Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is a used aluminum boat really an economical choice anymore?

A few years ago an aluminum boat was the way to go if you are on a budget since they were considerably cheaper than a fiberglass. Now I am seeing 3-5 year old 18-19' aluminum boats going for anywhere from 25K to 35K or even more. Does it really make since to get one anymore when you can find plenty of nice used fiberglass boats in that price range?

2. Member
    I don’t think so. Might as well go fiberglass or new aluminum if you are into them imo.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    There is a 2017 Bass Cat Sabre with a 150 for 32K and a brand new 2023 Ranger 198P aluminum with a 150 for 36K on the for sale boards here. I am sure some examples can illustrate your point but I think there is still some pretty good differences in some situations.

You are at about roughly the same money for a new aluminum Ranger as a 6 or 7 year old glass boat in the above example... and the glass boat is smaller.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. #FRB
    The new aluminum bass boats are pretty nice now. Considering a lot of new aluminum boats with a 150hp are north or 40k you just have to take it for what it is. A new Xpress H18 with a 115hp is around 35k now with modest rigging and that's about as basic of a boat as it gets. It's all in how you look at it. The used market for aluminum bass boats seems to still be pretty hot. Anything in good shape and perfect running will sell for a premium price. If you find one you like for sale you need to jump on it YESTERDAY.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    They are being rigged with nice electronics and accessories like power poles that help to get price up there also

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerbrent View Post
    They are being rigged with nice electronics and accessories like power poles that help to get price up there also
    I am talking about the used ones.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    There is a 2017 Bass Cat Sabre with a 150 for 32K and a brand new 2023 Ranger 198P aluminum with a 150 for 36K on the for sale boards here. I am sure some examples can illustrate your point but I think there is still some pretty good differences in some situations.

You are at about roughly the same money for a new aluminum Ranger as a 6 or 7 year old glass boat in the above example... and the glass boat is smaller.
    Pros and con's to both. I'm guessing the ride difference is significant enough that I'd lean towards the sabre out of those two
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Pros and con's to both. I'm guessing the ride difference is significant enough that I'd lean towards the sabre out of those two
    But the front deck on the Sabre is TINY! That said, I've gotten to a point in life where I care more about how the boat feels with the trolling motor down and you have to make some tough choices when the boat budget is made to keep the boat from being a financial burden.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    the motor, options and trailer are now very signficant portions of total boat cost- well over 50%. the hull material cost is fading. I think the case for Alum is the abuse it can take fishing in tough areas.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    ........................................I think the case for Alum is the abuse it can take fishing in tough areas.

Yep I wouldn't want a glass boat for where and how I fish.

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    Yep I wouldn't want a glass boat for where and how I fish.
    And if you get a scratch on aluminum you're probably way less likely to have a coronary. I like how Xpress sprays the top cap in bedliner.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    the motor, options and trailer are now very signficant portions of total boat cost- well over 50%. the hull material cost is fading. I think the case for Alum is the abuse it can take fishing in tough areas.
    Maybe HD welded Aluminum hulls like a weldcraft but I have been doing some research on Lunds, Alumacraft etc etc V bottoms and it seems like wood in the transom and rivet issues are a huge problem with even boats as new as 2010
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    That said, I've gotten to a point in life where I care more about how the boat feels with the trolling motor down
    This, I am a TM down fishing guy.

I just concluded that over the last 10 years, over 90% of my time on the water was TM down, motor off. I don't spend much time running the big motor.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

I’d say it’s more about where and how you fish. Aluminum can take a lot of abuse.

15. Member
    new 20 foot vexus is more than my new 519c which is basically 20 foot
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    I have both, best of both worlds!

17. Member
    I have always had fiberglass, although I would love to come across a good aluminum boat I can use as a beater boat on those up river days, problem is I feel if you knock a hole in a fiberglass boat it can be fixed like it was never there, a hole in metal boat will be there forever

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I’d say it’s more about where and how you fish. Aluminum can take a lot of abuse.
    /\this 100%/\

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I have both, best of both worlds!
    I had this as well up until last month. Sold my 18ft aluminum due to lack of use. In the near future, I'll have both again.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    I have always had fiberglass, although I would love to come across a good aluminum boat I can use as a beater boat on those up river days, problem is I feel if you knock a hole in a fiberglass boat it can be fixed like it was never there, a hole in metal boat will be there forever
    have you ever heard of welding?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast