Needing 250 SS purchase info

I'm replacing a 1998 Johnson Venom on a 1998 Viper Cobra 201d. The boat is in near perfect, and I've put a lot of time and work into it. I had the engine rebuilt last year and it dropped a piston right after the 100% warranty expired, of course. I don't even want to put my 50% into at this point. Any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a Suzuki DF250SS? Is there a big difference between the 202 and 2023 models? I found a couple of 22's for sale that are cheaper, but I don't want something that isn't good. I do need to save as much as possible though.

I'm also wondering about an engine monitor, like a Smart Craft gauge, and if that's available for the Suzuki. Also wondering about digital VS manual throttle and shift advantages VS cost.

Appreciate any help you can give.

2. Member
    Cant help you with price but can help you with the engine gauge question.

The best gauge option by far is now the Suzuki “SMG4” gauge. Super reliable, and gives you all the engine info you need.

Plus, on new engines, it also incorporates Suzuki’s “troll mode” which allows you to vary engine rpm in 50rpm steps from idle up to 1200rpm.

And, it also has a feature that allows you to create and download a ecu report that can be sent via a phone app to your Suzuki dealer in the (rare) event that anything goes wrong. They can access that report and provide a diagnosis to help you take the appropriate action.

Lastly, on AP (fly by wire) models it also activates an auto trim feature. I have put a link below to a video that Suzuki Australia put out that runs thru the SMG4 features.

I would no longer recommend the alternative Suzuki gauge - the C-10. It uses the Suzuki engine interface cable and is good while it works, but the interface cables are somewhat notorious for having issues and that translates to loss of engine data on the gauge. SMG4 does not use the interface cable so it does not have those issues.

What make/model MFD’s (graphs) do you have on the boat? I may be able to tell you how to get the best out of the connection to SMG4 if I know what you have.

SMG4 networks via NMEA2000 with most brands/models of MFD and shares most engine data with those displays, plus it uses GPS data from them to give you real time and average mpg, trip distance, trip time and speed over ground.

Speaking of AP models, the 250AP produces more torque across the rev range than the mechanical control version, its got more advanced electronics, delivering better fuel economy thru lean burn technology, is smoother and quieter and is so much better that here where I am, in Australia, Suzuki doesn’t even offer the mechanical control version for sale any longer.

I have driven several offshore type boats with fly by wire Suzukis and they are very nice to run, super smooth and light controls, it does take a little bit of time to get used to that but once you do its fantastic. I gather they are available with the hot foot for bassboats as well. Seen some good reviews of that.

I would venture the opinion that the AP (fly by wire) version is a no-brainer for these reasons. Yes it will cost a bit more but well worth it.

Hope this info helps.

3. Member
    I appreciate the information. I spoke with a dealer, and he also said the digital version was incredible, but also over $5k difference in price between the motor and controls. That takes me from $22,595 to $28,000 really quick. Since it's on a 1998 boat, I'm reluctant to make that step. I'm still waiting on a response from the shop that built my motor to see how much a repair will cost. I just hate putting more money into a 1998 Johnson Venom 200.

4. Member
    The weight difference of a new 4 stroke over your venom might be an issue for your hull? Older hulls tend to be narrower, so less buoyancy for carrying the extra weight.

5. Member
    I never thought about that. I was just going by the unlimited HP rating on my plate. Are all the 4 strokes that much heavier?

6. Member
    It depends and not all manufacturers use the same standard for outboard weight. Suzuki weigh theirs with the cowling covers on while Mercury removes their cowlings to to weight and make it seem like it is lighter when in reality it’s not. With lithium batteries, you can make up or minimize the weight difference.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

7. Member
    Not sure if it matters, but my Cobra has a 7 person capacity on the rating plate. Don’t remember the weight limit, but it’s a lot. Does that make a difference when installing the heavier motor?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgfan58 View Post
    Not sure if it matters, but my Cobra has a 7 person capacity on the rating plate. Don’t remember the weight limit, but it’s a lot. Does that make a difference when installing the heavier motor?
    I doubt it. I'm sure you'll be fine with installing the new 250SS.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

9. Member
    Another thing to think of…. If you havent already.

Your 1998 Johnson was likely rated 200hp@ the flywheel.

The new motors are rated at the prop.

You could consider the Suzuki 200SS. Inline 4cyl.

I see they have given it a better final gear ratio than the normal DF200A or AP for you bassboat guys.

And its a good bit lighter and smaller than the V6 250’s.

And you can carry half the gas you needed to take with the Johnson (Im not joking either)