Got to be some kayakers here?

What are y’all running? What’s the best out there…with/without trolling motor?

Haven’t been much this year but I fish out of a Hobie Pro Angler for easy launch spots. I also have a Pelican Catch for off grid spots and having to drag thru the woods.

3. Member
    I use mine on a couple of places that don't have ramps - only been out on it a few times this season though. Old Town Predator XL (13'-4") w/ 45 Minnkota pod. Love the stability, hate the weight for those remote spots. If I could justify it, I'd be looking hard at the O.T. Autopilot or sportsman pdl106

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

4. Member
    Due to low water and fuel prices, I bought a kayak almost two years ago. Wound up going with a Perception Outlaw 11.5. By no means would I say it's the best, but it's extremely stable and because it was not as pricey (around $850 at the time) I was able to afford other add-ons like a Motorguide xi3 kayak trolling motor, which has spot lock among other features. Now I almost exclusively fish out of the kayak and only take my boat out a couple times a year. My biggest piece of advice would be to figure out how you like to fish (standing or sitting) because that will be a big factor in what type of kayak is best for you. Since I'm used to standing in a bass boat, I wanted a kayak where I could spend most of my time standing. That meant getting one that was stable, but also meant that I would be best served getting a trolling motor since it's harder to paddle standing up and you can't pedal and stand at the same time. And since I have spot lock and course lock, I can fish instead of constantly re-positioning due to wind or current.

I was in kayaks for close to 10 years then switched over to one of these back in 2019. Best thing I ever did.

My 14’ weighs about 65 lbs empty which is about the same as a bare non pedal kayak.

This video is one of the best ways to explain it. It’s as stable as shown in the video, no parlor tricks going on. I’m 59 and in good shape, I have zero issues fishing 7-10 hours at a time. I could never do that in my yaks.

Here’s a link to the manufacture’s site - https://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

Ranting incoherently

I also have a 16 foot Coleman canoe thats super stable.

Pelican Catch with the Hydrive. I also have a watersnake trolling motor that fits in the drive slot.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I’ve been with Hobie for years and currently have two camo Pro Angler 14s with the Mirage Drive 180. Both are set up with Torqeedo 1103 motors on Innovative Sportsman motor brackets and have the Innovative Sportsman foot steering kits. I run Humminbird Helix 7 MSI units on both and the one I fish tournaments out of also has a Garmin 106SV with a Fishing Specialties transducer down rod for the LVS34 LiveScope transducer. They’re sitting on an On The Water Innovations Tourney Double trailer and admittedly I don’t use them many places that don’t have an actual boat landing. That’s okay though as I’m a tourney junky and 99% of kayak tournaments these days don’t lend themselves to backwater launching in remote areas.

I do have a Hobie iTrek11 inflatable that I can throw around and carry through the woods on the rare occasion that I need to launch in the middle of nowhere. It’s stripped down with no electronics currently and weights about 45lbs fully assembled with seat and drive.

After the Covid pandemic screwed up things, it gave us a chance to do more float trips than just the 1-2 a year we would try to do for family get together. Previously we would rent canoes/kayaks for the 6 - 8 of us. Then our daughter decided she wanted to get a couple of kayaks for her and her husband. So she bought 2 Lifetime Teton kayaks and asked me to pick them up (I work 2 miles from the local Dick's Sporting Goods). Since they lived in a duplex, we stored them at our house. My wife and I wound up finding a Rogue River 14' canoe with paddles, so that was good for getting most of the group taken care of.
    Eventually, my wife and I purchased two more Lifetime Teton kayaks last spring when they were on sale. So, now we have enough for 6 people to float. BUT, I'm more of a "Santa Claus" build; the Teton has a wt cap of 275 lbs, I'm 250, so it's do-able, but not carrying any drinks or gear.
    Thus my final purchase this summer was my FeelFree Moken 10v kayak. I've gotta say, it's the same length as the Teton, but wt cap is 400 lbs; it sits a little higher than the Teton even in the low chair position; the "wheel in the keel" makes it easy to move around at a ramp by myself.
    So, 4 Lifetime Tetons, 1 Rogue River 14, and 1 FeelFree Moken 10v in the family.

All depends on who you talk to....over the last 13 years I have fished out of Lifetime, Ascend, Feelfree, NuCanoe and Hobie kayaks. All of them have their plusses and minuses. I have been in my Hobie PA14 for 3 years now and the pedal drive has been great for me...although the cost of ownership has been much higher than my previous kayaks.

If you want the top of the line setup...get a wide/stable kayak like the NuCanoe Unlimited with a bow mount trolling motor with spot lock, or get a Hobie PA with pedal drive. I'm not a Hobie fanboy, but they do have the best pedal drive out of all the brands.

Agreed. I like the Hobies, just can't justify the cost with the amount of use. Plus I got a kayak for the convenience of pulling it out of my truck. Don't want another trailer. The Pelican at $1200 was a good trade off.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

12. Member
    Picked up a Nucanoe Unlimited this year, and I love it. Took a couple months to build it to where it is now, and I still have a few things to do. Running and Xi3 with pinpoint and a 106sv/GT56. It's the jam.

IMG_0311.jpg

Looks sharp!
    2016 Nitro Z21

14. Member
    I've got a lifetime Teton pro. Just ordered a vibe shearwater 125 today.