them with adjustable strings and after one week I am getting some good results. 4 years ago they completely solved the problem. We will see if they can pull another miracle. I do have some arthritis in a couple of knuckles that I know won’t go away.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    There is no substitute for youth.
    X2

Shoulders, wrists, neck, knees and back and now I'm getting ready to retire and really hit the lakes.
    Will go until I can't, then I'll go as a back seater.

13. Member
    I am really Blessed by God. I am 69, had heart bypass, two back surgeries, and have been dealing with Cancer for the past five years. Have treatments at CTCA in Atlanta every three months to keep it in check. Fished 17 tournaments this year with many practice days. Currently have 19 scheduled for next year. I am so blessed to have a wife that supports my passion for bass fishing. We will be married 50yrs this December. Am I blessed ? I thank God every morning for giving me another day. I don't have bad days, my body might, but not my spirit.

14. Member
    I am worn out also but I don’t fight tournament fishing. I don’t feel like I could hold up to the demand of going at times. Some days I could handle it but with my luck the day of the tournament is when I would be hurting. Not just fishing either just regular chores around home can be tough on certain days. You are older than me so I think you have been lucky and blessed to be able to fish competitively this far. Hang in there!

I’m 77 and I still tournament fish at least one a month. So far so good. The hardest thing that I deal with is carrying a heavy weigh in bag full of water and fish to the scale. I do not have a lot of strength at my age. The second hardest thing is after a day of tournament fishing I am exhausted and don’t even think about fishing for at least a few days. Im very fortunate because I don’t have any medical issues or aches or pains. I fish at least three days a week and golf at least three days. Those two keep me in shape.

16. Member
    Al, your problem is you just don't know how to cool it.. You know I have a little problem now and every time I try to over do it, like wash the car of work with all the leaves ,my temp will go up ? And you, if it's a good day with the right wind, we all know that you want to be on the water and Basscat 21 don't help at all ?

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Well the dr. recomended no surgery for the neck just physical therapy, so that's good now if the hand dr will take care of the wrist ,I'll be ok shoulder I can deal with and other aches and pains lol Hope your doing well my friend and don't over do it ok give the wife a kiss for me

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Well the dr. recomended no surgery for the neck just physical therapy, so that's good now if the hand dr will take care of the wrist ,I'll be ok shoulder I can deal with and other aches and pains lol Hope your doing well my friend and don't over do it ok give the wife a kiss for me
    I just gave her a kiss and now we are off to Boston ..... Three month check up ?

19. Member
    Getting old is starting to suck. I turn 65 on Friday. I pulled the plug on fishing in July after 32 years doing club level tournaments. First time since I got the bass fishing bug in 1988 I didnt fish till ice. Started taking pills for my heart and I lost motivation/energy. Too many ups and downs till I am fully moderated. Good news is I am starting to get my fitness back slowly. Hopefully I feel better by April. If not I have over 600 events under my belt and enough good memories.

20. Member
    No tournaments but still get out 4-5 times a week and between the knees and thoracic area............will go until they break or freeze up permanently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast