Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Boat parking at hotel etiquette question?

Question for discussion. Maybe there is a clear cut answer on this and not really discussion.

Heard "3rd hand" story about an incident at the Toyota Championship this week where one angler had his parking spot saved with cones or whatever. Another angler came in and moved the cones and parked in his spot. Needless to say, this causes a little bit of a heated discussion between the two. I have had this happen personally to me years and years ago at a BFL regional. We had a guy actually walk into our hotel room and accuse us of moving his cones and parking in his spot. We had no idea what he was talking about so there was almost a fight over nothing to do with us.

Does a person have the right to mark a spot at a hotel that possibly has limited or first come/first serve parking or nothing specifically assigned to your room? What do you think?

2. Member
    This is the reason I always just rent a house on b&b

don’t have to do anything and get people together and it’s cheaper

3. Member
    Saw Roland do that at Top 100 tx at Old Hickory in 1996.

4. #FRB
    Unless they own the spot or it's assigned to the room it's first come first serve. In my opinion if someone marks the spot with cones to "reserve" it they're begging someone to move the cones and take that spot. That's no different from someone taking up several parking spots to keep other cars away from their vehicle. They're begging someone to key it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I personally believe they do not have that right. When I get to a hotel I make sure I have everything done to the boat that I need to, that way i park it and leave it, if i need something else I unhook, lock it and leave.

Been to a few that were setup for fisherman and had assigned parking. That was nice you were guaranteed a spot right in front of your room.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Those cones mean absolutely nothing, and if the lot is crowded and you need room to park you can pull right in IMO.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Banned
    Nope, Id throw those cones as far as I could. First come first serve. If you need a spot that badly then get there earlier like the rest of us.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Unless they own the spot or it's assigned to the room it's first come first serve. In my opinion if someone marks the spot with cones to "reserve" it they're begging someone to move the cones and take that spot. That's no different from someone taking up several parking spots to keep other cars away from their vehicle. They're begging someone to key it.
    Simply this!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Those cones mean absolutely nothing, and if the lot is crowded and you need room to park you can pull right in IMO.
    But how do you know they didn't make special arrangements with management? Up to mgmt. to put flyer on cones but someone might just remover flyer as well?

I would never think to put cones out to reserve my parking spot in a public parking lot. Now I've had someone park in a spot to hold it for me many times.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

11. Member
    If it was the last spot in the lot, I would move them and park. If there any other spots available, I would move on park there.

This thread is a great example of the lack of common courtesy shown towards other humans now a days. Sure it isn't against the law to either place the cones or move the cones. Just comes down to "treat others as you would like to be treated"

12. Member
    In Chicago there is a tradition called “dibs” which means if you dig out a parking spot in winter you can put a chair in your spot and it’s yours. A Chgo Tribune reporter named Eric Zorn wrote an article challenging dibs and said he would move the chair and claim the spot. The Tribune was flooded with letters inviting Zorn to come and claim their spots. They said Zorn’s car would buried under tons of snow and ice, and he wouldn’t see it until Spring.

13. Member
    yea, no

they do the same thing here for bourbon drops...people will sit out a chair to "save" their spot in line....no go

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    In Chicago there is a tradition called “dibs” which means if you dig out a parking spot in winter you can put a chair in your spot and it’s yours. A Chgo Tribune reporter named Eric Zorn wrote an article challenging dibs and said he would move the chair and claim the spot. The Tribune was flooded with letters inviting Zorn to come and claim their spots. They said Zorn’s car would buried under tons of snow and ice, and he wouldn’t see it until Spring.
    What else would you expect from Chicago.

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Cones are weak.

One must put forth a little more effort if they intend to be a successful spot saver...

Who controls John Gill?

16. Member
    I used to see people use the cones in a hotel where there was no outside plugins for recharging. I understand that and respect that. I had an issue similar while fishing a regional. I was backing into my spot in front of my room. I was a bit crooked, and a car was waiting to get by. Or so I thought. I pulled back out to let him get by and he whipped into my spot. Thankfully there was another spot right beside that spot, but it was really tight as the boat in the next spot was on that side of the space. I was able to squeeze in. To my delight that left that coangler with no room to get into his driver side door. He had to enter the vichicle from the passenger side. I'm sure glad we didn't draw out together.

17. Member
    I wouldn't park there but I would take the cones and make them disappear or "reserve" a spot the farthest away from the hotel as possible. The entitlement to think you can put cones out to save your spot is disgusting to me.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    But how do you know they didn't make special arrangements with management? Up to mgmt. to put flyer on cones but someone might just remover flyer as well?

I'd let management let me know, not the guy throwing cones out.

I just know the same type of personality that throws cones out to reserve a parking spot and throws a fit when someone parks in it, is the exact type of guy to pull into a spot someone has reserved when the entire lot is empty
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Was at Cayuga, and guys put their cover in the spot.....when they came back, no covers....someone put them in the dumpster......

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Was at Cayuga, and guys put their cover in the spot.....when they came back, no covers....someone put them in the dumpster......
    People are nice to each other these days. Good to see us all getting along.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast